-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I can tell you the theory of hitting with a sideways leverage is sound, not sure about the tool he's got there, but I think it would work very well.

My dad taught me to split reasonable wood using a double bitted axe, and twisting after it hits. That uses the opposing end of the axe as a counterweight to help pry open the wood. It makes a ring when the axe lands flat on its side on the firewood after torquing the wood open.
I can imagine this thing works good, it's got an offset balance rather than needing to mechanically twist the axe when it falls. Why don't you guys pitch in and buy one for me and I'll try it out for you, since you're all old and crippled up. grin

LOL
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by milespatton
however, i'd rather split good oak, than pine or other softer woods.

All oaks are not equal. Red oak or White oak will usually split pretty good. Post oak or black jack oak will be hell unless away from the edge of the woods. Others will vary too. All fence row trees are suspect. miles

i agree, but since i have 300+ acres (not mine, but a friends) available to cut from, i can afford to be choosy.

ked

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Question, can you fellows over there cut on public lands?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JSTUART

i have never done it, but i suspect the answer would be no.

ked

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Well, I can tell you the theory of hitting with a sideways leverage is sound, not sure about the tool he's got there, but I think it would work very well.

My dad taught me to split reasonable wood using a double bitted axe, and twisting after it hits. That uses the opposing end of the axe as a counterweight to help pry open the wood. It makes a ring when the axe lands flat on its side on the firewood after torquing the wood open.
I can imagine this thing works good, it's got an offset balance rather than needing to mechanically twist the axe when it falls. Why don't you guys pitch in and buy one for me and I'll try it out for you, since you're all old and crippled up. grin

Only if you drive out and split mine too

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Originally Posted by JSTUART

i have never done it, but i suspect the answer would be no.

ked

Yes on National Forest land.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He was breathing pretty hard toward the end. Before I bought my first log splitter I split oak (liked red oak and water oak the best) using a 6 pound sledge and steel wedges. Later on in the day it was all I could do to pick the sledge hammer up over my head using the two rubber bands I had for arms. Thought a few times I might have to out run the sledge hammber. blush

I bought a log splitter from Sears and when my dad saw it his comment was, "What kind of toy you got there?" It wasn't long before he decided to try it out so he could ridicule me some more---it was years before I could get it back and had to go to his house in the night and steal it back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My chiropractor could become a rich man if I was to split wood as displayed in video.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks like he's fixin' to sell that wood - I would too and keep the better heating wood for myself. Let's see how he is with a good block of shagbark hickory with a knot or two - even frozen through, that stuff's "fun" to work.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not an expert. As said above the rounds are short and they are easy ones.

Some are easy, some aren't. Big knarly aspen will sometimes test you. Maybe he can do an elm demo for us...

I try to cut the rounds about 30" for the boiler and then split them when loading it. This year was busy due to the global warm-up--10 cords. I use one of Bailey's heavy mauls and my neighbor does same with an axe. Neither of us have convinced the other...:)

Seems unlikely that an offset would be something wondrous... maybe more like a wrist injury.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That uses the opposing end of the axe as a counterweight to help pry open the wood. It makes a ring when the axe lands flat on its side on the firewood after torquing the wood open.

It can also bust the eye of the axe. Standing across a large block of red oak from the splitter it will make a whistling sound as it brush's your cap on the way by. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think the point of his video is that the tire makes it stay upright and easy to deal with, not that it isn't particularly tough wood to split.

I split about 1/2 cord of Eucalyptus today. Used a 10 HP Barretto hydraulic splitter. Most of the time it took multiple bites to get it to go through. The splitter is almost new and can't split most of it. Struggles with mesquite too. As we cut hundreds of cords in a month, we can be choosy about what we keep to split and sell. Only the best gets saved, the rest goes to the green waste dump.

I am going to try and talk my buddy into taking the splitter back and getting one with a better design.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Splitting with a tire isn't exactly a new idear...

Nokians work best...

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A 28in Fiskars splitting maul is all I need. I just roll the rounds off of the trailer and have at it for 30-40 min at a time. Trying to split all day is where people screw up. You wouldn't go into a gym and workout all day, and that is basically the same thing.

Smaller limbs get stacked inside of a tire place to top of a big round. That prevents chasing the wood and bending over repeatedly.

If I run into a bunch of wood (for free) that I can't split with the maul I'll rent a splitter. A small one is so pathetically slow it isn't worth the bother, IMO.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In the outside boiler 4, 6, 8, 10 inch rounds don't need splitting. I leave the 12, to 18 inch round stuff unsplit too, but I have to shorten the 30 inch length. Putting my wood in now because the woods are too wet too work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
damn I need to design an axe... /

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
B
Originally Posted by whelenndealin

For 28,000 or 32,000 ish depending on the model you can have on of those. Bobcat sold separately.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
made to sell to city boys that split like a wheel borrow full a year I wantto see a video of someone spliting hedge like that

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I have some good sized live oak logs with knots that would have him cussing in Texan in no time.

He'd be calling the propane truck before he was done.

Thought the exact same thought regarding our live oak here in SW GA...ain't happening no matter how twisted yer axe is!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,883
Posts18,518,231
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.