-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Er... Are you a RIFLE loonie or a CARTRIDGE loonie?
Seems like picking the cartridge then trying to find the rifle is backwards except in the case of the 300SAV where you picked the 99 already. Why not go forth and see what you can find in rifles in cartridges you want. OR you could even find the right rifle and rechamber. Or are you going to build from scratch anyway so then the cartridge comes first?
Anyway I would take any of your choices with the limitations you listed in a nice trim rifle, it would only depend on which rifle tickled my fancy.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
looks like the 7-08 is leading over the 7x57, 14 to 9 with all others a ways back.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Er... Are you a RIFLE loonie or a CARTRIDGE loonie?
Seems like picking the cartridge then trying to find the rifle is backwards except in the case of the 300SAV where you picked the 99 already. Why not go forth and see what you can find in rifles in cartridges you want. OR you could even find the right rifle and rechamber. Or are you going to build from scratch anyway so then the cartridge comes first?
Anyway I would take any of your choices with the limitations you listed in a nice trim rifle, it would only depend on which rifle tickled my fancy.

Excellent post. I am a rifle loonie, looking for a cartridge I do not currently have a rifle chambered in, to justify (in my feeble little mind) the purchase of another rifle. I think that's the backward thinking to explain the backwards approach...I think. confused

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57

There the 7x57 is winning now. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57

There the 7x57 is winning now. wink

And I should call an end to the voting!

Nah. I'm a man of my word. I will see if the thread is still alive tomorrow evening. If the 7-08 retains a healthy lead, that is the rifle chambering I buy... Maybe a Weatherby S2 sporter or another Featherweight. Maybe a Model 7 CDL.

Then I will probably need another excuse in a month or six. A 7x57 will be the choice with no voting. wink The Rev's suggestion of a MS has me thinking.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
smile Gotcha. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Hey D N..... IF you insist I have a 700 dbm mtn on wood you might pry from my warm live fingers...... 7-08... it's a sweetie but not very romantic

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
I'm going to buy another rifle to hunt with this Fall ( I certainly don't need one, but you know how that goes). I have a few chamberings not currently in the safe, and I can't make up my mind which to add, so I figured who better to make up my mind for me than a bunch of rifle loonies sitting around the Fire? I most commonly hunt varmints, deer and Black bear, but also hogs, exotics, and an occasional foray for an elk (probably will take a 270 or 06). Deer being what I hunt the most.

I have reloaded for close to 20 years and I use a chronograph, so loading for older cartridges that are not commonly listed in manuals is not a huge hurdle. With all that said, here is the list I am trying to choose from. The one most recommended in this thread is the chambering I will purchase a rifle for and use, at least on a few hunts, this Fall:

7mm Mauser (7x57)
6.5 Swede
6.5 Creedmoor (I have a 260 rem)
250 Savage (careful with elk)
257 Bob (should have kept my last one) and (careful with elk)
7mm-08 (never owned one)
300 savage (gotta be a 99?)

What say ye?

Given that you have a 270, a 30/06,and a 260 already,you really don't need any of them smile

But since we are playing with wish lists, I would go with the 257 Roberts.

The 7mm's listed will be so similar to the 270 and the 260,you will never tell the difference.

A squib load in the 30/06 will do whatever you need from a 300 Savage.

The 260 will do what a Roberts will do and gives you the short action, high BC bullet case that seems popular today.

But the Roberts uses somewhat lighter bullets,works like a charm on varmints, and swats deer/ antelope sized game easily to 400 yards, as far as I have used it.And burns modest amounts of powder and long barrel life.

If you ever find it lacking you have the 260, 270, and 30/06 to choose from.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'm going to buy another rifle to hunt with this Fall ( I certainly don't need one, but you know how that goes). I have a few chamberings not currently in the safe, and I can't make up my mind which to add, so I figured who better to make up my mind for me than a bunch of rifle loonies sitting around the Fire? I most commonly hunt varmints, deer and Black bear, but also hogs, exotics, and an occasional foray for an elk (probably will take a 270 or 06). Deer being what I hunt the most.

I have reloaded for close to 20 years and I use a chronograph, so loading for older cartridges that are not commonly listed in manuals is not a huge hurdle. With all that said, here is the list I am trying to choose from. The one most recommended in this thread is the chambering I will purchase a rifle for and use, at least on a few hunts, this Fall:

7mm Mauser (7x57)
6.5 Swede
6.5 Creedmoor (I have a 260 rem)
250 Savage (careful with elk)
257 Bob (should have kept my last one) and (careful with elk)
7mm-08 (never owned one)
300 savage (gotta be a 99?)

What say ye?

Given that you have a 270, a 30/06,and a 260 already,you really don't need any of them smile

But since we are playing with wish lists, I would go with the 257 Roberts.

The 7mm's listed will be so similar to the 270 and the 260,you will never tell the difference.

A squib load in the 30/06 will do whatever you need from a 300 Savage.

The 260 will do what a Roberts will do and gives you the short action, high BC bullet case that seems popular today.

But the Roberts uses somewhat lighter bullets,works like a charm on varmints, and swats deer/ antelope sized game easily to 400 yards, as far as I have used it.And burns modest amounts of powder and long barrel life.

If you ever find it lacking you have the 260, 270, and 30/06 to choose from.

Good Gravy man, what has NEED got to do with buying guns???? What a buzz kill! Holy moly, more guys like that will ruin the whole danged economy!!! Keep America green, spend money! The more loonies around the fire the bigger the fire... I like warm.

Last edited by Old_Doe_Shooter; 04/24/14.

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm currently working up loads for a newly acquired CZ 550 FS in 7x57. So, I'd lean that way.

I just posted this on high velocity 7x57 loads in a strong action.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8807903/7x57_velocities#Post8807903

DF

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
1deernut
Rather than decide a cartridge and then go buy a rifle, what I would do is prowl the used gun stores in your area looking for something unique, like an old Remington model 141 or a Marlin lever action or a Savage 99 or a bunch of other interesting combinations.
To go buy another new rifle that overlaps what you already have is not going to buy you as much novelty.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Savage 99 chambered in 7-08, with a Leupold FX-II 2.5x20.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter

Good Gravy man, what has NEED got to do with buying guns???? What a buzz kill! Holy moly, more guys like that will ruin the whole danged economy!!! Keep America green, spend money! The more loonies around the fire the bigger the fire... I like warm.

Old Doe: Excess rifles, hanging around,drives me nuts. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter
Hey D N..... IF you insist I have a 700 dbm mtn on wood you might pry from my warm live fingers...... 7-08... it's a sweetie but not very romantic

I will count that as a vote for the 7-08. grin.

I'm not super fond of the DBMs. I have one in Remington as well as a Tikka and a couple of Savages. I don't see them as an issue, but tend to prefer blind boxes or floor plates. With that said, I could be persuaded for the right deal. PM me if you like, and thanks!

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Royce
1deernut
Rather than decide a cartridge and then go buy a rifle, what I would do is prowl the used gun stores in your area looking for something unique, like an old Remington model 141 or a Marlin lever action or a Savage 99 or a bunch of other interesting combinations.
To go buy another new rifle that overlaps what you already have is not going to buy you as much novelty.

I have to agree. I do, dearly love bolts. I would consider something else, however. A 141 in 35 Rem would be sweet.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Then I will probably need another excuse in a month or six. A 7x57 will be the choice with no voting. wink The Rev's suggestion of a MS has me thinking.

You know, this might be a bit of fun if you want something short and quick.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=412014558

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One more vote for the 7-08

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by bobnob17
I'm gonna raise howls of derision, but to me the Savage Model 99 is the UGLIEST rifle ever, with the possible exception of the Ruger Gunsite...
sick

bobnob17's picture:
[Linked Image]

grin

Why, my mum says that I am actually quite handsome!
wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
7-08 is one I personally want to try out. Saw a Marlin XS7 in my local pawn shop several days ago that tempted me, but I had just sent in all my money to the IRS!!!

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RevMike

You know, this might be a bit of fun if you want something short and quick.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=412014558

Dadgummit Rev. I have to buy a 7mm-08 first it would appear. Can you float me loan for week 'er two?

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 02bfishn, 1minute, 64 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.