Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Rawhide, Palidin, wagon train, Bonanza, Maverick, The Virginian.

Last edited by eyeball; 04/12/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Chester Goode of "Gunsmoke" limped due to having been wounded as a Confederate soldier at the battle of "Pitsburg Landing"(Shiloh), Tennessee. BTW -- Marshall Dillon had been a soldier under Confederate Gen. Sterling Price.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me TV still has most of them on. Watched The Rifleman couple nights ago. smile

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Chester Goode of "Gunsmoke" limped due to having been wounded as a Confederate soldier at the battle of "Pitsburg Landing"(Shiloh), Tennessee. BTW -- Marshall Dillon had been a soldier under Confederate Gen. Sterling Price.

was that a part of any Gunsmoke episode? Think I've darn near seen them all and I sure do not recall.

I remember Festus being introduced as a wolf hunter/skinner.

Thanks

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc

I used to strap on my Mattel Fanner 50 and try to outdraw Matt Dillion at the start of every show.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by byc

I used to strap on my Mattel Fanner 50 and try to outdraw Matt Dillion at the start of every show.

Years ago we had a field guy working in west Texas who shot out the tv in his motel room with a Ruger super single six trying to out draw Matthew. Did I mention his revolver was "unloaded"? wink. Think it was in Ft. Stockton.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 04/13/14.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Even birds know not to land downwind!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The history of Chester's wound was in an early episode. I do not recall personaly seeing it, but I read this somewhere about TV trivia. I did see many years ago the episode where Matt Dillon mentioned that he had served with Gen. Sterling Price. If I recall correctly, it was casually mentioned, not a major theme of the episode.

It seems to me that even though there was interaction with soldiers from time to time on the show, it was rare that any mention of military service of the main characters was ever mentioned on Gunsmoke. However, in most all westerns some aspect of the war would come up from time to time. This would have been realistic. For instance Lucas McCain - AKA The Rifleman - had been a Yankee cavalry officer, from Indiana, I think. One of the Barkley brothers on The Big Valley had been a Yankee officer. Obviously, Johnny Yuma of The Rebel was a Confederate veteran. Several episodes of Bonanza would feature former Confederates, but none of the regular cast characters were veterans. Several characters of Rawhide were former veterans, some Yankee and some Confederate. There was a show about Jesse and Frank James, I cannot recall the name of it, but they had been Confederate soldiers as they really had been. I cannot remember about Wagon Train or Maverick. It seems to me that Paladin from Have Gun Will Travel was a Yankee veteran, but I am not sure on this. I am sure there were others. As my wife would say, I don't know why I use my rather limited brain cells to remember such trivia.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
A couple weeks ago I watched 6 "B" movies on Encore Westerns.
The star was Al "Lash" Larue. All were made in 1947. Many of the actors appeared in different roles/characters. The studios used to punch these movies out in 6 weeks or less and the actors were under contract to the studios as a weekly job. Better entertainment then the garbage today. Lash was a true bullwhip performer, too.

"Use a big enough gun!"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That really brings back some memories. Believe Borax was the sponsor. I remember siting in front of our floor mounted Philco radio & listening to The Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke, & The Old Ranger. Those were the days.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...For instance Lucas McCain - AKA The Rifleman - had been a Yankee cavalry officer, from Indiana, I think...

Yes, he got drummed out of the Army as I recall, branded as a coward and "the one who ran". wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The history of Chester's wound was in an early episode. I do not recall personaly seeing it, but I read this somewhere about TV trivia. I did see many years ago the episode where Matt Dillon mentioned that he had served with Gen. Sterling Price. If I recall correctly, it was casually mentioned, not a major theme of the episode.

It seems to me that even though there was interaction with soldiers from time to time on the show, it was rare that any mention of military service of the main characters was ever mentioned on Gunsmoke. However, in most all westerns some aspect of the war would come up from time to time. This would have been realistic. For instance Lucas McCain - AKA The Rifleman - had been a Yankee cavalry officer, from Indiana, I think. One of the Barkley brothers on The Big Valley had been a Yankee officer. Obviously, Johnny Yuma of The Rebel was a Confederate veteran. Several episodes of Bonanza would feature former Confederates, but none of the regular cast characters were veterans. Several characters of Rawhide were former veterans, some Yankee and some Confederate. There was a show about Jesse and Frank James, I cannot recall the name of it, but they had been Confederate soldiers as they really had been. I cannot remember about Wagon Train or Maverick. It seems to me that Paladin from Have Gun Will Travel was a Yankee veteran, but I am not sure on this. I am sure there were others. As my wife would say, I don't know why I use my rather limited brain cells to remember such trivia.

Ward Bond's character in Wagon Train had been a union officer.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
When I lived and worked in Tulsa during the late 1980's, I visited most of the local gun shows each year. I remember seeing Lash Larue at one of the shows.

He was dressed in black and visited with everyone who wanted to meet him. (I just looked up his biography and he died in 1996.)

During an October 1988 Tulsa gun show, I met Bill Jordan in person and bought his new book, "Mostly Huntin'." He was sitting at a table so I didn't see him at his full 6'6" height. After I shook his hand I was amazed he could shoot so quickly and accurately from a paw that huge!

Growing up I spent a lot of enjoyable time reading stories written by Bill Jordan, Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
...For instance Lucas McCain - AKA The Rifleman - had been a Yankee cavalry officer, from Indiana, I think...

Yes, he got drummed out of the Army as I recall, branded as a coward and "the one who ran". wink

That was another show called "Branded" that also starred Chuck Conners. His character in "The Rifleman" had servered honorably.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I know, hence the knowing wink icon.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by tbear
That really brings back some memories. Believe Borax was the sponsor. I remember siting in front of our floor mounted Philco radio & listening to The Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke, & The Old Ranger. Those were the days.

Death Valley Days brought to you by Twenty Mule Team Borax.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Prior to the well known old series like Roy Rogers, etc. There was Tom Mix, Lash Larue, Red Rider and Little Beaver, Flaming Arrow.

Audie Murphy played in many early western movies.

When The Lone Ranger and Tonto were in the peak, you could get games and trivia from the card board dividers in Nabisco Shredded wheat boxes.

When the milk was delivered to your door step in glass bottles, the little card board seals on top had pictures of well known western stars on the inside that kids collected.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
In the very early TV days there was The Range Rider.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Anybody mention Annie Oakley with Gail Davis, who also was in a bunch of Gene Autrey episodes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by byc
" ... I remember Festus being introduced as a wolf hunter/skinner."

The character of "Festus" played by Ken Curtiss on Gunsmoke, was originally a character in an episode of Have Gun, Will Travel. Both shows were owned by CBS so "Festus" migrated from one show to the other where he became a regular and favorite of the audience.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,397
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.