Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Where are the glowing examples of anarchy? People fear it so much they will choose tyranny over it. As Madison said, people are not angels.

There are amazing examples of murderous Marxism because people will even tolerate that for a while. Anarchy, no.

The irony of this is that my leanings are libertarian, just not to the point of reality denial.

Someone has blown too much smoke up the little monkey's butt.

If I remember correctly, barak, you see yourself as a Christian. If so, how can you be in denial about human nature and that the Bible teaches that God gives good government as a blessing? Romans 13

Excellent post.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Ironically, that Madison quote is one that could more logically be used in support of libertarianism than anything less, for in context he was pointing out the problem with centralized authority as it relates to human nature, not to our inability to govern ourselves as individuals.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by efw
I should have added another point to those above...

F) generally speaking, regulations are made by those who have been successful enough to have gained influence and are crafted to block others from doing the same

Hear, hear! It becomes a barrier to entry for their competition. That's why �- contrary to myth -- most large business are in favor of increased regulation and why the ultra-wealthy are usually limousine-Liberals, a la, Bill Gates, George Soros, Warren Buffett, Eric Schmidt of Google, Teresa Heinz Kerry, on and on, too numerous to list�

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
What a bunch of worthless drivel. I love the "I can't teach you economics in 140 characters or less"...this from a group who doesn't understand there are two separate types of economics; micro & macro.

And they're "so smart" that they just completely ditch macro and apply simplistic microeconomics to everything, dumbing it down so they can preach their vision to the mental midgets they associate with.

Don't get me wrong, I'd vote for a Libertarian WAY before I'd vote for a Democrat or Republican. But pure Libertarian politics is pretty flawed in several areas. I agree with the Libertarians on most social issues, and on more political issues than the other two parties. But their view of economics is simplistic, childish, and completely ignores the lessons of history.
I disagree. Economics is where their purity and simplicity is most legitimate.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It's funny how you're right on this, and every major economist in the world is wrong. What's more, most every nation in the world is wrong.
"Major economists" are "major" because they have the ear of the state, which raises them to "major" status. The reason they have the ear of the state is because Keynesianism benefits the state, and their partners in crime the banks, even if it harms everyone else in the long run.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yet most EVERY nation in the world abandons the completely "free" markets as abuses pile up and the "market" is unable to "self-correct".
That's not why, and left alone it self-corrects perfectly, so long as the state does its part in punishing real crimes and torts, and enforcing contracts, but no more than that.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by efw
Ironically, that Madison quote is one that could more logically be used in support of libertarianism than anything less, for in context he was pointing out the problem with centralized authority as it relates to human nature, not to our inability to govern ourselves as individuals.

I've corrected him on this error before. It didn't stick.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

I agree with libertarians on many principles.

Perhaps, but the presupposition underlying the statement below demonstrates you are at odds on its fundamental starting point:

There's a good reason why NO nation in the world does it.

Yes, there is, but it isn't the reason you seem to think it is. It seems you think the reason is that governments choose economic systems based upon their workability & how well they serve the people.

Libertarianism starts from the position that centralized power serves itself alone. Here is where you are wholly at odds with libertarian thought. Governments don't serve anyone but themselves. Our measured capitalism is measured so as to serve those in power; the measures don't "protect consumers" as you seem to assume.

Economics are as central to libertarianism as they are to progressivism; you can't buy into libertarianism without its economics. Your rejection of its economics suggest you are at odds on much more foundational levels.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm curious. I believe in ordered liberty. Does that disqualify me from being a libertarian?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I'm curious. I believe in ordered liberty. Does that disqualify me from being a libertarian?

No, Dave, that's exactly what Libertarianism is. Barak espouses anarchy, which is its polar opposite. Libertarianism says that it�s wrong to intentionally, avoidably hurt the innocent and it sanctions putting mechanisms in place to prevent that from happening, as best as possible. Anarchism posts an open season on the innocent.

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Or, to put it another way, a Libertarian says a person�s right to swing his fist ends where another person�s nose begins, while an anarchist claims he�s entitled to that space too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a Libertarian, as my faith swings me over into the Conservative ideology, though one cannot be a Conservative without the libertarian foundation.

There are anarchist in the Libertarian Party which cracks me up, but like TRH and Uriah have been saying, a libertarian and an anarchist are not the same thing.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tag

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Uriah
Or, to put it another way, a Libertarian says a person�s right to swing his fist ends where another person�s nose begins, while an anarchist claims he�s entitled to that space too.

No.

Anarchy is simply the lack of government in a society.

It doesn't mean the desire to deprive others of their rights.

Probably my favorite essay on the matter:

http://www.sobran.com/reluctant.shtml

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yet, Anarchist join political parties whose purpose is to elect Government officials.

Gotta love the irony in that...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Yet, Anarchist join political parties whose purpose is to elect Government officials.

Well, then,...obviously they're not anarchists.

They're confused about what the term means,...as are many who are participating in this thread.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's kind of the reason that the OP's statement is so funny.

Turdlike, by default.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
which one?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

Gotta love the irony in that...
Which anarchist?

My understanding of AnCap is that they don't necessarily believe everything would be great without a state. They believe that whatever kind of society exists in a particular place, the state makes it worse than it would have been without one.

Absent a formal state, however, some other form of despotism will tend to reign, even if less centralized. So the conservative supports the existence of the state, recognizing it as, at best, a necessary evil (criminal by nature), but places strict limits on it by various means, such as by constitutions, checks and balances, decentralization, the rule of law, traditional institutions, etc., but he also recognizes that liberty is the fruit only of a certain sort of culture, mainly that which sprang from Western Civilization (particularly by way of England), and that it's a highly unnatural state for humanity to find itself in, the norm being despotism and tyranny. All the more reason to conserve the pillars in our society which have traditionally supported liberty, e.g., the rule of law, Christianity, the traditional family, traditional morality, free markets, sound money, property rights, etc..

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
In practical reality that is likely to be the way it plays out, but the question becomes where giving one person authority over another ends.

Seems the tendency of gov't that, no matter how reigned in at the outset, they inevitably end up being the aggressor.

The anarchist seeks to head em off at the pass.

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (22250rem, 163bc, 12344mag, 22magnut, 10ring1, 160user, 36 invisible), 1,308 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,849
Posts18,517,532
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.