Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Just purchased a Lowrance Elite 4X-Dsi for my craft. The image of the bottom is freaking awesome! It's darn near photographic! I saw several really great balls of crappie (I think) hanging around structure, as well as a lot of bait fish balls (I think) with larger items hanging around the circumference of the bait fish balls. The reason I say, "I think", is because this unit shows the bottom well, but I haven't used one before and what I take to be bait fish balls or individual fish is hard to tell since they don't actually look like fish, but rather larger or smaller objects. The bottom is cool. I found several christmas trees the DNR weighs down and drops (this is a state park lake).

Having never used one, I have to ask, where in relation to the transducer are the objects I'm looking at? Can I deduce, that what is in the center of the screen is the area directly below the transducer as the images move across the screen and the areas off to the side are the cone?

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
WOW, Dan ... you can see Crappie Balls! That is great resolution! Save a few for the rest of us though. wink

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I need one of these things so I'm waiting the answer also.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I wasn't fishing crappie. Too bad. I had to believe they were crappie, because they were surrounding an abrupt mount, like an underwater plateau and they were in a tight group and were a lot larger than the bait balls I saw. It appeared to be about 20 or so individual fish just milling about this mount. About 25 feet of water, with the fish at about 10 feet next to the point. I wished I'd have had a bucket of crappie minnows.

This thing is pretty cool. A tree looks just like a tree with light and shadow so you see an almost 3 dimensional scene.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Y
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Y
I just installed a downscan unit on my boat also. I looked
hard at the one you have but bought a humminbird. Main reason
was it was a closeout price on a last years model. Mine is a
combo unit with gps and duell scan fishfinder. Transducer
location has proven to be very critical on this unit. So far
thats about all ive been able to accomplish. The base map in
the gps is about useless also. Im waiting on some localized
chips at this point. I am anxious to check this thing out on
some wrecks and reefs here asap.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Got a new in the box Lowrance 5X color graph for sale for $275. Way below market value. powdr

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

Having never used one, I have to ask, where in relation to the transducer are the objects I'm looking at? Can I deduce, that what is in the center of the screen is the area directly below the transducer as the images move across the screen and the areas off to the side are the cone?

Dan

Read this about "Cone Angles"....

http://vexilar.com/info/choosing-a-transducer-beam-angle-2/

What is "under" the boat is on the extreme right side of the screen. Anything left of that is "History".

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.