Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Just out of curiosity, what's the best way to go, IMO, for a "touring" vehicle? Class A is out. I looked at some Class C with the 3.0 diesel engine, and they look really nice for road trips. Or, is it much better to go the 5th wheel or toy hauler route? I do like the looks of a 27ish foot motor home with a diesel though.

GB4

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If you like it and it's size won't prevent you from stopping at the DQ for a milkshake, buy it.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have done the motor home and both types of trailer. For me, a bumper pull is the answer. I can get by with unhooking to use my truck, and I can carry a load of wood back to camp. My motor home getting stuck in the mud in Montana was fun, all the 4wd trucks made it no problem, but I had to rally the crap out of my ride to get home.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I prefer a bumper pull also. If hanging at Del Webb in Sun City AZ a motor home might be mo'betta.

I can unhook and get thru the DQ for my milkshake a lot easier.lol

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For comfort/flexibility/convenience going down the road and least hassle when stopping to sleep/visit - I think decent sized motorhome.

For flexibility when you are staying somehwere for a while and want to run around in a truck - a trailer, and I prefer a 5th wheel setup due to towing stability.

There are some excellent pickup bed mounted campers on the market, but they seem like the least best option these days. Even the great ones are cramped in space by comparison, but a good thing is you are not concerned about a trailer back there and a truck with camper can go most places easily.

For easiest tow, lowest cost and ability to get into tighter/bumpier places for hunting/fishing, etc. - I prefer a tent trailer (some call them pop-ups). But, it''s even easier to just sleep in the back of my old 4wd Blazer when way,way back in hunting.

We have done all of the above and currently have an aged motorhome and aged tent trailer. I recently converted an old motorhome to a flatbed/gooseneck hauler (with sleeper cab) and am looking for a less than 25 ft. used 5th wheel in great condition. Not easy to find around here.

That's all I have to add - hope it helps.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by high_country_
I have done the motor home and both types of trailer. For me, a bumper pull is the answer. I can get by with unhooking to use my truck, and I can carry a load of wood back to camp. My motor home getting stuck in the mud in Montana was fun, all the 4wd trucks made it no problem, but I had to rally the crap out of my ride to get home.

This here. Crew cab diesel truck, camper shell, and bumper pull trailer. Drop the trailer and everyone has a seat and I can store all the fishing gear, cooler, etc in the shell. I did one year without the camper shell and it was a pain.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned them all. For ease of travel I don't think you can beat a motorhome but you never stop working on them. I couldn't keep mice and rats out of mine. I used it to attend benchrest matches and I loved being able to pull into a rest area, crank up the generator and get comfortable. I didn't use it for family vacations, though.

For vacations I'd probably prefer a pull behind with a pickup.

If I were to start back shooting/traveling I'd get a toy hauler since it would be just me and a couple of dogs but that ain't gonna happen at my age.

Whichever route you choose be prepared to own a money pit.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Calvin,

For me personally - "only" a 5th wheel!! They tow better than a tow-behind, and give you approx. 7 more feet of living area with overall (tow vech. + trailer) lenght about the same. Your mid to upper end 5th. wheels also have a bunch of storage area. If your selective, several 5th wheels are true 4 season units. My wife and I have spent many nights in our units at -20 to -30 degrees F, with no freeze-ups. Last but not least, and this is were my paranoia kicks in!!!! The most likely component to fail in a motor vehicle is something in the drive train (motorhome). I'd much rather have my tow vehicle (pick-up) at the repair shop while I sleep in my 5th wheel with my guns, cameras, ect., than be in a motel room while everything I travel with is at an unknown shop!!! I'm really not fond of motel rooms!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've been considering a Class B RV (I don't need much space) for cross-country touring. One thing I like is the ability to roll out of the driver's seat and into a bunk whenever I feel like it and not have to get out in a downpour, walk to an entrance and, unlock a door.

Also, I prefer to be inside if anyone starts tampering with the vehicle when parked for the night.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Sick
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here is what I ended up with, it is our third fifth wheel, mine has one slide out, storage in front, storage in the belly and a large side door that is around six feet tall it has the most storage of any we have had.
Tows great and even took it hunting one year.
[Linked Image]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My preference is the 5th wheel. Easy to hook up and easier to tow than a travel trailer. I do like the idea of a motorhome but having to tow a secondary vehicle keeps me from going that rooute.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Gotta get my 2 cents in before the 30ft mansions start showing up...

Grew up traveling in one and finally talked my grandfather out of his. The only way to roll fellas... cool
[Linked Image]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for a 5th wheel, we've had them all growing up. Get to where you're going and un-hook and go do your thing.

I'd personally keep a 5th wheel with a 26' or less floor plan (Not including the 5th wheel part). That size you can still get it around very well.

I like the looks of the size of Partsman's he posted above.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by high_country_

Another vote with HC. Being able to keep base camp and then unhitch and go do what you gotta do is the ultimate in flexiblity.

- Rogue
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A Lexus and a Hilton Honors membership

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a 5th wheel. For our purposes, it is the best choice for me IMO short of a motorhome that costs 3-4+ times as much, but my choice would be different if my uses were different. If I was touring the country, etc., it would be a pain setting up, packing back up, etc., every couple of days.

Ours is a beast, but it's for the family plus son's friends. We don't go place to place much, usually just to one place per trip. It has most the comforts of home (and more than a hotel!), but we can be in places out of the city.

40ft mansion -

[Linked Image]

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
That thing is a beast!

I'm liking the looks of those truck bed campers too. I better make some money this summer..(grin) I can picture myself driving the south with a truck bed camper and a bass boat in tow in the winter months.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I can only see Calvin in an Earthroamer.

[Linked Image]

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TXRam
I have a 5th wheel. For our purposes, it is the best choice for me IMO short of a motorhome that costs 3-4+ times as much, but my choice would be different if my uses were different. If I was touring the country, etc., it would be a pain setting up, packing back up, etc., every couple of days.

Ours is a beast, but it's for the family plus son's friends. We don't go place to place much, usually just to one place per trip. It has most the comforts of home (and more than a hotel!), but we can be in places out of the city.

40ft mansion -

[Linked Image]

ya mines about 36 + hook up,02 Jayco bought used great shape, can be a little long in some circumstances , but when you live in something for 6 months on a work site it beats the he77 out of a 9 ft camper.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
have had a motorhome, currently have a slide in camper.

like it for up here, as you said Calvin, I can tow the boat or snowmachine trailer behind it.

we beat the crap out of our old slide in by going down some pretty rough roads. One time I had to sit on top and saw overhanging limbs outa the way while momma kept inching us closer to the gravel bar on the river we wanted to camp.

for just the missus and I to tour America, we're looking at a van setup like one of the posters pictured. Will probably rent one for a trip (if we can find one available to rent) to see how we like it.

if it's too cramped, gonna go the 5th wheel or bumper pull version. We'll do plenty of camping but will want to go to some cities as well.

I desire to have the ability to be more mobile than what a slide in or motor home offers doing such.

I'll try the van thingy route, but really don't think it will be roomy enough.

we don't need much, smaller 5th wheel or bumper pull will be plenty for us and the odd grandkid or two

I've got to see about riggin up a small motor for my inflatable canoe, but my wife really doesn't enjoy being on the water as much as I do.

but I've a feeling the van thing will be just too small for comfort.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (12344mag, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,979
Posts18,480,890
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.