Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Royce
Okay... in real simple terms, so that a feeble minded old man can understand, why would have been more of an imposition for the OP to send the damaged scope back to the manufacturer than sending it back to Camera Land.
Two syllablewords, short sentences, no vague abstract concepts, please...

He did not buy the scope from Vortex. Camerland took his money. Cameraland owes him a working scope or his money back. Cameraland did not sell the scope as used or possibly damaged - it was cosmetic box damage maybe a small handling mark. He got a scope that was thoroughly trashed and Cameraland basically told him "not my problem, call these people..."

#1) A reputable business would have offered to refund his money if he wasn't satisfied with the proposed resolution - based on what both parties have posted, it has never been offered.

#2) Camerland should have offered to send out a replacement scope and deal with the warranty issues with Vortex. This business of Camerland having to ship it back to Voertex, then Vortex to Camerlamd, then Camerland to the Customer is bullchit - this isn't a warranty claim. The OP NEVER received the merchandise he paid for - Cameraland took his money, they owe it to him NOW. If there is any shipping rodeo that needs to happen, its between Camerland and Vortex - not the OP.

#3) Not every manufacturer has a 100% replacement no questions asked warranty policy. Apparently Vortex does and Kudos to them, but I can see why the OP's BS alarm went off.

There was never a legally binding purchase between the OP and Vortex. Vortex could tell him to pound sand - they sold the OP NOTHING.

If Cameraland had said:

Sorry that happened - "I'll get you a replacement scope shipped right away or you can have your money back" this would never have been posted. Cameraland is the party that took the OP's money, not Vortex - he was not wrong to expect Camerlamd to honor their agreement.

Posting on the forum, regardless was not wise - he had all the leverage he needed with his CC company.

David

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My experiences with Cameraland on two recent purchases have been 110%.

In one of those purchases, the wrong item was shipped. The mistake was caught before reaching me, and the correct item was shipped (Vortex Dakota tripod kit) with some plussed-up options at no cost to me.

Another demo item received in 100% as new condition (MRAD eyepiece for spotting scope).

The fact that the Boss is on this forum, with genuine concern, and making things happen for a PO'd customer speaks volumes. You don't see that every day.

In my opinion Cameraland represents the best of American business ethics. The fact they are a family-owned business makes it even easier for me to choose them.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This ^^^
I just ordered another scope from CL yesterday. Once again I worked with Neil and couldn't be happier with the way things were handled. CL has always treated me well and I will continue to do business with them.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I, like most of you, have used CL in the past and have purchased several scopes. I have apparently been lucky in that they all worked and have therefore been quite happy with their service. However, If I had purchased a scope from them and it was broken and they told me to send it to the mftr. I would have been furious as well. I would have expected a replacement on it's way the same day and a call tag for the broken one. Having read all 11 pages of this post even CL finally admitted that's what they should have done and will do in the future. What disturbs me is that's not the response they started with. They were rude and condescending 10 pages ago. If I bought a scope from a local distributor, got home and it didn't work, I would be back to that distributor and home again with a new scope in an hour. Or I would have my money back. I certainly would not be talked into handling it as a warranty repair through the mftr. Years ago CL's prices were good enough, or everyone else's were bad enough, that buying with a CC online through CL made sense and I guess I was accepting a certain risk having it shipped UPS. Today, everyone is selling scopes at an identically reduced price. The internet has at least brought consistency to pricing as it is so easy to "look up" everyone's price. I did buy a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 for my AR from a local distributor for $100.00 off a few days ago which was the same discounted price everyone was selling them for. I'm getting ready to buy a 20-60x80 Bushnell Legend or the Vortex Viper 15-45x65 spotting scope however, after reading this post, I will have to admit that even if CL was significantly lower, I would probably buy elsewhere. CL's whole attitude in the beginning of suggesting it was a "slight inconvenience" to receive a broken useless scope in the mail and then telling the purchaser to handle with the manufacturer is insensitive, unprofessional and lazy. This has been a very informative topic indeed.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by California_Kid
Having read all 11 pages of this post even CL finally admitted that's what they should have done and will do in the future. What disturbs me is that's not the response they started with. They were rude and condescending 10 pages ago.

Yes indeed.

I have been buying on the internet for many years now. Back in the old days, eBay feedback listed ALL negative feedback from day one of a buyer or seller. It was interesting that some sellers could have hundreds of transactions with no negative feedback while others might have 5 or 6 negative feedbacks in 1,000 transactions. I came to realize that even a few negative feedbacks were significant. It's like some sellers think that they can throw just a little feces into the water and no one will be the wiser.

I've also bought thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment and related items from New York firms many of which are closed on Passover, Saturdays, etc. It was illuminating when I visited New York City and saw some of the establishments with big glossy ads in the magazines; they were little holes in the wall. When I started with aerial photography I dealt with a number of New York establishments and in the end after various bits of negative experiences, I now only deal with one on a regular basis and with a couple more occasionally.

As I said previously, I had one previous buying experience with Cameraland for a high end scope and have no complaints about that transaction. Whatever some may think about Ringworm and how he handled his issue, I have no reason to not believe his side of the story nor do I think the public internet flogging of Cameraland inappropriate given the circumstances.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I would have gladly called vortex as neil said to rectify this issue. When you look to buy discount you have to realize that there is a reason it can be discounted. Warranty is very often only done by contacting the manufacturer in discounted products.
As agitated as the op seems to be in this thread I can only assume how the initial conversation with CL.
Although i have never bought from CL, due to the very favorable reviews of CL seen on this thread, I will make a purchase from CL on my first opportunity. One bad review doesn't mean much.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you like your Camera Land ...you can keep 'em.
CL is a lot nicer on the forum here than in person on the phone.
When a seller , internet or otherwise, has to be beat-up to do the right thing ...they aren't worth the powder to blow 'em to hell, or make another purchase.
Cisco

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Cant believe the OP's balls are so swelled as to take this to a public forum!!

PM is pretty easy!!!

Not my way of doing business but, YMMV.

As posted in another forum, I have bought a camera, lenses, several binoculars and many scopes without a glitch. Cameraland was always top notch is CS and helping with information.

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Time is going to come when life throws some of you a bitch of a curve.

This is nothing more than a minor easily dealt with inconvenience.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
OP should send scope to Vortex and then have mom change his diaper. Good god.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by sidepass
OP should send scope to Vortex and then have mom change his diaper. Good god.

^^^
YEP

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Or since the problem has been solved and the company has resolved to handle things differently in the future, the thread could die a natural death.

But do feel free to denigrate the fellow that achieved what he wanted to achieve.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have dealt with Doug, Neil and company many times, in person and on the phone. Have always been satisfied with the product and service. Despite everything said in a negative light here, I will continue to do business with them. As for the public battering that some find appropriate, air your beef and get over it. Demos are demos. Let the buyer beware... The manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty for a reason. Especially on their lower end models.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I too have dealt with CL several times. Always professional and extended a better price than expected. Will continue to do business with them in the future in spite of the mud slinging here . Done !

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like it could not of happened to better guy. Don't they make medicine of some sort to get rid of ringworm...........? Something we might all consider. Any vets out there

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Some of you people are pretty dramatic about the sales process. You are paying a vendor your hard earned money to put a scope in a box, tape it shut, and ship it to you. It is not some magical experience, and it is not like you commissioned him to paint a portrait of your family.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by TopCat

But if you have an aversion to dealing with Vortex as a company, to the point that you don't want to deal with their CS department, it's likely not a great idea to buy one of their products in the first place.

Yep.

Because if you buy Vortex, you're going to deal with customer service. Awfully high rate of failure.

BUY LEUPOLD. They have NEVER sold me a bad scope. Seems to me there's a reason Vortex is cheaper.... Just Sayin.

And I may pay a little more, but I always buy my Optics from Cabela's. They never, ever question a return or refund. Best Customer Service for a Retail Sales Store, Ever.

Leupold isn't perfect either. Years ago I purchased a 4X M8 from Midway. Everything arrived in perfect shape including the film-wrapped factory Leupold 4X scope box. Inside, however, was not a 4X scope, but rather, a 3-9X compact. I did think about sending it back, but it really wasn't Midway's fault. Good scope too.

Or we might consider Remington. When the manipulation handle peeled off the bolt of my stainless Mountain Rifle I called their service department so I would get a good shipping address. I was told to "bring it" to a local service center. They gave me the address - a place some 500 miles distant. So I sent it there. A few days later I got a call saying they needed money to send it to the factory for me. I gave them my card number. A couple weeks later they had it back again. They called again- "you'll need to pay postage so we can send it back to you." That was efficient (and cost-effective! NOT!!)

Sometimes you know - if you listen to your gut- what needs to be done. This thread may be one of those examples where that didn't happen.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
unimaginable arrogance around here

so when someone lists a scope in the classifieds, and those buyer gets it with a loose rattling lens, would it be appropriate for the seller to wash his hands of it by instructing the buyer to send it to the manufacture?
after the seller stated publicly that three scope was "100%"?
you know that would not be appropriate.
as I state.d, vortex has stepped up to handle the issue, removidng cameras lands responsibility from the issue, which, for all intents and purposes used what Neil was attempting to do.
maybe my Southern accent lead him to think I was some hick to be rolled on.
regardless.
I don't spend a lot of money so the loss of my business won't kill him, what little I do spend can go to swfa in Texas from now on.
nothing but good service from them always.
pass the buck to vortex.
and anyone who thinks otherwise isn't capable of using their common sense.

Last edited by ringworm; 04/19/14.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cannot believe people are questioning continuing to do business with CL over this?

No doubt the OP is correct, but to continue this bashing to try and deliberately ruin a reputation is wrong IMO

Last edited by cooperfan; 04/19/14.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cooperfan

I wish/pray the OP wasn't a hater of god. That bothers me more than anything. I feel sorry for him.

Why don't you just say that the fellow beats little children, pulls the heads off chickens, and is gay.

What sort of weird arse f_ckwit introduces crap like that into a thread about rifle scopes.

Grow up you wanker.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.