[Linked Image]
Randy helping Toby rock his AR

[Linked Image]
Mattie checking out the scope

[Linked Image]
Kaywoodie ready to smoke something

[Linked Image]
Paige taking careful aim

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I have perfected the ability to appear to have lucid and meaningful thoughts.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Serious, too.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]
Paladin rocking with the .470 NE

[Linked Image]
Paladin taking aim with the .500 Linebaugh

[Linked Image]
Full L500 recoil - *note the pelican pouch still holding crawfish*

[Linked Image]
Randy, Paul, Toby, Oldman2003, Kaywoodie

[Linked Image]
Sponxx's newest addition

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]
Peggy & Gene

[Linked Image]
Randy & Kristy

[Linked Image]
All these guns and none to shoot

[Linked Image]
Leonard & Miles

[Linked Image]
Wtxj & the K-J

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Paladin

[Linked Image]
Paladin rocking with the .470 NE

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Full L500 recoil - *note the pelican pouch still holding crawfish*

[Linked Image]
Randy, Paul, Toby, Oldman2003, Kaywoodie

[Linked Image]
Sponxx's newest addition

Question, please: I have read and been told on a number of occasions that my using both hands when shooting pistols is counter-productive, and that 'real' handgunners will be recognized by their off hand in a pocket, or behind their back. Love to hear your opinion/explanation, please, if you wouldn't mind. Any education appreciated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that 'real' handgunners will be recognized by their off hand in a pocket, or behind their back. Love to hear your opinion/explanation, please, if you wouldn't mind.

All that I can say is that Paladin is the real deal. He was hitting a small pig silhouette at 200 yards +/- in that picture. I saw him do the same thing at Quemado. He does not miss much at those distances. For myself, it does not matter if I miss with one or two hands. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
that 'real' handgunners will be recognized by their off hand in a pocket, or behind their back. Love to hear your opinion/explanation, please, if you wouldn't mind.

All that I can say is that Paladin is the real deal. He was hitting a small pig silhouette at 200 yards +/- in that picture. I saw him do the same thing at Quemado. He does not miss much at those distances. For myself, it does not matter if I miss with one or two hands. grin miles

Leighton, David [Paladin] sometimes doesn't check in for several days, so he may miss your question. I asked him the same thing, since the only time we were allowed to put our hand in our pocket in boot camp in the 'sixties was at the pistol range.

I got his usual answer, accompanied by his usual grin.... "Whatever works for you". He went on to say something about Bullseye shooters using the one hand stance as a general rule.

One of the few lessons I've ever learned by observation, rather than experience, is that the 500 Linebaugh is VERY unforgiving of a two hand hold. It will visit that area of your skull just above and exactly between your eyes! grin That happened at Quemado, not at Ed's.

Miles didn't mention that Paladin was putting a hurt on the 200 yd targets with my 4 inch barreled tracker in 41 mag, as well as with his guns.

Peggy had never fired a handgun before, and David was kind enough to introduce her to TexnCal's little Model 60 S&W in 38 cal. She did well enough with it for me to learn that it is not for sale or trade. grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles didn't mention that Paladin was putting a hurt on the 200 yd targets with my 4 inch barreled tracker in 41 mag, as well as with his guns.

Drat! I missed that some way or the other. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A

[Linked Image]
Ed explaining how the cow ate the cabbage

Actually, I was explaining where the bruin defecated in the forest. grin

Or, as some thought, the Range Safety Briefing... shocked laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I was over at the 25 yard line. I thought the reactive targets were a little large so I threw out some tennis balls, farthest about 40 yards. They were barely visible in the grass.

Paladin had no trouble hitting the forty yarder first shot. Then he started shooting those quarters in the air. He the man.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed explaining how the cow ate the cabbage

Actually, I was explaining where the bruin defecated in the forest. grin

Or, as some thought, the Range Safety Briefing... shocked laugh

Ed

Sorry Ed, I must have still been eating crawfish when this took place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
from the sounds of it im surprised you stepped away from the crawfish to show off your handgun skills laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
20 lbs. of mudbugs is enough for anyone, even David.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Wtxj
20 lbs. of mudbugs is enough for anyone, even David.

That was his first box... eek

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well David does work 336 hours a month all in one two week streach. Bet he was hungry for something different. The bugs were very good.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Wtxj
... The bugs were very good.

THAT is an understatement. I had never had crawfish until then and I can assure you, they won't be my last. grin

I DID run into a "hot spot" in one of the ears of corn I ate. Lit me up like a Roman Candle! laugh

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tasted great didn't it?

We like stuff hot out here

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I sure hate that I missed all the fun. I did get to spend time and visit with Ed at the Shilen Swap Meet. We reminisced about each of our times living in Alaska. Man, I love the mudbugs! Well not much groceries that I don't like. I hope Paul likes the old Krag.
Maybe next year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

[Linked Image]

Question, please: I have read and been told on a number of occasions that my using both hands when shooting pistols is counter-productive, and that 'real' handgunners will be recognized by their off hand in a pocket, or behind their back. Love to hear your opinion/explanation, please, if you wouldn't mind. Any education appreciated.

Leighton,

Wow, I guess that makes me 'real'. I can't imagine why or who would say that shooting a pistol with both hands is counter-productive. Counter-productive to what? Holding a pistol steady while attempting to connect with a target 200-1,000 yards away? I suppose it depends on the shooting discipline one is engaged in, but as Curdog4570 mentioned, that may be Bullseye shooting. Having never shot Bullseye, I can't tell you why they shoot as they do unless for rule compliance. Combat shooting may be another but when I shoot aerial targets, I use both hands and do so whenever I can.

I don't always shoot with just one hand, but when I do, I find that putting my off hand in my pocket is a convenient place for it. Having one hand dangling about while the other is trying to keep the pistol steady is counter-productive, to me anyway.

As far as shooting the L500 with one hand goes, I'm hanging onto my nuts with one hand while waiting for the nasty thing to go off in the other. Just kidding.

Shooting is physically demanding as many may know, but it wasn't until a few years back when I started getting out of shape that it became apparent to me. Having shot heavy handguns (revolvers in .405 Win, .458 Win Mag, 50-90 Sharps, et al.) and rifles up to .600 Overkill for two days, I became painfully aware of the fact that I was sore from the hair roots in the top of my head, to the foot prints on the soles of my feet.

Holding an object of several pounds weight parallel to the ground with one hand at arms length isn't natural or something done on a regular basis. The use of both hands facilitates not only holding the weight, but holding the weight steady. Exercising with 2-5lb dumbbells held as one would shoot a pistol, starting with holding the arm parallel and bringing the weight to the nose, then back, will go far in developing the strength needed to hold the pistol up and may also help steady the hand. We are more used to pulling objects closer to us than pushing them away. Using weights in this manner should help in controlling the pistol from coming back at a too rapid rate and leaving a mark.

As Gene also mentioned, shooting a heavy pistol with both hands doesn't necessarily help in controlling a heavy recoiling pistol. While some may bean their gourd with the front sight, I think that may have more to do with folks unfamiliar with heavy recoil believing they can control the pistol better with both hands. It's a mind set one has to develop, that when the hammer falls, all hell breaks loose and the only option is to hang on. Sort of like slipping up behind a wildcat and grabbing it by the neck. You might think you know what's coming, but don't get the full appreciation of what actually happens until you close your hand on the neck.

The pistols mentioned above are heavy alone, and when loaded with 5 rounds of 500 gr.+ bullets crowd in another half pound or so just in ammo. It's more about supporting the physical weight of the pistol than using both hands in an attempt to control the recoil as the photos below show. A firm grip and strong arm are most important in mitigating injury. You can't control recoil, but you can learn to roll with the flow.

[Linked Image]

This is a BFR in 50-90 Sharps with I believe a 10� barrel (built by the fellow in the lower left foreground, owned by the chap with his hand on my back). It's heavy, and while likely shootable with one hand, the weight dictates the use of both hands. I'm sure there are others who are able to shoot said pistol with one hand, and I probably could if I tried, but shooting a target at 200 yards with something this heavy makes it difficult at best to hold steady.

[Linked Image]

This is pretty much full recoil. Note where my belly and hat brim are in relation to the post in the background in the first photo relative to the second. Also note my left hand. It isn't doing much help in controlling recoil. That beast sets you back. I was told those loads were 515 gr. bullets launched at ~1,400fps. I overshot the target the first round as it shot flatter than I expected. Not so on the second go 'round. That bullet hits with authority at 200 yards.

While most of what I've written has to do with heavy recoil, the same principles apply to pistols with little recoil if for no other reason than the development of strength required to hold a pistol steady at arms length for extended periods of time. Using one hand or two is to me nothing more than a matter of preference, ability, what you're shooting, what you're shooting at, and where you are.

Different disciplines require different firearms, techniques, and skill sets. I like to shoot big guns at far off targets for the most part, but have competed in various games over the years, so this is directed more toward what I do than what others may do, but it works for me most of the time.

Shooting to me is akin to welding in some ways, at least for me. If one is out of position in either discipline, the results may not be what was expected or wanted. Get comfortable. Use one hand, both hands, or a rest if necessary. Use or do what works for you. If anyone notices when I shoot aerial targets, I spend time moving sticks, pebbles, or whatever from under my feet and getting into position prior to tossing targets into the air.

One item I haven't touched on is the pistol itself. It should be obvious and go without saying that you have to have a handgun that shoots well. I have found few handguns the past 30 years that don't shoot at least reasonably well given they are from a decent manufacturer and aren't asked to something they aren't meant to do (is that a contradiction in terms?). Does that mean they all shoot well? Not necessarily, but many are accurate as well as difficult to shoot well. I've seen an imported .25 ACP that would be classified as �junk�, with a groove for sights, a one or so inch barrel and a miserable trigger, hit liter soda bottles at 100 yards. I couldn't do it every shot, but hit close enough that I wouldn't want to be standing at the end of a football field while I was shooting at me. However, it is a most difficult pistol to shoot. A Beretta of the same caliber doesn't shoot so well, but I haven't taken much time with it either. I've heard that Taurus Trackers aren't the best guns out there, but I've seen one that will do what most others can't.

In my experience, a lot of autoloaders are difficult to shoot (unless of course they are custom or have otherwise been worked on) due to a number of items, including trigger pull, sights, and grips. Short barrels aren't any less accurate, just harder to shoot due again in part to sights (or lack of), short sight radius, and trigger pull.

Well, I could go on and on, but this is getting too long, so I guess I'd better quit for now.

Take everything I've said with a grain of salt and check it all out yourself. No doubt there are those that will disagree. I'm not wrong, nor are they, just different experiences, techniques, and points of view. I do what works for me and you should as well. Even if it means using both hands.

David

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 37 of 39 1 2 35 36 37 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.