Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
At the age of 8 I was jumped by a neighbor and his brother, they were 14 and 10 years old. I belted one in the chops and ran into the house. My mom, God bless her, saw the whole thing through the kitchen window. I thought that she was going to be proud - wrong. She told me to get back out there and finish what I had started.

I did, got a bloody nose, gave a bloody nose and a black eye and those two brothers and me were as close as brothers until their mom and dad had to move because of grad school (her) and a GREAT new job for him.

Violence doesn't solve ALL problems, but it sure solved that problem - and gave me two great friends to boot!

Terry

PS: My mom was a doctor, worked her way through med school as a waitress - was as tough as nails - and as kind, smart, gentle, and giving as any woman I have ever known. She REALLY believed in woman's rights - and earned each and every one herself.

KR13 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There is a big difference between a good strong woman and a feminist. My wife is the former and can't stand the latter.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I taught for 38 years and saw the change from kids being allowed to play contact games to having to play wussy games. Once early in my career I had a boy who definitely had the ADHD symptoms. When he got too restless in class I would tell him to go outside and run 5 laps around the building. The class and I would watch for him through the window to make sure he wasn't sluffing off. When he finished and came back in he could pay attention

Of course I couldn't get away with that today, but I never in 38 years asked a parent to put the poor kid on meds. As stated above, it is usually the lady teachers who teach the lower grades who wanted relief from overactive boys.

I had an argument for several years with my principal who wanted to abolish recess so we could have more class time. Finally he agreed with me that the kids often learned a lot about making friends and settling differences at recess. And too many of the approved recess/pe games do not have enough activity to let a kid burn off the energy needed so that he can go back to class and pay attention. These ninnies have tried to outlaw contact games like dodgeball and tag over hurt feelings and such, but those games burn a lot of energy and kept the kids moving.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 04/10/14.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by KR13
There is a big difference between a good strong woman and a feminist. My wife is the former and can't stand the latter.

This!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

KR13 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Leon, My wife currently teaches 9th grade. She handles them pretty well. In fact probably too well since the school has started transferring kids to her class when they have problems with the other teachers. She'll be the first to tell you that meds are not the answer. You just need to know how to handle them.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like rattler, I've only been around one kid who truly did need medication for ADHD-like symptoms. He was so wound up most of the time that it was like dealing with the Loony Tunes Tasmanian Devil. He grew out of the hyperactivity stuff in highschool, and while he always seemed a bit "off" and never understood look-before-you-leap in any capacity, he became a functioning adult.

My wife is a pharmacist and the drugging of kids just for being kids is one of her hot points. Folks today let their kids run wild, let them eat whatever and whenever, won't allow anyone else to discipline them. They don't want to spend real time with the kids either, as they are too busy with their own lives, so their "only option" with these wild-injun children is to drug them.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I taught for 38 years and saw the change from kids being allowed to play contact games to having to play wussy games.

When I was in third grade my teacher took us outside for recess and we played Red Rover. And yes, every now and then someone got clothes lined. Can you imagine the hand wringing this would cause today?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JPro
Folks today let their kids run wild, let them eat whatever and whenever, won't allow anyone else to discipline them.

Remember when you prayed your discipline got handled at school? The last thing you wanted was Dad getting a note/call from school.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wussy???? you're proving the point! it's PUSSY!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wifey was telling me just now of one little girl that truely did have issues. I suppose when a family member offs your mom and dad in front of you that has an effect. But I don't think it was ADHD.

Founder

WS

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
PTSD maybe.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Prolly so! Wife said the poor thing was on Proza as well as other things. . All well and good. When off meds she was cujo!

Founder

WS

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My 9 year old third grader has a bunch of energy. He is in gifted and talented classes. Kid is smart as a wip. Few weeks back, they had Tera Nova testing. He finished every test a bit early. He got in trouble for tapping his feet and falling out of his desk. Teacher wants to compare him to his much more laid back brother who is 5 years older, so she wants to put a label on him. She didn't even get the words ADHD out of her mouth before my wife shut her down. A lot of energy and restlessness caused by boredom is a far cry from ADHD.

He was a little peeved when he got a B in conduct because of the falling out of the desk incident. (he did it twice!!!) grin

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave

My son wasn't allowed to run on the playground (not a typo) from grades 1-3

Walker Elementary School, Rockford Illinois, 1958, 2nd grade.

We were not allowed to run on the playground.

Even then. Even then.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well I ran like a [bleep] all over my playgrounds.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
We all did. Suppose that's what's wrong with us????

LOL!

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
We all did. Suppose that's what's wrong with us????

LOL!

There's nothing wrong with you. You weren't raised a Yankee.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tjm10025

My son wasn't allowed to run on the playground (not a typo) from grades 1-3

Walker Elementary School, Rockford Illinois, 1958, 2nd grade.

We were not allowed to run on the playground.

Even then. Even then.

With or without scissors?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Well I ran like a [bleep] all over my playgrounds.

Travis

Didn't take your meds did you?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Castrating young boys on their way to manhood with pills ,is what it's about...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (10gaugemag, 17Fan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 1Longbow, 48 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.