Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
What do you think of your rifles? Pros? Cons? I'm thinking of getting a stainless .308 model in the distant future, although I will probably wait until they are discontinued and being blown out somewhere 'cuz I'm a f'n jerk like that. grin laugh

Swampman700, you need not comment, your opinion/opinions means absolutely nothing to me, everyone else who owns or has owned one please share your thoughts.

GB1

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't owned one but spoken to quite a few who have - and I think it would be fair to say all have ended up disappointed. They were very popular when first released down here, but now there are a lot going on the second hand market. Pros: accurate and indestructible. Cons: clunky, heavy, rough as guts and largely an exercise in styling. A 30-30 lever with a compact scope is more practical.

Last edited by dhg; 04/19/14.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I haven't owned one, but I did get to shoot one and talk to the owner.
I'm kind of puzzled by the comments on "clunky" and heavy. If that's how you felt, why did you buy one ?
The one I shot had the original 16.5 inch barrel. It shot softer than I thought it would. The untuned trigger wasn't as bad as I fear it would be. I understand they can be reworked to make most people happy with them.
They have some features I rather like.
First, one can adjust the lenth of pull. Might be worth doing. Never tried it, but I have had a couple of stock lenthend, and ordered one a little longer than standard.
They come with very good iron sights. Remove the rear sight and one can mount a conventional scope. I had a custom scout rifle for a while. I didn't care for the Burris 2.7X Scout Scope I had. For me, the ideal scope for the Gunsite Scout would be Leupold's 1.25-4X20 VX-R Patrol. I have one on my M70 Fwt.
I, too, am thinking hard about getting one. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SAUMHUNTER79

Swampman700, you need not comment, your opinion/opinions means absolutely nothing to me, everyone else who owns or has owned one please share your thoughts.

Everyone on the fire should just make that their signature line. It would save a lot of bandwidth...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love my Ruger Scout in .308. It's my go to hog gun at the Ranch. I know others complained they were not accurate, but mine will shoot 1/2" 5-shot groups @ 100 yards all day long with the cheap Factory Remington Corelok 150 gr. ammo.
Very soft on the recoil, too. I just stuck a little Leupold 3X9 Compact on mine as soon as I bought it. I'm not a fan of the so called "scout" scopes.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I haven't owned one, but I did get to shoot one and talk to the owner.
I'm kind of puzzled by the comments on "clunky" and heavy. If that's how you felt, why did you buy one ?

What I meant was that in my part of the world, most of the guys who got the GSR were chasing pigs in heavy cover, and I think a majority have come to the conclusion that they would probably have rather stuck with their old 30-30 lever guns for this job. If you compare the GSR to a quality 30-30 lever gun, which in the end does essentially the same thing (especially the short barrelled GSR), the old fashioned lever gun just handles faster and seems the more efficient package. A 30-30 lever with 20" barrel is of similar length and offers similar ballistics to the short barrelled GSR, but can be 6.5lb vs about 7'5lb, doesn't have the bulky magazine right where your hand wants to go, and just shoulders better and works smoother.

It depends what you want to use the rifle for, but it is still pretty hard to beat the old rear-locking American lever for a no-nonsense, reliable, compact woods rifle.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
[Linked Image]

A+++++ on my GSR - short compact - recoil is nothing - remove the scout rail and use as standard scope mount. Not into scout scopes. Scope is a VX-3 2.5-8x36mm Boone & Crocket reticle. Whack a 12" x 12" steel plate at 400 yards no problem. Mine is a 3/4" to 1 " shooter with a couple of bullet weights that I've tried.

Couple of bad things - 10 round steel magazine rattles like crazy. Purchased a 3 & 5 round polymer magazine. They feed smooth and no noise. Second thing is it's a bit on the heavy side but that's what a sling is for.

RJM ( member & friend ) waited for the stainless to come out. He mounted one of the new Burris Scout Scopes on his rifle. I believe it's a 2-7 with ballistic plex. Put it on 7 power and whack away. I shot his rifle set-up and there was no problem hitting the 400 yard plate. It's a clean looking set-up but he does like the scout system.

Ken

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Or buy a Ruger American Compact in 308 and call it a day.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A lot of talk about sccuracy.

However, what I want to know is what do you think of the rifle after carrying it from dawn till dusk for several days?

NRA: Benefactor
There's never time to do it right,
but there's always time to do it over!!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I like mine.
i've never carried it from dawn til dusk,but i suppose it's doable.

I have 3 .308's,my GSR is a dedicated sub-sonic round shooter.
Can't wait to get my tax stamp,and screw a suppressor on it.

With Sierra 190 MK's and 11.0 gr. Trail Boss I have put 10 in just over an inch.
Mike

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mikeone - how's that 190gr SMK work for you? I've got a .30/06 Rem LR rifle that, once the trigger re-call is handled, I'd like to try in it. Fired prone I'd think it would produce less felt recoil on the shoulder than a .300WM yet still allow high BC's down range. What do you think? Homesteader

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'd suggest the 155 g. Scenar or the new Sierra 155 gr. Palma bullet in the '06. With 58 grs. of Ramshot Big Game, it shoots surprisingly flat, and bucks wind well. With a BC of about .480 and muzzle velocity of 3000 fps. plus, it certainly performs well.
But, above all, recoil is alot less than my 200 gr. loads and even noticably less than my 180 gr. loads. E

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by SAUMHUNTER79

Everyone on the fire should just make that their signature line. It would save a lot of bandwidth...
laugh!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by firearms44
[Linked Image]

A+++++ on my GSR - short compact - recoil is nothing - remove the scout rail and use as standard scope mount. Not into scout scopes. Scope is a VX-3 2.5-8x36mm Boone & Crocket reticle. Whack a 12" x 12" steel plate at 400 yards no problem. Mine is a 3/4" to 1 " shooter with a couple of bullet weights that I've tried.

Couple of bad things - 10 round steel magazine rattles like crazy. Purchased a 3 & 5 round polymer magazine. They feed smooth and no noise. Second thing is it's a bit on the heavy side but that's what a sling is for.

RJM ( member & friend ) waited for the stainless to come out. He mounted one of the new Burris Scout Scopes on his rifle. I believe it's a 2-7 with ballistic plex. Put it on 7 power and whack away. I shot his rifle set-up and there was no problem hitting the 400 yard plate. It's a clean looking set-up but he does like the scout system.

Ken
Is that the 5 or 3 round mag in this pic? I'm assuming 5?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'd probably buy & use the 3 round mag if I get one, as I prefer a smoother belly on my rifle, and it would just be for hunting anyway, plus save a little weight between that and Talley scope mounts for the rail.

I also want the stainless model so I can use the supplied thread protector and take that butt-ugly and unnecessary flash hider (IMO) off.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I like mine, I killed 3 hogs with it this year. I won the gun at a Friends of NRA banquet. I run a 130 gr. Barnes TSX @ 2800 fps. It shoots 1/2 to 3/4" @ 100 all day, with minimal recoil.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for sharing!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a LH RGS and I enjoy shooting and hunting with it. I used the iron sights for quite awhile and this Christmas I succumed to a Black Friaday sale and bought a Burris 2.5X Scout scope and Leupold QRW rings. I like the Scout scope for shooting from field positions. I have not felt hindered in low light or morning sun - when the sun shines at me. Some have commented they have trouble with the Scout scope when looking into the morning sun.
The large cross hairs require the use of larger targets. I use black retangles on white background paper and aim for the corners. This allows me to align the cross hair with the edge of the rectangle and prevents canting.
I ned a better sling and I am thinking Andy's Rhodesian sling is what I will try.
I dont care for bi-pods so I dont have any of that. I use the three shot nagazine.
This rifle displays surprising accuracy with a variety of bullet weights.I am not able to live up to the rifles accuracy potential shooting from field positions.
I would like to replace the flash hider with a solid flash hider simply because I am not a "tactical" kind of shooter.

I know what dhg trying to describe. I cannot adequatly express the thought either. I shoot a few lever action rifles - my primary reason for "interneting" is to discuss lever action rifle shooting - and a side by side comparison of the Winchester Model 94AE in 307 with the Ruger GSR is interesting. My first impression was the unscoped GSR was heavier than the Model 94 Big Bore with a scope. This is not the case but the impression was strong.
The Ruger GSR did not feel as "lively" in my hands as the lever action rifle. The balance of the GSR is good with the center of gravity between the hands. The GSR comes to the shoulder quickly but the safetety is slow - even after you become accustomed to it. The bolt on my GSR has smoothed up and works reasonably fast/smooth but the Model 94 will shuck out three rounds quicker. I can see where a pig hunter who primarily hunts in thick brush would prefer the lever action rifle.
I have a Model 94 16" Trapper in 30-30 with a 2.5X scope mounted in a Burris forward mount. This rifle is quick to shoulder and the action cycles smoothly without distracting the shooter. The first shot is quick with a stab-at-the-hammer and both eyes open, point and shoot that the bolt action rifle has difficulty emulating.
I like and enjoy shooting my Riger Scout rifle but it will not take the place of a Model 94 Trapper or the 444 Winchester Timber Rifle for fast shooting in close brush. There is a feel to the thin lever action rifle that is difficult to describe.

[Linked Image]

Slim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oheremicus - had not thought about the lighter end of the weight range for the '06. Be interesting to compare 168SMK also. Thanks.
Homesteader

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Mine is shown with the 3 round mag.

Ken

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.