Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Cameraland is always my first choice, and I see nothing in this thread that would change that. Sure, things could have been done differently, but everyone has 20-20 hindsight. But hey, you buy a heavily-discounted demo item, don't get a working model and in exchange -- for not one penny more -- you get a brand-new item...well, that's still pretty dog-gone good in my books.

Cameraland has been terrific to both me and my wife. Just before Christmas, she called to get a pair of demo Meopta binos for my "Santa" present. Well, I had mentioned what a great price the demos were (something like $309), so she asked for those when placing her order. Unbeknownst to us, these had become a "deal of the day," so they promptly told her about the added discount and allowed her to save another $40 or $50.

Honesty like that means a lot to me.

Years ago, I bought a Minox scope, and it developed a problem. I had difficulty contacting Minox CS, so I called Doug to see if he had a direct # or a different # for them. He went above and beyond, contacting them himself and having a call tag sent for the defective scope (which I ahd for several months). He also had them immediately send out a new scope, which I had in just a few days. I had to do absolutely nothing more after the one call to Doug. It's hard to argue with customer service like that.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No one should be tempted for even a moment to buy into this fake "CS" issue that never existed, or even to entertain the thought at all.

Doug and the Cameraland staff are dedicated to providing the best Customer Service that is humanly possible, and the best CS experience that a customer will ever receive, or better...and Vortex does as well.

Every successful business at times receives false complaints that are actually "false flag" type attempts to steer potential customers toward a competitor. A savvy consumer should always keep one eye open for that type of misinformation. That seems to be the case here, and this forum should not be used as a pawn in that game.

For these fine folks to be criticized in any way over their efforts to provide over-the-top customer service and customer satisfaction in this case, or the manner in which they chose to best serve their customer is an insult to them.

Considering that the only evidence presented that the product is even damaged is the customer's statement, this should not be assumed to be factual, and further, for Doug to issue an apology for his, and Vortex's, best efforts to accept the "customer's" word on the matter and give the "customer" more than what they paid for strikes me as absurd.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I will still do business with Doug.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just placed an order a couple of days ago, not worried, not my first order, and expect to continue to do business with CL.

I think more folks than not, have had favorable experiences with this company, and Doug.

There is nothing in life that is exempt from Murphy's law. I should know, I must have bought every defective Rem 700 made in the 90s......even had something come back from Leupold that was not done right at the custom shop....two actually. They stood behind them. That's the most important thing. What happened to the OP - surely is the exception, the important thing is it will be taken care of......and this thread just reinforces folks positive experience with great customer service.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After reading thru this thread and putting my self in each of the Players Roles, with a 40 year history of selling consumer goods to Retailers from Mom & Pop's to the Largest Big Box Stores In the US, in multiple product categories - including Hunting/Fishing equipment for 13 years - and some of the optics name brands mentioned...my thought are:

Ringworm wanted the cheapest priced & best warranted product available from a retail outlet that is known for its honesty and integrity in Cust Svc as an "Insurance Policy".

He got what he ordered in a timely manner..but it was broke on arrival, got the usage of the CS Insurance Policy & Service he expected - actually came out ahead from the Mfg'er - and he wants to whine that he had a problem when he didn't get a 1st Quality Experience when he bought less than 1st Qualty product as it was a demo/Damaged box item to begin with....regardless if it was a $10,000 product or a $100 product ...I get that...but everyone's CS people stood behind the Product to make his experience happen PDQ as possible...at the deepest Damamged Box/Demo price available in the US and he totally discounts that as not having any value.

IMO & YMMV but "THIS CUSTOMER" is the customer I always knew would be my companies worst nightmare...as he is LOOKING for a problem and will create the loudest most obnoxious problem he can IF AT ALL POSSIBLE 'cause he bought the BEST PRODUCT AT THE CHEAPEST PRICE POSSIBLE and believes he will always get screwed somehow because of it....and HIS Worst nightmare came to pass when he opened the box...and had no faith in the Insurance Policy that 'caused him to make the buying decision initially...thats called NO SELF CONFIDENCE IN MAKING A DECISION.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at the CC Co's CS unit when he filed a denial of payment request....his rquest form prolly went on the coffee room wall or was taught in training class as a an example of "Thats a good Example of an Unreasonable Demand".

As far as AMEX's CS folks, back in the '80's when I was running $125k /$140k annually in T&E and had many such circumstances to bitch about ... but was always told in essence bottom line "Whats your problem ???? If the Parties involved are trying to HELP you get what your ordered in the 1st Place ...and YOU don't want to Let Them???...call us back if you don't get the goods and services you ordered and we'll refuse Payment to the service provider ... airline/hotel/car rental yaddayadda...But not until AFTER THEY have had a chance to resolve the issue"...click.

He & We should realize that any consumer product has a % of of issues with hidden damage ...but the stuff that is offered as a "demo/Damaged box etc has a much higher likely hood of having SOME KIND OF HIDDEN DAMAGE and to expect a certain and much higher percentage of "Issues" when buying this level of consumer goods .... it happens, get over it and enjoy the savings potential...but the lesson is "ALWAYS BUY 1ST QUALITY GOODS FROM 1ST QUALITY PROVIDERS" to get that CS Insurance Policy ( try sending a $100 price point of any number of Chain Store Low Quality brand scopes back an see what you get HAHAHAHA)....and RW did do that to start with in a 1st Quality brand and Retailer...so he needs to back off and Let them give you what you contracted for as PDQ as possible.

Otherwise all you are doing is muddying up the water for your fun and games or to satisfy your personal ego at beating up on the Big Guys in a David & Goliath deal. You are sounding more and more like the guy in Nevada who wants to duck paying his cattle grazing lease contracts ...for 20 years...aways trying to get something for nothing...and whining about it when the facts come out ...the longer this incident is dragged out.

I know of a certain SoCal based P&C Casualty Co that wish's they had met their contractual Insurance Policy promises locally before they got to the courthouse in Texas... 3 times on 3 different claims...so there is always that kind of resoulution over a $100 Optics product available too. Just Sayin
Ron

Last edited by verhoositz; 04/18/14.

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have nothing but great things to say about Doug and the cameraland crew; for me the experience has been 1st class all the way. He's always my first call when I'm needing anything optic....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
I will still do business with Doug.

It is exceptionally difficult to find better customer service than cameraland.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I had been Doug I would have taken care of this before the end of the first page. This ain't over for Doug. It will not break him but the damage has been done. powdr

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by powdr
If I had been Doug I would have taken care of this before the end of the first page. This ain't over for Doug. It will not break him but the damage has been done. powdr

This was a hundred dollar scope and the OP was looking for revenge rather than a solution. He could have used this forum to PM Doug rather than to vent to everyone. You however are right that Doug might have been well served to quash this. I do it all the time when dealing with disproportionately angry people like the OP. It is cheaper to pay them off than to spend time listening to them bit_h and cry when they do not get exactly their way.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[quote=ringworm]vortex is taking care of the problem removing camera land from the equation. which seems to be exactly what camera land wants.
point... may be only 150 dollars. but it's my 150. I didn't find it in the street. I worked for it.

[/quote

Is it really that big of a deal to go directly thru Vortex?

I'm honestly not knocking you just saying I don't see the problem in going to the manufacturer. I do understand its your money and you bought it from them.
If you had gotten it in perfect condition and a year from now it messed up would you still contact CL or Vortex?
I'm just saying the beauty of the warranty from vortex is being able to send it in and get it repaired or a repacement.

Either way, hope everything works out for you.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bonefish
This was a hundred dollar scope and the OP was looking for revenge rather than a solution. He could have used this forum to PM Doug rather than to vent to everyone. You however are right that Doug might have been well served to quash this. I do it all the time when dealing with disproportionately angry people like the OP. It is cheaper to pay them off than to spend time listening to them bit_h and cry when they do not get exactly their way.

I think the OP WAS looking for a solution but wanted the solution his way and I think he was justified in wanting it his way. He shouldn't have been told to call Vortex; Cameraland should have taken care of it and it would never have gone as far as it did. I would have been unhappy to be treated that way had it been a $50, a $100 or a $1,000 scope. If a vendor sells you something broken, they should take care of it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Originally Posted by bonefish

I think the OP WAS looking for a solution but wanted the solution his way and I think he was justified in wanting it his way. He shouldn't have been told to call Vortex; Cameraland should have taken care of it and it would never have gone as far as it did. I would have been unhappy to be treated that way had it been a $50, a $100 or a $1,000 scope. If a vendor sells you something broken, they should take care of it.

It's disturbing to me how few people can understand this simple concept.

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
I think the OP WAS looking for a solution but wanted the solution his way and I think he was justified in wanting it his way.
He wanted it his way and is whining because Neil suggested there was a better and more efficient means of fixing his issue. I love that everyone knows what's best and is dissatisfied with anything else, whether their way is asinine or not. The OP and his ilk are impossible to satisfy, occasionally they can be placated, but that's far from the same thing......

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by verhoositz
After reading thru this thread and putting my self in each of the Players Roles, with a 40 year history of selling consumer goods to Retailers from Mom & Pop's to the Largest Big Box Stores In the US, in multiple product categories - including Hunting/Fishing equipment for 13 years - and some of the optics name brands mentioned...my thought are:

Ringworm wanted the cheapest priced & best warranted product available from a retail outlet that is known for its honesty and integrity in Cust Svc as an "Insurance Policy".

He got what he ordered in a timely manner..but it was broke on arrival, got the usage of the CS Insurance Policy & Service he expected - actually came out ahead from the Mfg'er - and he wants to whine that he had a problem when he didn't get a 1st Quality Experience when he bought less than 1st Qualty product as it was a demo/Damaged box item to begin with....regardless if it was a $10,000 product or a $100 product ...I get that...but everyone's CS people stood behind the Product to make his experience happen PDQ as possible...at the deepest Damamged Box/Demo price available in the US and he totally discounts that as not having any value.

IMO & YMMV but "THIS CUSTOMER" is the customer I always knew would be my companies worst nightmare...as he is LOOKING for a problem and will create the loudest most obnoxious problem he can IF AT ALL POSSIBLE 'cause he bought the BEST PRODUCT AT THE CHEAPEST PRICE POSSIBLE and believes he will always get screwed somehow because of it....and HIS Worst nightmare came to pass when he opened the box...and had no faith in the Insurance Policy that 'caused him to make the buying decision initially...thats called NO SELF CONFIDENCE IN MAKING A DECISION.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at the CC Co's CS unit when he filed a denial of payment request....his rquest form prolly went on the coffee room wall or was taught in training class as a an example of "Thats a good Example of an Unreasonable Demand".

As far as AMEX's CS folks, back in the '80's when I was running $125k /$140k annually in T&E and had many such circumstances to bitch about ... but was always told in essence bottom line "Whats your problem ???? If the Parties involved are trying to HELP you get what your ordered in the 1st Place ...and YOU don't want to Let Them???...call us back if you don't get the goods and services you ordered and we'll refuse Payment to the service provider ... airline/hotel/car rental yaddayadda...But not until AFTER THEY have had a chance to resolve the issue"...click.

He & We should realize that any consumer product has a % of of issues with hidden damage ...but the stuff that is offered as a "demo/Damaged box etc has a much higher likely hood of having SOME KIND OF HIDDEN DAMAGE and to expect a certain and much higher percentage of "Issues" when buying this level of consumer goods .... it happens, get over it and enjoy the savings potential...but the lesson is "ALWAYS BUY 1ST QUALITY GOODS FROM 1ST QUALITY PROVIDERS" to get that CS Insurance Policy ( try sending a $100 price point of any number of Chain Store Low Quality brand scopes back an see what you get HAHAHAHA)....and RW did do that to start with in a 1st Quality brand and Retailer...so he needs to back off and Let them give you what you contracted for as PDQ as possible.

Otherwise all you are doing is muddying up the water for your fun and games or to satisfy your personal ego at beating up on the Big Guys in a David & Goliath deal. You are sounding more and more like the guy in Nevada who wants to duck paying his cattle grazing lease contracts ...for 20 years...aways trying to get something for nothing...and whining about it when the facts come out ...the longer this incident is dragged out.

I know of a certain SoCal based P&C Casualty Co that wish's they had met their contractual Insurance Policy promises locally before they got to the courthouse in Texas... 3 times on 3 different claims...so there is always that kind of resoulution over a $100 Optics product available too. Just Sayin
Ron
Originally Posted By: Grumulkin
Originally Posted By: bonefish

It's disturbing to me how few people can understand this simple concept.
I do not own any vortex products , nor have I do business with "doug" at camrealand and I encourage everyone to read the two above post very carefully and and think

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Karma is a bytch....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Maybe if Camera Land doesn't want to exchange defective "demos", they should put a bold statement in the description "sold as is. Any warranties are processed through the manufacturer."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've purchased several items from Cameraland, including display models. Nothing I've read here would prevent me from buying more from them. Probably just the opposite.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've spoke on the phone a couple different times with Neil in the last few weeks.

Very easy to get along with type of person.

Cameraland is top notch.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Okay... in real simple terms, so that a feeble minded old man can understand, why would have been more of an imposition for the OP to send the damaged scope back to the manufacturer than sending it back to Camera Land.
Two syllablewords, short sentences, no vague abstract concepts, please...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone seems to be willing to accept on faith that the op's statement that the scope was actually broken when unboxed is true...there is no factual proof of that, and no way of proving it.

That would imply that Vortex sent out a broken unit with no QC check or oversight...that's highly unlikely.

At this point, the best outcome for the vendor would be to send a return pickup label and refund this guy's money. Otherwise, it will only get worse from here on in if continuing to deal with this customer.

I'm afraid that Doug and the Vortex crew might be too used to dealing with decent folks, but any additional amount of time spent in endlessly trying to fix something that wasn't broken to begin with is going to end up being more costly in the long run.

I would have said, "Sir, I'm sorry you had a problem. I've already sent you out a return label for the item as we speak. When you receive it, have UPS pick it up and we'll issue a full refund immediately."

Gone in 20 seconds...time is money.

Otherwise this guy will have you all dancing around chasing your own tails for months and months because he likes the feeling of power and the attention it gives him.

In my business, I try to sort these types out in the beginning, but that's harder to do on the internet.

Rule #1 of successful business is, "Don't ever be afraid to fire your customers."

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,430
Posts18,470,780
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.