Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Why the heck does the Campfire care about Alpine climbing?

laffin'

Climbing Everest is far from 'Alpine climbing'.

Well, there's about a couple handful of folks that have done Everest in Alpine style. May be more now, but I've not really followed climbing for about a decade.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Why the heck does the Campfire care about Alpine climbing?

laffin'

Climbing Everest is far from 'Alpine climbing'.

Well, there's about a couple handful of folks that have done Everest in Alpine style. May be more now, but I've not really followed climbing for about a decade.

Very doggone few, especially compared to the numbers of people who have attempted it...and the numbers of people who have been successful. Alpinists don't use sherpas, fixed ropes, or bottled oxygen...and they don't have a line of fixed camps (stocked) along the way. It's completely self-sufficient. That's WAY different from the 'expedition' style of climbing that is overwhelmingly done on Everest these days.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, I think you have got to be about half crazy to desire to do that climb.

*Master of random precision*
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Why, you don't think it's appropriate?

I do think it's appropriate. Which gets back to why would you start it in the first place.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just who was it that made the Sherpas climb? Seems they had a choice and knew what the going rate was.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Doesn't seem all too different that what those of us see when we hunt Africa.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

Why, you don't think it's appropriate?

I do think it's appropriate. Which gets back to why would you start it in the first place.

Jesus. Why does anybody start a thread in this forum? Are you serious?

Don't ask again.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seriously. Your first post reeked of righteous indignation, then you mocked it.

So yeah, I asked why you would start it in the first place.

Seems juvenile.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Seems juvenile.

I thought the entire purpose of the Hunter's Campfire was to be juvenile?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sorry, of course you're right.

So this was awesome.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't get the article to pull up yet.
Fort Worth Star Telegram. Today

Big part of the Sherpas say they are not climbing this year and are heading off the mountain.
Still 3 bodies missing under the snow, they said they would not walk on their friends under the snow.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Isn't Weathers the guy who was left sitting on a snow bank for hours because everybody who looked at him was certain he was already dead?

Yes,

His brother is a dentist in the ATL area. Beck is a pathologist in Dallas.

On the climb, he had problems with the intense UV exposure at that altitude because he had done RK on his eyes years before. Blinded, his guide left him to help some others and never came back to get him. Beck overnighted in the open, passed out from hypothermia, then awoke and found the strength to stumble down back into camp. His mates were sure he was going to die, so they made him comfortable in a tent and left him. Next day, he wasn't dead! He was airlifted off of the mountain and survived. From that, I lost any appetite to climb tall, cold mountains with or without Sherpas.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How much do you tip a sherpa?

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Supply and demand will fix . The sherpas hold the winning hand they just need to up their daily rates 10x normal. Make the teams buy them a heavy duty life insurance policy and they in turn would have to make that many less dangerous climbs bailing out these ungrateful nature lovers .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Seems juvenile.

I thought the entire purpose of the Hunter's Campfire was to be juvenile?

Travis

8th graders always have the best righteous indignation

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There is probably a load of youngster who have done nothing but dream of carrying sh1t up a mountain that will gladly step in and take over when the sherpas strike. I do think the climbing companies should pony up some money- at least they would look better to the Nepalese!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Personally I think they should shut down the whole mountain. At least until the climbing companies go up there and cart down all of their darn garbage. Shameful the trash they've left up there.

Ya, actual piles of frozen sh$t at base camp the way I read it.

With respect to the money situation my first guess is the Nepalese government is screwing the deal with the Sherpas
by coming between the Sherpas and the employers.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari

Isn't Weathers the guy who was left sitting on a snow bank for hours because everybody who looked at him was certain he was already dead?

Yes,

His brother is a dentist in the ATL area. Beck is a pathologist in Dallas.

On the climb, he had problems with the intense UV exposure at that altitude because he had done RK on his eyes years before. Blinded, his guide left him to help some others and never came back to get him. Beck overnighted in the open, passed out from hypothermia, then awoke and found the strength to stumble down back into camp. His mates were sure he was going to die, so they made him comfortable in a tent and left him. Next day, he wasn't dead! He was airlifted off of the mountain and survived. From that, I lost any appetite to climb tall, cold mountains with or without Sherpas.

If I remember correctly, didn't a Nepalese army officer set a record for the highest assent in a helicopter to get him out?

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ehh. what the hell else they going to do? what with their brown leathery skin, squinted eyes, stubby sausage fingers and giant lungs. walmart greeter? i don't think so.

get back to work sherpa's or we're bringing in the mezzicans.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Personally I think they should shut down the whole mountain. At least until the climbing companies go up there and cart down all of their darn garbage. Shameful the trash they've left up there.

Ya, actual piles of frozen sh$t at base camp the way I read it.

With respect to the money situation my first guess is the Nepalese government is screwing the deal with the Sherpas
by coming between the Sherpas and the employers.

Birdwatcher

Well the last thing I"d be worried about among trash and O2 bottles and such, is something actually thats natural and biodegradable.

Of course from our point of view they should get more. But then I"d assume they are getting more already than they should be by farming or such. And that they choose to do this, not forced labor so to speak.

But then if they were even given say 100,000 life insurance policy for them, would that not possibly equate to a million or more for one of us? Point being whats the cost of living there and if you pay them more, what would they do with it?

Certainly I"d hope they make more than other jobs. Just like miners should make a bit more than farmers due to the inherent risk... but they probably already are.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (280Ackleyrized, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 3040Krag, 1936M71, 44 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,046
Posts18,521,156
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.