Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
And i'm mixed on it. I've never been a fan of compact or midsoze vehicles for police use simply from a safety standpoint. However, these seem pretty rugged, and have some pretty nice features. It did take some getting used to the AWD though, as well as operator room, as i'm used to a Tahoe. They(the Taurus) accelerate very quickly and handle well at high speed. I don't know if I would say they are better than Crown Vics but i think they are better than Chargers.

A buddy of mine works for a dept that has some of the New Chevy Caprice PPVs and said they aren't happy with them at all. I'd still rather keep my Tahoe

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm not a fan.....

The AWD did do extremely well this winter and the damn things handle like they're on rails. It's the climbing down into them and the interior that I dislike. I have around 65k on "my" (issued) Vic. If history is an indicator I'm good for another 70+.

We're, likely, going to the "Explorers". They handle the same, still AWD and more room.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
you need one of these with a 440 in it.

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's back when cop cars could haul ass.

Love that movie.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
George. Good morning. All things considered i'm not a fan of any of the "midsize" vehicles. I absolutely hate the Impalas. None of them, from the Ford to the Charger and from what i've seen even the new Explorer have a 'quality' level of operator room in them. This is our first Taurus, and as it's a general fleet car, I doub't i'll drive it much. Everyone on my shift has take home cars.

When Ford decided to do away with the Crown Vics we started buying Tahoes, both 2wd and 4wd. And as far as I'm concerned they are THE patrol vehicle, they handle well , have adequate ground clearance and plenty of power.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
my uncle (retired Fed ) use to tell a story of when he was on a pursuit, he was driving some kind of chevy, when Joaquin Jackson driving a dodge with a 440 passed him like he was standing still.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some of the bigger Troopers I know told me they can't fit in the passenger side seat with the computer and radio equipment.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Pat. I don't doubt that. But i don't know any vehicle that that is possible to do comfortably

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Neighboring department is having oil burning problems with their new Ford Interceptors. They think it may be in the turbos. They have also had two rear end problems and Ford did not have the part nor the tool to fix it. The two cars received new rear ends under warranty.

Our shop mechanics don't feel the Interceptor will be as rugged and reliable as the CVPI's.

My department has switched to the Chargers and they have worked well so far. Will be interesting to see how they hold up. My 2011 Crown Vic(purchased in 2012) has 35,000 miles so I'm good to go for a few more years.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by gitem_12
George. Good morning. All things considered i'm not a fan of any of the "midsize" vehicles. I absolutely hate the Impalas. None of them, from the Ford to the Charger and from what i've seen even the new Explorer have a 'quality' level of operator room in them. This is our first Taurus, and as it's a general fleet car, I doub't i'll drive it much. Everyone on my shift has take home cars.

When Ford decided to do away with the Crown Vics we started buying Tahoes, both 2wd and 4wd. And as far as I'm concerned they are THE patrol vehicle, they handle well , have adequate ground clearance and plenty of power.

We have tried to talk the "brass" into Tahoe's as well but our budget will not allow it. Too bad because I agree these are great vehicles.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by stxhunter
my uncle (retired Fed ) use to tell a story of when he was on a pursuit, he was driving some kind of chevy, when Joaquin Jackson driving a dodge with a 440 passed him like he was standing still.

We got into a pursuit once when i worked for another dept. it ended up on the interstate, we were soung about a buck ten, and out of nowhere I see these headlights coming behind me, walks past me like i was going backeards, and them turns on his Emergency Lights. [bleep] thing was a Dodge Viper. Afyer the fact i found out it was confiscated, and had been sold at auction, only to be donated back to that dept. the dept took up a fund rasier to have a light package and paint job done on it. And used it for highway enforcement

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think all cops should be driving the new Fiat 500L. Life for the oppressors SHOULD be uncomfortable. laugh lol

Sam......

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I know you dislike "us" and would enjoy the suffering, but where would I put my dog.... grin

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by NH K9
I know you dislike "us" and would enjoy the suffering, but where would I put my dog.... grin

Duhh...Passenger seat. wink

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I remember the old Dodge 440's. Texas DPS had to put Super Coolers on them because they would overheat in the Texas sun...

Favorite was the Chrysler Newport back then though. Mine had a 360 Premium w/ Quadrajet in it. It would run...:D

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Pat. I don't doubt that. But i don't know any vehicle that that is possible to do comfortably

They like the Explorers , or the crown Vic's with out the partition walls so they can slide the seats back.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NH K9

well George, I like dogs, even cop dogs, so in your case, how about an Escalade? laugh

Sam......

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I think all cops should be driving the new Fiat 500L. Life for the oppressors SHOULD be uncomfortable. laugh lol

I'm thinking them Smart Car's should be standard issue.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I'm thinking them Smart Car's should be standard issue.

Even that is to much car for some of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The local county and HPD uses a lot of Chargers and Crown Vic's, during the winter they are close to useless aside from the plowed highway.

A few of the guys park at the local fire hall because the cars they are issued won't make it up to their houses.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,286
Posts18,486,887
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.