Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
With the help of your sweet,devoted wife.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kitch
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
Recently picked up two of the Cabelas Winchester Model 70 Supergrades in 7x57. I'm a sucker for nice wood. Wasn't planning to pick up another of these, but after seeing the second one (last photo), I could not resist. Too nice to leave on the rack.

URL=/7x57_zpsac194168.png.html][Linked Image][/URL]

URL=http://7x57j_zpsecda00b1.png.html][Linked Image][/URL]

Hmmm...either they haven't removed that one from their site or there's two just alike. I went looking to see what they had and found what appears to be the same one. At least the wood looks the same.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Winchester-Model-70-Super-Grade-7x57-Mauser/1838842.uts

Just not removed from the gun library site yet. Purchased it yesterday. It's on it's way to my local Cabelas store. The one in the first picture I've had for a couple months...since December.

Last edited by Wacenturion; 04/09/14.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now that I took another look they are not the same. Stocks sure look similar. I may have to pounce on that one.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, I read your post too quickly. You did buy that other one. Guess I'll look for another...beautiful wood.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Nope,going to stay with H-4831SC as the goal was 2750-2800fps with a 160 gr NP. smile

Elk: You doing anything with 150s? I know Ingwe is pushing them at a comfortable 2500fps and plans to decimate most of Texas's fauna pretty soon. You doing anything with them?

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,sorry that I'm late answering your post.

I'm using the 150 gr NBT in the Featherweight and with IMR-4350 it's getting just under 2750 fps from the 22" barrel.

Yes,going to take Featherweight bear hunting this fall in Arizona along with the .300 H&H.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Are you using the Nosler manual for all your loads?

Here's this evening's addition to the larder, courtesy of the Featherweight and a 139gr PSP.

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Sorta,using Nosler load data for the Featherweight. For the CZ I just started from where the 175 gr NP stopped and worked up from there. I shoot every load over a chronograph.

Pretty good shootin' there Rev. cool

Last edited by elkhunternm; 04/10/14.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice pig! Man, your stacking them up! Great shooting.

Was it a pass through? I don't see an exit. Wonder if there was a chance of a bullet recovery.

Last edited by beretzs; 04/11/14.

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Nice pic of the Rev's foot also. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by beretzs
Nice pig! Man, your stacking them up! Great shooting.

Was it a pass through? I don't see an exit. Wonder if there was a chance of a bullet recovery.

Thanks, but this would be stacking them up from last week. grin

[Linked Image]

Complete pass through and what you see is the exit side. The pig was standing a tad over 30 yards from me. I was squatting down on a right of way, looking through an opening in the myrtles, watching three other pigs about the same size as this one about 45 yards away when this one walked into view. He hadn't caught up with his siblings yet. He had his head down, broadside facing to my left when I shot him. He dropped and pumped a bit, but never moved from the spot. As I said, what you see is the exit wound.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Nice pic of the Rev's foot also. smile

Ha! I tried to get it out of the way, but the ol' iPhone camera got it!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't kill them all!!!!! cry

Save some for me! cool

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe,you just need a pig or two. No need to be greedy. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Don't kill them all!!!!! cry

Save some for me! cool

Trust me: there is no way I can kill them all. Just last night, three of this little group high-tailed it out at my shot. They lived to see another day. And as I was driving back to camp to clean this one, three more were trotting down the trail towards the place where these had been. As I said, there is no way I can kill them all.

Besides, you're heading to Texas. I'm in Florida.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ingwe, let me tell you a story about those little fellas on the back of the truck. Last Thursday I was on a stand about 50 yards from a feeder near a right-of-way, the same feeder over which I shot the little boar yesterday evening, and my brother-in-law was on a stand near a feeder about a half-mile to the south. The feeders scattered a bit of corn at 5 p.m., but there's still a lot of daylight left between then and dark, so I settled in to see what you and Elk were up to on the 'fire.

At about 6:30 a few little pigs came in, so I waited until the one I wanted (the white and black spotted one) presented himself. He was a nice little boar of about 70-75 pounds. Note to self: replace the scale at camp this summer! Anyway, when he did, I took him with the Featherweight (7x57, of course) using Prvi factory 139gr soft points. Sorry to disappoint you, Elk, but in all these years I still haven't gotten around to handloading.

Anyway, about five minutes later I heard my brother-in-law shoot once, then three or four minutes later he shot again. He was using his CZ 527 in .223. I put my pig in the truck and drove down to his stand by a back route so as to not scatter the pigs just in case he missed. When I pulled into the right-of-way, I looked over towards his feeder and the two darker pigs were laying under it. Two shots, two young pigs.

Now here's the kicker: When I pulled into the right-of-way, there were two more pigs eating the corn on the ground around their dead compatriots. My brother-in-law sent me a text that said, "I'm saving them for you if you want them." I was exactly 130 yards from the feeder and had the hood of the truck as a rest. One of the pigs that was vacuuming up the corn was a beautiful red sow that probably weighed about 80 pounds, and she was with a black pig (I couldn't tell the sex) that probably weighed about the same.

And here is the amazing thing about it: they were not only eating the corn around their dead compatriots, but the red sow was actually using her nose to move the carcass of one of the dead ones to get to the corn that was under him. Incredible.

I could have taken the shot but didn't. I figured we had three to clean and that was enough for one evening.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I will be in Florida in February with pig death on my mind and on my menu... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That sounds like a lot of fun! The pork is probably real good too huh?

Semper Fi
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
I will be in Florida in February with pig death on my mind and on my menu... grin

Oh that's right. Dead of winter. You might need a long sleeve shirt.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by beretzs
That sounds like a lot of fun! The pork is probably real good too huh?

It really is. And it is generally pretty tender too, but you have to be careful since it's also very lean. You gotta keep it moist.

Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1badf350, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,828
Posts18,477,926
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.