Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Is the McMillan Winchester "Supergrade" basically the same as a "Classic"? They look very similar.

If you have one of either, please share some pictures of it, including the width of the forearms and buttstock view from above and below if possible.

I'm debating between the "Hunter" and "Supergrade" for a new Winchester 70.

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 04/10/14.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Sorry I don't know how to post a picture. I just went thru the decision to purchase an new McMillan for Win 70, well actually I have a few of them.

You mention the classic. The Classic is the same as the old Winlite stock Winchester put on years ago. It does not have a checkpiece, has more drop in the stock and a slimmer forearm than a Supergrade, at least that is my understanding.

The Hunter series is one I have on another Win 70. It has a checkpiece but the stock has a higher comb than the Classic, and the forarm is slimmer than either the Supergrade or the Classic.

Reading the maximum barrel contour recommended for each stock will give you some idea of the forearm width. I was told that the Supergrade stock had a flatter bottom to the forearm, with the Classic more rounded and the Hunter even more rounded and compact.

I must say I like the Hunter stock if a no. 3 contour or smaller is what you use, a Classic will take a no. 5 but the edges are a little thin.

There is a good thread here on the fire that shows various McMillan, and other stocks, laying on a template whick gives some perspective. I will look for it and post a link if I can find it. Others will most likely have good input soon.

Sorry I don't have pictures.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That template thread was originally posted by utah708 and it sure is helpful.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks much guys.

If only McMillan offered the "Classic" with regular checkering like they do on stocks for other rifles.

Liberalism is a cancer
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I just put a Win 70 .375 h&h in a classic. I was concerned about not having checkering so I ordered a "McWoody", and I must say it looks very good and the texture has enough friction to give a good grip, although I have not had it in the rain.

One reason I chose the Classic was I have quick detach scope mounts and good express sight installed on the rifle and the classic seems to be a good trade off between a scope and irons.

I have a Model 70 .35 whelen with a PacNor #3 in a Hunter Edge Compact and I am very please with it.

What cartridge, barrel contour and barrel length you have or plan? Short or long action?

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Looking to use use a 22" barrel. Maybe a factory sporter contour in 30-06. I want to get a cut rifled barrel. I guess I could put it in the Featherweight, but the 30-06 can kick a little in a light rifle.

Liberalism is a cancer
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Like vahunter I have a model 70 in a edge 300 win mag, shoots lights out.
Love the edge!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I think you will be happy with a Hunters Edge Compact with that sports weight 22" barrel.

The edge reduces weight somewhat and if you ask for the compact it gives you about 1 1/2" shorter forearm.

As far as recoil, a model 70 is no lightweight with any stock so I don't think it will have to much recoil. Everyone is different when it comes to recoil so you will have to make that decision.

I have never personally held a super grade McMillan stock but I have been told by those who should know that they are not what I wanted in a rifle with a standard weight or lighter barrel.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
DR,

Here are some pics that may help. The first pic (borrowed from another post) shows the difference between the forearm width of the super grade and compact. Second is my Win 70 XTR in a standard fill McM SG. Third is a compact edge. The 4th which is my favorite is the Sako hunter with edge fill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MCT3
The first pic (borrowed from another post) shows the difference between the forearm width of the super grade and compact. Second is my Win 70 XTR in a standard fill McM SG. Third is a compact edge. The 4th which is my favorite is the Sako hunter with edge fill.

The 3rd pic looks to be a Sako Classic, not a Compact Edge?

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Between the supergrade and the Hunter I'd take the supergrade because I hate Monte Carlo stocks. The compact edge is nice but the comb is too low necessitating some kind of cheek pad to get the eye lined up with the scope. I have two hunters edges and two supergrades.

If I were looking for a McMillan M70 stock now I'd look real hard at the Bridges pattern stock from hill country rifles. It's the best looking M70 mcmillan I've seen.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Gasman
The first pic (borrowed from another post) shows the difference between the forearm width of the super grade and compact. Second is my Win 70 XTR in a standard fill McM SG. Third is a compact edge. The 4th which is my favorite is the Sako hunter with edge fill.

The 3rd pic looks to be a Sako Classic, not a Compact Edge?

You are correct Gasman, my mistake.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have McMillan Super Grade for my upcoming build, waiting on the barrel(about 4 weeks out). My next build will probably be with the Sako Classic with edge fill!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
KLM,

Although I really like the look of the Sako classic which is very similar to the compact, Crow Hunter is right about the comb being low. I used the one in the photo for a 30-06 build that I did on a Sako L61R action and had to add a cheek pad to get my eye in alignment with the scope while maintaining a good cheek weld. It's worked out well, but that's why I now prefer the Sako Hunter.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MCT3; 04/12/14.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
MCT3, thanks for that Information. May have too rethink about that stock. I have never handled a Sako Classic, was mostly going on the look and description on the McMillan website, which I'm having trouble getting on at the moment. Thanks Karry

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
The pictures are a big help....keep them coming.

I would love to see the forearms of the SG and New Hunter side-by-side.

Is the New Hunter similar to the compact in width or wider?

Liberalism is a cancer
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
DR,

Here are some pics that may help. The first pic (borrowed from another post) shows the difference between the forearm width of the super grade and compact. Second is my Win 70 XTR in a standard fill McM SG. Third is a compact edge. The 4th which is my favorite is the Sako hunter with edge fill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a good looking stock. Looks like the eye and scope should align well with one another.

Liberalism is a cancer
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
The bottom stock is a good looking stock. Looks like the eye and scope should align well with one another.

Liberalism is a cancer
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
DR,

The bottom stock in the previous post is a Sako hunter. It fits me the best and does provide nice alignment of my eye with the scope when I shoulder the rifle.

It's my understanding that the new Win hunter is virtually the same stock as the Sako hunter. My Sako hunter has the same forearm width as the compact (2nd pic in this post).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MCT3; 04/14/14.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The top one looks like a hunter pattern, but the bottom does not�

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (10gaugemag, 308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 17 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,630
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.