-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I know, Travis. But it wasn't a sob story to get a bigger tip. She came out, hugged me, and told me about her plight AFTER I'd tipped her. That put a different slant on it.

I think but can't prove that I had my CC number heisted in a Las Vegas eatery once. A $100 charge showed up the next month, which I contested and got removed. And they sent me a new card, per policy. That's once in a zillion times (I don't pay cash for anything) and it happened in Vegas - ought to be no surprise.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Me neither. EVERYTHING goes on our AMEX and if there is ever an issue, AMEX removes it, no questions asked. 20% is my standard, but like Rock, I've tipped well in excess of that, large tats notwithstanding of course...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I got dinged at a Chinese place, years back. Yeah, it got taken care of by the CC company, but it pisses me off that these low lives are getting "stuff" at the expense of others.

The local waitresses got in trouble here because they were writing in tips on credit card receipts when the customers left it blank. Somebody must have noticed it. You know to watch your wallet when a big sign is up next to the cash register telling you to put Zero in that spot, if you are going to leave it blank.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Me neither. EVERYTHING goes on our AMEX and if there is ever an issue, AMEX removes it, no questions asked. 20% is my standard, but like Rock, I've tipped well in excess of that, large tats tits notwithstanding of course...

Fixed for ya... I know your predilection for "marbling", my friend!!

But to get serious for a bit... in most states the wage paid to wait staff is much lower than the mandated "minimum" wage. This is because everybody assumes that tips will make up the difference. It's an honor system that goes back beyond history, and it's not gonna change just because some cheapskate like the OP doesn't like it.

I tip 20% routinely, and often more. I'm paying my server an honorarium for serving me, for being polite and congenial, for being good company. It's part of the social contract of dining out as far as I'm concerned. Places I go regularly know this about me, and I get fabulous service and a high-quality dining experience because they know they don't have to guess about whether they're gonna get paid.

I think it would be great policy for people who don't tip to have "I DON'T TIP" tattoo'd to their foreheads. Then you'll get the service you deserve from the get-go.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes good intentions on our part don't go as planned....
My daughters both worked as servers while in college, so I'm pretty sensitive to tips and try to do as much as I can for good workers.
We were at Lewiston's finest (read Applebee's, snork) one night and our server was so-so. While sitting there watching the staff I noticed a high school age girl clearing tables for the whole place. She was busting ass the whole time I was there and very courteous.
When we left I left our girl a 15-20% tip and as I was walking by the buser I handed her a ten and said, "You are doing a great job".
I walked out the front door, looked back through the windows and the buser is standing there staring at the money in her hand, totally confused.
She then looked around and slowly walked over to my abandoned table and place the bill on the other bills I had left for the server and went back to work.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If service is good, I'll leave 20%. For some reason I always seem to over tip when I go to Hooters. whistle

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
She still has my AMEX Platinum...

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We usually frequent the same establishments and all the bartenders and waitress' know us as very good tippers. We are always treated well and sometimes, even get comped a free drink or appetizer.

Sometimes I might go out for a beer but I always make sure they get a very good tip. Most are hard working people and have bills and mortgages like the rest of us and I don't mind helping them out.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hardest worker in the place but not the brightest. Unless accepting it would break some (stupid) rule.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
They had this new gizmo (a tablet type thing) sitting on the table that let's you pay right there with your debit card. Your server.....who actually did take and deliver your order.........is no longer involved after you chow down.

I'm another one who hates having to wait on them to take my cc when I'm done and ready to leave. If those new gizmos also have a call button for your server when you want them, it sounds like an all around good deal to me.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The digital checkouts encourage customers to accept whatever tip amount is 'suggested'. People are hesitant to take the time to change it. They will become more popular.

If you don't tip on the card, put a line through that area, a zero, or 'on table' in the tip area of a receipt.

Another tip if adding it to your CC, is to tip to make the total to the nearest whole dollar. That way when you get your CC bill. it's evident if the charge was monkeyed with.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always put a line over the tip portion of the bill when I'm leaving cash as a tip. Haven't had any problems doing it that way.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Yeah, I know, Travis. But it wasn't a sob story to get a bigger tip. She came out, hugged me, and told me about her plight AFTER I'd tipped her. That put a different slant on it.

I know. You're a good person. But I'm not, and "single-moms" are seated right next to the homeless in the world o' flave.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Read through this whole thread--very interesting. My wife and both of my daughters, not to mention a couple of nephews (of whom I am very fond) and now a couple of grandchildren have worked to help put themselves through school waiting tables. I am a 20 percent tipper for the most part. I will occasionally deviate if the service is really poor (a rare occurrence) or if the wait staff has gone way above and beyond the call of duty.

As has been said, the restaurant business model is geared to include gratuities for the wait staff. If you don't know and appreciate that fact, you should probably stick with McDonalds, Taco Bell or Burger King.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In quite a few states, those fast food employees make the same wage as a server at a sit down restaurant.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Daughter worked as a waitress for more than a few years in HS and college, and noticed no one here knew that in many places the tips are split between the waitress, bus boy, bartender etc also.

I always start at 20% and adjust fire from there up or down and try to pay in cash vs the CC on the tip.

She hated skinflints that demanded champagne service and paid with a Kool Aid tip, if at all. 99% of them also laugh about it and think it is funny.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The "solution" here is simple... make your own dinner at home and no tip is involved since no one tips the grocery store's butcher or the person at the cash register.

N'est pas, mon ami? grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BountyHunter
Daughter worked as a waitress for more than a few years in HS and college, and noticed no one here knew that in many places the tips are split between the waitress, bus boy, bartender etc also.

I always start at 20% and adjust fire from there up or down and try to pay in cash vs the CC on the tip.

She hated skinflints that demanded champagne service and paid with a Kool Aid tip, if at all. 99% of them also laugh about it and think it is funny.

When my girls were servers....sharing was optional...

Don't waitstaff have to declare X% of their invoices now as tips.....even if the tip wasn't X%? I believe the Fed has this law now.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i always try to "tip" my wife 100% when she serves dinner.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dessert first......

Last edited by wageslave; 04/17/14. Reason: s

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 61 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.