Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

You bet some did. For all the talk of evil Nazi's hiding out in Argentina (some did), a good number of Germans and Italians went there to start a new life and escape war ravaged Europe. Remember, the Soviets gobbled up 40% of Germany into their own sphere, and that was reason enough to flee.

I found a quaint village just south of Cordoba that has a unique and interesting story - Villa General Belgrano. This town was founded in the 1930s by a handful of German and Austrians, but was really established by 130 surviving crew of the Pocket Battleship Admiral Graf Spee.

The Graf Spee, for those unfamiliar, was a 16,000 ton cruiser sized ship with big guns and great speed built as a commerce raider. Same class as the Bismarck. In 1940, they got into a shoot out with the Brits in the Atlantic, sustained some damage, and took refuge in the port of Montevideo, Uruguay for repairs. Sufficient repairs could not be completed within the 72 hours allowed by international law in a neutral port, so the Captain took her out of port and scuttled her in the Plate River Estuary. The crew were interred in Uruguay, and 130 of them moved to Belgrano after the war.

When I visited Belgrano last week, I found a town in the hills by a lake that could have been in Bavaria. Maybe it's a bit touristy with the shops, but the architecture, the food, the beer all excellent and all German.

[Linked Image]

Best restaurant in town is called Veijo Munich - Old Munich and they brew their own beer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is a bit odd to see German influenced homes and buildings with Spanish signs in front of them. Many of the older generation still speaks German there, although it is fading rapidly. Still, they have the world's 3rd largest Ocktoberfest in this little village of maybe 10,000.

Argentina is a beautiful and fascinating country. Bird hunter's paradise along with Red Stag hunting and trout fishing make it one of my favorite places these days. If they only had a government that worked, that place would boom. Maybe I'll post more on that later.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari

You bet some did. For all the talk of evil Nazi's hiding out in Argentina (some did), a good number of Germans and Italians went there to start a new life and escape war ravaged Europe. Remember, the Soviets gobbled up 40% of Germany into their own sphere, and that was reason enough to flee.

yeah a whole lot forget that, just like a whole lot seem to forget it was BOTH Germany and Russia that invaded Poland and divided it up.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W.E.B. Griffin does a nice historical fiction series on the Argentina angle of WWII, including the Graf Spee and the attempted repairs and the O.S.S. interfering. I'm not sure how precisely accurate it is, but it is definitely based on broad historical story.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've often wondered what Central and South America were like during WW2.

You don't hear much about their participation in the hostilities.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
There's a pile of them in Chile as well.

IC B2

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Uruguay and Argentina were neutral, as was most if not all of Latin America. They had no dog in the fight. Argentina certainly was a bit more sympathetic to the Axis, what with the large numbers of Italian immigrants, but they stayed out things for the most part.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rattler

yeah a whole lot forget that, just like a whole lot seem to forget it was BOTH Germany and Russia that invaded Poland and divided it up.....

That's why I hate all three. Makes things easier.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Argentina - Did Germans really go there after the war?

Yes

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A minor correction. Graf Spee was a "Pocket Battleship" and about 1/3 the tonnage of the Bismarck. Ostensibly she carried sixX11" guns in two triple turrets with a top speed of around 25kts. Bismarck was close to 50K tons, 8X15" guns and a speed of 30 kts. smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by rattler

That's why I hate all three. Makes things easier.

Travis

I didn't know there would be math reading questions in this thread

Last edited by KFWA; 04/16/14.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
...and has a great song.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by selmer
W.E.B. Griffin does a nice historical fiction series on the Argentina angle of WWII, including the Graf Spee and the attempted repairs and the O.S.S. interfering. I'm not sure how precisely accurate it is, but it is definitely based on broad historical story.

W.E.B Griffin wouldn't be American can any chance? wink

It was actually the British Secret Service who managed to convince the Graf Spays Captain that the Royal Navy had a number of battleships waiting for him should he leave. In reality, the battleships were still enroute and a number of days away and the Graf Spay would have only faced a number of smaller ships had she left after 72 hours..

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Pete E

Yes, we won WWII all by ourselves, despite the near-constant interference of our allies. wink

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART
...and has a great song.

lol...caught me off guard with that one.

Interesting thread.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a high school friend whose family came here from Germany via Argentina. His parents were German born Argentinians. Fred was born in Argentina. I think he learned English here. He was raised with German and Spanish but came here so young he mostly lost it. German was his main language. When he joined LAPD he got Spanish back pretty good from some basic classes and working with Spanish speakers and working east and south LA.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
A minor correction. Graf Spee was a "Pocket Battleship" and about 1/3 the tonnage of the Bismarck. Ostensibly she carried sixX11" guns in two triple turrets with a top speed of around 25kts. Bismarck was close to 50K tons, 8X15" guns and a speed of 30 kts. smile

My bad. Thought for a moment the Bismark was Deutchland Class, but obviously it was bigger and caused the Brits much concern. I was thinking of the Admiral Scheer. Thanks for the correction.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pursuit of the Graf Spee (1956) movie
A true WW2 story: the British Navy must find and destroy a powerful German warship.
Stars: John Gregson, Anthony Quayle, Ian Hunter
"The Battle of the River Plate" (original title)

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E

It was actually the British Secret Service who managed to convince the Graf Spays Captain that the Royal Navy had a number of battleships waiting for him should he leave. In reality, the battleships were still enroute and a number of days away and the Graf Spay would have only faced a number of smaller ships had she left after 72 hours..

Pete,

A good friend of mine had an aunt who worked at the Brit Embassy at the time.

She was part of the plot.

She went out every day and took pics and notes about the repairs.

Then the info was "sent" to the "battle group.

I have 2 of the pics one of the day before and one of the day she was scuttled

both show radar

The guy's last name was Pepper

Snake

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No radar on the Graf Spee. Sorry. There is much historical data and literature on the Battle Of The River Plate as this was known at the time (and as mentioned also a movie) about this being one of the last naval engagements where no radar was used. First use of radar at sea was about six months later during the hunt for the Battleship Bismarck, where two British Cruisers, Norfolk and Suffolk where equipped with some of the first radar sets. Pete's post is correct. There were only three cruisers (two light Ajax & Achilles) and one heavy (Cumberland sent fromt eh Falklands to replaced the damaged Exeter)to guard the entire River Plate estuary which is very wide, and without radar, impossible to cover, although they did have aircraft on board the cruisers.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both Pics are framed...

I will try to get them scanned

but

They show a square radar Antenna

T

Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,815
Posts18,477,658
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.