OP Offline
Campfire Regular

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
IMO, the demand is driven more by "hoarders" than new shooters.

A year and a half, or two, ago the shelves were full of 22. Now the factory's are going at it 24/7 and we are just starting to see it getting caught back up?

I don't think that many new shooters flooded the market. Most gun owners likely don't shoot much at all. A couple bricks would likely last 80% of 22 owners a lifetime. Obviously pulling #'s outta my ass, but I bet its not far off.

The fact is 22lr is incredibly cheap. It is affordable for nearly everyone to buy cases and cases of the stuff, and its small enough to fit in a closet. Lots of these people are morons who simple cant afford 50k rounds of 223 or 308.

We are just in a stampede. Soon the dust will settle and the ammo makers are gonna be competing with Billy Joe and the rest of the prepped gang for 22 market share. That's why you don't see new manufacturing being set up.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd agree MM..I don't believe it's caused by "new shooters"..the numbers say gun ownership is up, but not enough to cause this situation. For what it's worth, there is nothing to be found here at all.. Guy will say they had a few boxes couple days ago but gone in a minute etc...same old story..same guys lining up in the AM...

Think it's just part human nature too in that people who aren't hoarders by any stretch will buy whatever they happen to come across just because they figure, this may be my last chance to score any for 6 months...

I'm pretty decent on .22 but if I walked into Walmart and saw a brick or three on the shelf I would buy it for sure.. Simply to replace what I've shot up. But I haven't seen any on the shelf for who knows how long now.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
the demand does not correlate to actual shooting, thats fer dang sure. in fact, I've seen a whole lot LESS .22 shooting since the panic started, since everybody is scared to use their "stash". its a humorous situation from a distance, like watching a train wreck, or a bunch of lemmings running off a cliff

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot more rimfire now than I ever did. It all started with the centerfire shortage and price hikes starting in 2008, which made me transition to shooting rimfires more. I have since learned that rimfire bulk pack ammo is not as reliable as the 50 and 100 round box good stuff, and I hope to have my remaining bulk pack ammo all gone downrange by the time supply stabilizes. I am not sitting an a "stash". I bought it to shoot it.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
This whole thing is more of an "inconvenience" and PITA for me. I have not bought any .22 ammo since the "incident" except for friends who didn't have any stocked away (not hoarded!)

I am more frustrated by the lack of a simple, obvious explanation. I have listened to all of the hypotheses and speculation... things just don't seem to add up to me. I don't see more .22 shooters at the range, hunting rabbits, etc. I see less. I don't see that many people standing in line at Wal Mart at 7AM!!! (I even tried it 3 or 4 days myself and showed up to find no one and guess what... no ammo shipments any of those day). I do see some at scalper's prices on the local internet sites and some occasionally at the $50 (pseudo-scalper) prices in a few gun stores... they don't last long.

If it truly is just "hoarding", I don't want to be around when something truly essential like food or water ends up in real short supply for whatever reason. I thought about this a lot on a recent (thankfully short )trip to S. Calif. recently. No supply of .22 ammo would help you through that one I'm afraid.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All I can add is that I have some 22 ammo on back order from one of my ammo suppliers for over a year. I called them in March to wish my order a happy anniversary.

Since I have a job and can't show up on ammo refresh day at WalMart or Dicks, I have not seen a single round of 22 ammo on the shelf of any of my local suppliers since late 2012.

A few years ago I moved away from center fire to rimfire to save money. Now when I search on line I can find 223 ammo for about the same price as 22 ammo - at least the 22 ammo that is in stock. It's very frustrating/discouraging.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Check with Shrapnel.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I believe I'll call a lot of BS in this thread.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Come on Butch......BS on what?

Don't get shy!

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
how so?

She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
how so?
Originally Posted by Certifiable
how so?

Certifiable,
It is just the same as 100 such threads all over the net. Just a bunch of bored people posting with little facts.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
100 such threads all over the net

more than that whistle

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"It is just the same as 100 such threads all over the net. Just a bunch of bored people posting with little facts."

Butch,

Taken in light of this not being just a .22 rimfire shortage but also a powder and to a lesser extent a primer shortage... the comments by those in the industry is relevant. But your right in that they seem to be doing some guessing!

If you read the last(?) comment in the above thread you will see a response by Powder valley. He may be bored as he is not selling much powder these day's, but i would probably call him a concerned business man who according to his post (and within the scope of his business) is in contact with the U.S. powder distributors (Hogdon, Win., etc).

Same with sierra bullets... this has to have an impact on them, if you can not buy any powder or (to a lesser extent) primers there is a going to be a limit to your bullet sales.

Not in the same league, but a couple of months ago I stopped at my local dealer who of course had zero .22 ammo. He had called CCI to try and order a pallet of rimfire. They refused, told him of the incredible amount of rimfire ammo that they were manufacturing and gave him the number of some of their wholesalers, whom he called with no luck (I don't recall if they had no rimfire or he was last on the list).

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Butch-
You're right, lots of speculation.
In lieu of hard facts all we can do is apply reason and speculate. That's all I attempt to do.

FWIW- just stopped by the store and they had 22 on the shelf. No lines, no crazy people.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A short while ago I ordered some .22 WMR Short Barrel Gold Dots from Midway to replace some I gave to a friend plus some extra. I ordered a brick of Blazer .22 LR from Cabela's Monday and received it yesterday. (That won't replace what I gave away last week.) Both Cabela's and Midway had bricks of Norma TAC-22 available earlier today, but I didn't order any. So, there is stuff out there. Cabela's in particular keeps getting supplies, but the one container per order limit makes me not want to order anything unless the container is a brick or the ammo is something I really need.

I don't have time to camp out at stores.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 04/10/14. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why no statement from a manufacturer?
You'd think after all this time one of them would at least put forth an official statement.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
They have.

ATK, Olin's, Freedom Group....

They all say the same thing. The civilian demand is driving the shortage. They are cranking out all they can but there has been a huge run in the civilian market.

It's simply a stampede.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Butch, no boredom here, and no great conspiracy theories.. I just gave my opinion based on what I see in my area. I even admitted I'd like the opportunity to contribute to the problem a smidge cool
I'm truly envious of people that can walk into their locals and find it in stock at normal prices, but it just ain't happening here.

She's gone shootin..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1badf350, 21, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,663
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.