Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JFKinYK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hello Campfire-

I recently acquired an old 30-30 that has seen better days. Any advice where to start? Is it worth trying to save it myself? Get professional help?

Thoughts on value in current condition (if any!)?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Is the bore good?

A friend of mine had an old Marlin given to him that had been left in a basement. The outside was horrible looking, but it had a good bore. So, he removes the rust and coats it with spray-on truck bed lining.

It actually looks good.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Oil and 0000 steel wool will do wonders for it. Hope it shoots well.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What are you planning to do with it? I bought this one to use as my truck gun. The outside had seen its better days (although yours is pretty rough) but the bore is shiny as a new dime. Just use a bit of steel wool, throw some oil on the stock, put a Williams Firesight on the front and a FP on the back, and you're in business.

[Linked Image]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Send me your address and I'll send you $75 for it. That should take all your worry away. powdr

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need to let a smith disassemble, clean and inspect before you try to run a round through that thing.

The outside can be fixed, it's the inside that would have me worried.

Chances are the magazine tube is full of crap, the spring is toast and there is the possibility of a rusted, protruding firing pin sending one down range as soon as you lever it...or it becomes stuck after firing the first shot and you get a surprise bang levering it for a 2nd...

An out of battery ignition isn't something you want to experience with a gun in that condition...Especially with a lever gun that has top ejection - Good bye nose and eye.

If you want to keep the rifle, spend the coin to have a smith give it a good going over.

Money well spent.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks fine to me.

Shoot it and see how it does. Even if the bore is rough, it may shoot just fine.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
You need to let a smith disassemble, clean and inspect before you try to run a round through that thing.

Chances are the magazine tube is full of crap, the spring is toast and there is the possibility of a rusted, protruding firing pin sending one down range as soon as you lever it...or it becomes stuck after firing the first shot and you get a surprise bang levering it for a 2nd...

An out of battery ignition isn't something you want to experience with a gun in that condition...Especially with a lever gun that has top ejection - Good bye nose and eye.

If you want to keep the rifle, spend the coin to have a smith give it a good going over.

Money well spent.

That's good advice, especially the possibility of a protruding firing pin. Always a surprise, never fun.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Things must be pretty tough in Yellowknife. lol you can probably fix it but you need to study on how to blue rifles and polish bores. Rework the stain and clear coat on the wood. Your on the right site for that.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Oil it up. Put a receiver sight on it. And throw it under the seat of your truck.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have found using steel wool and hoppes does a good job removing rust

Last edited by bangeye; 04/09/14.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lots of steel wool and elbow grease. If the bore is shot have JES Reboring open it up to 35 Maine Guide (35/30-30) or 38-55. Definitely strip the action and clean and inspect all the parts or have it done. Replace the mag spring. It's likely toast like one of the preceding posters stated. After all that go shoot some stuff with it. Everybody needs a good beater gun that your not afraid to use in any weather.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It would be way overboard expense wise, but after all the cleaning and replacing the needed parts, you could have the Birdsong company coat it with their Black-T...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well fine steel wool and hoppe's # 9 will take most of it off, provided its not a lot of pitting damage - Check the bore first. It would be best to have a gunsmith buff it out for you, there might be a few parts that will need to be replaces. I

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Clean it, shoot it, and next winter refinish it. I'd buy a gunkote kit for the metal, and refinish the stock and call it good to go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd send end it to one of these internet genies who can magically proclaim it's safe based on 4 pics and let them shoot it.

I doubt anyone who would say this has much experience with lever guns or even understands what happens when an OBD occurs with one of these rifles.

Getting part of your face blown off with a $50 dollar gun takes the fun out of shooting.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

Money well spent.

^^^^^^^
What he said.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd send end it to one of these internet genies who can magically proclaim it's safe based on 4 pics and let them shoot it.

I doubt anyone who would say this has much experience with lever guns or even understands what happens when an OBD occurs with one of these rifles.

Getting part of your face blown off with a $50 dollar gun takes the fun out of shooting.

So you can magically decide it's unsafe from 4 pics? Did you notice how the pic with the lever partially open shows the internals to be devoid of rust?

I've seen much, much worse lever action rifles that were perfectly functional, and used often.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Oil it up. Put a receiver sight on it. And throw it under the seat of your truck.

And if in doubt you can strap it to a tire and test fire it with a long string.

I would tend to strip it down, linseed the wood and run over the metal work with some breakfree and some used bore-brushes (bronze), then reassemble, test and use.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

So you can magically decide it's unsafe from 4 pics? Did you notice how the pic with the lever partially open shows the internals to be devoid of rust?

I've seen much, much worse lever action rifles that were perfectly functional, and used often.

I did not read that in his reply, once you get past the abrasiveness the man has a very good point regarding keeping ones face intact.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, 8 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,574
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.