Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by derby_dude
You have no idea of what anarchy is. But don't feel bad neither do 99% of the Fire.
Anarchy is the nonexistence of the state, but those who romanticize about anarchy don't seem to realize how the state came about to begin with. It started as soon as folks settled down and attached themselves to the land. Bands of criminals came around and forced these stateless folks to provide a certain percentage of the product of their labor to them on a regular basis so they could live in comfort without having to labor. Eventually, these criminals started calling themselves (and insisting others do so) by various titles of privilege, like king, lord, duke, and their henchmen knights, and started calling the extortion they engaged in taxation.

That's the way states came into existence. Rid yourself of them, and it starts from scratch all over again. It's inevitable, so making it abide by laws (the Magna Carta, the US Constitution, or what have you) is the best a people can hope for.

You are right that anarchy is absent of a state. The Celts did not have a state but they certainly had a government structure and were anarchists and libertarians.

However, laws without force to back them up is useless. If total force stays with the people and the state has no force than there is no need for the state. If there is a state and the state is to survive than the state must have total force on it's side. If total force is on the side of the state than criminals will eventually take over the state. It's not practical to change the state every couple of decades or centuries. Hence, I'm an anarchist.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Actually,..violence on the western frontier has been greatly exaggerated.

Our highly governed cities of today are much more violent.

http://perc.org/articles/old-west-violence-mostly-myth

And in that link it says over 200,000 people flocked to Ca to get rich. What prevented chaos was that the mining camps quickly establiahed rules. Paraphrased of course.

That would argue against anarchy. And in any case, 200,000 people is not that many compared to today. The link would seem to suggest that lower population densities and lower population overall is more responsible for less violence than anything else. I'd agree with that.

It's all still a form of people governing each other. Not anarchy

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by pira114

And in that link it says over 200,000 people flocked to Ca to get rich. What prevented chaos was that the mining camps quickly establiahed rules.

,...without the need for a central government.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It was anarchy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You are absolutely right. It's amazing how few people actually carried firearms in the Wild West.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

And in that link it says over 200,000 people flocked to Ca to get rich. What prevented chaos was that the mining camps quickly establiahed rules. Paraphrased of course.

That would argue against anarchy. And in any case, 200,000 people is not that many compared to today. The link would seem to suggest that lower population densities and lower population overall is more responsible for less violence than anything else. I'd agree with that.

Albert Jay Nock would suggest that you were failing to draw a proper distinction between government and the state. The state, by definition, engages in the criminal application of force in order to exploit the labor and/or ingenuity of others, while its members produce nothing by their own labor and/or ingenuity. Government, on the other hand, is closer to what you describe as having taken place in the gold mining towns of the early West, i.e., the establishment and enforcement of rules for the preservation of ordered liberty.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Government, on the other hand, is closer to what you describe took place in the gold mining towns of the early West,

It wasn't government by the accepted, modern definition of the term.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

Howsabout Kim Jong nutso?

North Korea is about as strong of a case as there is to be made for anarchy.

I don't think he cares about your argument any more than feeding his uncle to the dogs. Are you gonna argue against him, his auntie did.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by efw
I don't know about other anarchists but I don't belong to any political party

That makes perfect sense to me; I am leaning more & more in that direction but am libertarian and not officially affiliated with a party either.

I also don't belong to any church for the same reason I'm anarchist.

Totally different subject; Luther's two kingdoms wink .

I had to go look up Luther's two kingdoms as I'm not Lutheran. I'm not a dualist so I don't subscribe to dualist principles but I can see your point.

You're not a Christian; it's an essentially Christian principle for it assume's Christ's special reign in and over His Church.

As such, Barak's citation of the passage in Samuel wherein Israel "talks God into" nominating a king, relates not to the kingdom of men (over which Christ's reign comes through the necessary evil of human gov't just as it did outside Israel in that passage's context) but to the Church. It is, in mind, what we see in congregations where the US flag flies over the Christian flag, or where they recite the pledge of allegiance (and have likely forgotten the Apostle's creed) and clap for members of the armed forces on Memorial Day.

It is right that within the Church there are varying views of right governance in the Kingdom of men. I have no problem worshipping next to Republicans & Democrats, although I do find their ability to rectify their party's (singular) actions with the teachings of Christ to be strangled, just as they likely do mine (not knowing that I am not a big-L Libertarian).

I guess I need to clarify my point if possible. I don't belong to any Church Christian, Pagan, or otherwise is because all organized religions, i.e. Church, have a religious state of some sort with a government run by the religious gang of the moment. Being a anarchist that would go against my principle of free thinking.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It was anarchy.

I know you have heard of the cavalry.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It was more of a cooperative than a government.

Government is a central authority.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Albert Jay Nock would suggest that you were failing to draw a proper distinction between government and the state. The state, by definition, engages in the criminal application of force in order to exploit the labor of others, while its members produce nothing by their own labor. Government, on the other hand, is closer to what you describe took place in the gold mining towns of the early West, i.e., the establishment of rules for the preservation of ordered liberty.

Albert can argue all he wants. Dont make either of us right or wrong.

It appears the definition of anarchy is the real question. DD said I didn't know what it was. But I do. What I'm gathering is that those on this board who espouse anarchy have a definition that is specific to this country in this time. If I'm understanding right, it's just the absence of the governments we have now right? Not the people per se, but the system. But that some sort of order and governing of people is ok? Hmm

Here's the anarchy definition as I've always known it and that I've been arguing with.

Main Entry: an�ar�chy
Pronunciation: \ˈa-nər-kē, -ˌn�r-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Medieval Latin anarchia, from Greek, from anarchos having no ruler, from an- + archos ruler � more at arch-
Date: 1539
1 a : absence of government b : a state of lawlessness or political disorder due to the absence of governmental authority c : a society of individuals who enjoy complete freedom without government 2 a : absence or denial of any authority or established order b : absence of order : disorder <not manicured plots but a wild anarchy of nature � Israel Shenker> 3 : anarchism

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was anarchy.

I bet that it wasn't. I bet leaders stepped up and lead while others followed. I bet that there agreed upon representatives and agreed upon rules.

The makings of a state structure. It happens whenever people congregate.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Anarchists aren't against rules we are against the state and it's absolute force.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Given much more time or size, there would have been one.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
It was anarchy.

I bet that it wasn't. I bet leaders stepped up and lead while others followed. I bet that there agreed upon representatives and agreed upon rules.

The makings of a state structure. It happens whenever people congregate.

There was no central authority.

There was no government.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Quite possible.

Given enough time, it could have become corrupt enough to call it a government.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Anarchists aren't against rules we are against the state and it's absolute force.

Rules are the birthplace of a Government. Rules require consequences and enforcement.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Quite possible.

Quite possible.

This is the nature of man. All the required corruption was already present.

Turdlike, by default.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Assumed authority is the birthplace of government.

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 1,893 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,073
Posts18,521,697
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.