Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just watched a video Rep Causer posted on FB on how Zippo lighters are made.(his way of promoting local business in his area) Got me to thinkin. How many of you own one? Are they popular where youre from? Being from PA, theyve always been popular here, but ive never owned one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pahick
Just watched a video Rep Causer posted on FB on how Zippo lighters are made.(his way of promoting local business in his area) Got me to thinkin. How many of you own one? Are they popular where youre from? Being from PA, theyve always been popular here, but ive never owned one.
I own three or four. They are good for lighting up a campfire or a stogie.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The fuel evaporates pretty fast. If your not using it every day they are not that practical IMO. I do have 3 of them. A standard sized classic, a slimline and my grandfathers slimline from the '70s.

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I never bought one because I heard they leak. Not sure how true that is though.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've accumulated about half a dozen Zippos... used 'em all quite a bit over the years and sent 'em back to Zippo for refurbishing at "no charge". Got 'em back in top condition once again... good job, Zippo !~!~!

Use 'em to light my many pipes... they do a fine job, but really "eat-up" the lighter fluid ! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
i bought one at the Syracuse gun show years ago for 3 reasons - I had always wanted one, they were $5 used, and it a'ready had my initials MLP engraved on it.

But I spend more time adding fuel than using it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe somebody here knows. I bought my first one, years ago...probably 1984. I bought it in a cigar store and the old due filled it with lighter fluid for the first time. Over the years, it really held lighter fluid good and lasted a long time. Then it got dunked in the water. Afterwards it seemed like the fluid would run out a lot quicker. I bought a new one a few years back but it sure doesn't seem to hold lighter fluid like the old one did when I first got it. Made me think it was the lighter fluid itself and not the dunk that did it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pahick
I never bought one because I heard they leak. Not sure how true that is though.
You need to let them set for awhile before putting one in your pocket. That lighter fluid will blister your leg.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dad always had one on him, he died of lung cancer in 2006.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one laying here in the drawer. Used to use it regularly when I smoked, but I quit 55 years ago. I think if I filled it and added a fresh flint it would still work.

In my hunting packs I carry the disposable $1 lighters that are sold in hardware and dollar stores and they work fine.

Jim

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They temp people to smoke.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
My Dad always had one on him, he died of lung cancer in 2006.

Mike
I don't smoke. I used to have a cigar once in a great while, but haven't had one in probably twenty years or more.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by justin10mm
The fuel evaporates pretty fast.

Not if you slip a "ranger" rubber band over the opening. (I cut my bands from a bicycle tube.) I've run experiments with my three Zippos several times, and one filling of fuel will last for about ten weeks. For the experiments, I've fired the Zippo up twice daily for about seven to ten seconds, about what it would take to light a handful of tinder for my campfire. As I said, ten weeks and it still burns.

Obviously leaving the "ranger" band on the Zippo would be inconvenient for a smoker who knocks off a pack or two of cigarettes a day .... but I don't smoke. wink

Also a major advantage of a Zippo is I don't have to keep holding down a button for it to stay burning, and it is windproof, too. I also carry a couple 1/8 oz. cleaned Tabasco bottle filled with fuel, in my daypack.

I would not be without my filled-with-fuel Zippo when I am going out in the boonies, etc.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 Zippos and 2 Zippo knockoffs. I use them rarely though.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Even empty there is something to be said for having a reliable spark source in the woods.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would not be without my filled-with-fuel Zippo when I am going out in the boonies, etc.

wink

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

I was born in 1951.

My mom's father was a wildcatter and worked in the oil fields.

What's the old saying " don't tell my mom I work in the oil patch, she thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse.

In fact the "Daisy B" of Spindletop fame is named after Daisy Bradford IIRC.

Well WR would come see us now an then and stay for a week. He was a unfiltered Chesterfield guy.

I think I was six the first time my mom busted me an my brother (who was 4 at the time) hiding out in the garage and trying to light his Chesterfields we had light-fingered, along with his Zippo.

Course we got our azz busted.

I've loved the smell of Ronson lighter fluid in a Zippo since I was a wee tyke. Still do.

[Linked Image]

So here is a story about a $1300 Zippo Lighter.

I've had the pleasure of hunting in several states and here in Texas in numerous locals. It's kinda fun of an evening, sitting around a campfire, after dinner and everyone is starting to get "lubricated" to tell this story.

I'll pull out my Zippo and ask if they've ever seen a $1300 Zippo. Someone will invariably ask to fondle my Zippo and when they do they say. Bullspit, no way that cost $1,300.

I proceed to tell them that I have rental trailers. I had rented a trailer to this guy for $650 per month and let him get out two months without paying rent. When he took off, he stole the refrigerator, the stove, the hot water heater and even rolled up the 7 year old used carpet, and took it also.
The only thing left of value in the trailer was a Zippo lighter. I then inquire. Wouldn't you say this is a $1,300 ligher. This happened around 2002. I have kept it till this day.
Never fails to get a chuckle.

[Linked Image]

I do luv me some Zippos.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/14/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by justin10mm
The fuel evaporates pretty fast.

Not if you slip a "ranger" rubber band over the opening. (I cut my bands from a bicycle tube.) I've run experiments with my three Zippos several times, and one filling of fuel will last for about ten weeks. For the experiments, I've fired the Zippo up twice daily for about seven to ten seconds, about what it would take to light a handful of tinder for my campfire. As I said, ten weeks and it still burns.

Obviously leaving the "ranger" band on the Zippo would be inconvenient for a smoker who knocks off a pack or two of cigarettes a day .... but I don't smoke. wink

Also a major advantage of a Zippo is I don't have to keep holding down a button for it to stay burning, and it is windproof, too. I also carry a couple 1/8 oz. cleaned Tabasco bottle filled with fuel, in my daypack.

L.W.

You wouldn't happen to have a photo detailing the ranger band, would you? I'm having trouble picturing where it would go. Not enough left brain synapse firing. Thx.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you just put it over the seem of the lighter.....makes it more or less air tight so the fluid has no where to evaporate to.....no its not perfect but does vastly improve life per filling

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,084
Posts18,482,814
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.