Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Are you ready for another rant on the absurdity that is our
dear USPS??????

I went to local po today to mail a rifle I had sold. Took my
C&R with me as the dealer it was going to would not accept it from
an individual. Good so far....I thought....
Last I checked it was legal for an individual to ship a long gun to a dealer. Hey, I figured if that was ok, it would be even more
ok to inclose a copy of my 03 to make it even more ok....right?
Wrong...I have shipped a long gun at this contract PO before...and the same lady waited on me today...and we are kinda
friendly so I figured this should go well....wrong....she asked if it was a "gun", gee...it's going to XXXXX Firearms...wonder what made her think of it being a gun? Yes I replied...ooops!
wrong answer!!!!!!! I am asked if I have a form 1508...huh??
NO, but my license is in with the rifle and I can go get one out of the car if you want it....NO you HAVE to have a 1508...
a what???????
Now, later I called 3 guys having an 01 FFL and asked them if they had ever heard of this...and all 3 said: "HUH?"
I was told I should have had one...huh??? broken record by now
HUH???
Long story a little shorter...boss called big PO and was told to print one of their website...but it won't let him in....so off I go to next PO...They were supposed to have one for me....
only when I got there and asked for a 1508...wait for it....'

HUH?

He finally found it....took a LONG time examining my FFL and finally figured out how to fill in the blessed 1508. And finally got to mail my no longer mine rifle...

So my question to all, including Bricktop, is this:

If you have an 01/03, has anyone ever told you you had to have a
1508????

Did something new come out of world wide PO HQ? Only the 1508
was issued in 1981. Yep 33 yrs. ago....

So do you know how to fill it in? Have you ever heard of this?
And last comment I got went like this....we won't be doing this much longer....this being shipping firearms, even from dealers.
WTF?

Ok...I'll sit back and enjoy my popcorn now...feel free to comment...I might learn something...hopefully....

HUH?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You don't need it, but the Pos-ozos haven't a clue much of the time. I was thrown out of the Carson City NV main PO, because I kept insisting I wasn't a dealer and didn't need to fill out any form. I remained polite, but they called the sheriff. I just took it to the satellite office, where the ladies have half a brain and mailed. It was a long gun broken down.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could have just enclosed your C&R inside with the rifle for the dealer you were sending it to; and not put 'XXXXX Firearms' on the front of the box (I NEVER do that)...just ask the dealer for the shipping address and his name (or you can use the name of the guy who actually bought it) and use that information to address the package. After shipping a whole bunch of rifles, shotguns, and handguns through the USPS over the last two decades, I have never had a problem with them. Not one. Never had to fill out a form either. I'd rather use them than either UPS or FedEx.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just remember to answer the only question they can ask...."anything flammable,liquid,fragile etc enclosed".....no, is the correct answer, then off it goes to its destination.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Answer the three simple questions, explosives, liquids, perishables.

No No No

As far as that goes it's nobody's business what your shipping, why people answer anything further is beyond me?

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Just remember to answer the only question they can ask...."anything flammable,liquid,fragile etc enclosed".....no, is the correct answer, then off it goes to its destination.

Yep. In spades.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cal74
Answer the three simple questions, explosives, liquids, perishables.

No No No

As far as that goes it's nobody's business what your shipping, why people answer anything further is beyond me?

I slipped when I was insuring it for $3,000.00. I told what it was, and the Pos-zos freaked. Never again... whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, put the name of the individual (dealer's given name) on the FFL where you're sending it, not the business name. Saves a lot of headaches, and don't use a gun case to ship in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The USPS is a pretty hard place to do business with, BUT this all could have easily been avoided. WHY, I ask, Why would you ever tell the person behind the counter it is a gun. Were you looking for trouble? You are under no obligation whatsoever to tell them it's a gun. For that matter, why include Firearms on the address label? I address my guns to the name of the person having the FFL on the other end. Why ask for trouble?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Ok....I admit not having thought of putting a person's name on
the label and not xyz firearms....good thought....but when she very pointedly asked me if it was a firearm since the label said
"xyz firearms"...I am not conditioned to outright lie to someone
I thought of as not just a clerk but a friend...just not made that way...

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
No Kodiak...not looking for trouble...just not made out to tell an
outright lie like that...

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
antlers: C&R was in the box...told them that....did NOT matter what license I had...they HAD to have the freaking 1508!!!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fgold767
No Kodiak...not looking for trouble...just not made out to tell an
outright lie like that...

I don't consider it an outright lie. They have no authority to ask and you have no obligation to answer. There's lots of things I wouldn't tell people because they have no reason to know.

Consider it a lesson learned in dealing with the post office.

As far as the 1508, my understanding is that is for dealer to dealer shipment of handguns. It is not needed for long guns as they do not require a dealer to ship.

Last edited by Kodiakisland; 04/17/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fgold767
antlers: C&R was in the box...told them that....did NOT matter what license I had...they HAD to have the freaking 1508!!!!!!!

The C&R was just for the dealer who you said wouldnt accept from an unlicensed individual. You don't have to tell the USPS anything about a license or anything else. Just answer their standard questions with a "no". You might as well be shipping a box of widgets as a firearm. It does not matter. You'll know better next time, after getting the advice you've received...and it'll go much better in all likelihood. Good luck brother.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Form 1508 is for an FFL shipping a handgun to another FFL. Requiring it for anything else is bovine excrement.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Form 1508 is for an FFL shipping a handgun to another FFL. Requiring it for anything else is bovine excrement.

The one I found online says "firearms"
The word "Handgun" is nowhere on it

It was also dated 1994:
http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf

More detailed regulations, with no mention of Form 1508
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Last edited by Snyper; 04/18/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have never had any problems shipping guns at usps in my area.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by Skidrow

The one I found online says "firearms"
The word "Handgun" is nowhere on it

It was also dated 1994:
http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf

More detailed regulations, with no mention of Form 1508
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

A FFL is not required to ship a long gun. No need for a 1508 since it is not necessary to provide proof of having a FFL. A FFL is required to mail a handgun. Only reason to provide a 1508 is to ship a handgun. The last link you provided does mention a 1508 being required to ship a handgun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
your not supposed to tell any usps employee what is in your package, because they are the most likely to steal it.
My expirence closely matches the OP.
long story short, usps worker refused to ship rifle,had to go into the postmasters office, we called her supervisor, I told her I was trying to ship a rifle to an ffl holder, and she asked the postmaster " whats the problem". rifle got shipped, employee got ass chewed for being a dink.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm lucky... we have a local female postmaster, who is also a CCW Firearms instructor... 4 towns over, but shipping a firearm there is ALWAYS not an issue.. as long as the shipper abides by the rules... and she is WELL versed in Postal Service Regulations...

local gal at the UPS hub is also well versed in UPS rules and regulations...and is pro firearm... not anti gun, who usually make stuff up as they go along, to cover up their cluelessness, and to promote their political agenda...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,036
Posts18,481,953
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.