Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Uriah
Your question is based on a flawed premise; no one "owns" the political process.

The only way to allow speech to flourish is to allow it to be free. Allowing someone to control who gets to say what is dictatorial.
Obviously I disagree.

Let's say you and I disagree on murder; I'm for it, you're against it. And whether or not it becomes legal depends on who has the most money. I'm a corporation and you're an individual. Who do you think will prevail?

My bet is, you won't directly answer the question.

Another false premise. When did you get to determine that "whether or not it becomes legal depends on who has the most money?"

What's the point of a ballot box wherein the citizens get to vote in secret?

You live in your own world.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
So, again, which corporations would be restricted, and why? How and why would those distinctions be made, and by whom?
At this point all I'm trying to do is to see if anyone can even recognize that there exists a serious problem. I'm not a lawyer and I haven't investigated the specific nuts and bolts.

But like anything else, the fist step is admitting you have a problem.

Apparently people here don't see a problem and are just fine with giving up the political process to one sector...that just baffles me, but whatever.

It's not about giving it to one sector. It's about honoring the Constitution and not closing any sector from engaging in free speech, free assembly, and the right to petition the government.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your question is based on a flawed premise; no one "owns" the political process.

The only way to allow speech to flourish is to allow it to be free. Allowing someone to control who gets to say what is dictatorial.
What you don't get is exactly that system you say is dictatorial is present now...it's just not instantly dictatorial.

If one side has all the money to make all the laws, how is that a flourishing free speech.

And this is all about money.

There are individuals, and a lot of them, that could be king makers (Bloomberg, Gates, Koch, Buffett, etc.). If it's a money issue, you can't restrict based upon wealth. You can't restrict upon wealth within corporations, either.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

What you don't get is exactly that system you say is dictatorial is present now...it's just not instantly dictatorial.

If one side has all the money to make all the laws, how is that a flourishing free speech.

Bears repeating:

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another false premise. When did you get to determine that "whether or not it becomes legal depends on who has the most money?"

What's the point of a ballot box wherein the citizens get to vote in secret?

You live in your own world.
Clearly you're not interested in anything I have to say, because you're not comprehending anything I've said.

Corporations now have unlimited ability to fund political issues/causes/and candidates. If you can't do the mental experiment to see where that leads, I don't know what I have to work with here.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So, again, which corporations would be restricted, and why? How and why would those distinctions be made, and by whom?
At this point all I'm trying to do is to see if anyone can even recognize that there exists a serious problem. I'm not a lawyer and I haven't investigated the specific nuts and bolts.

Apparently people here don't see a problem and are just fine with giving up the political process to one sector...that just baffles me, but whatever.

It's not about giving it to one sector. It's about honoring the Constitution and not closing any sector from engaging in free speech, free assembly, and the right to petition the government.
Regardless of the cost?

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Clearly you're not interested in anything I have to say, because you're not comprehending anything I've said.

Corporations now have unlimited ability to fund political issues/causes/and candidates. If you can't do the mental experiment to see where that leads, I don't know what I have to work with here.

If you think it was that easy then why wouldn't, say, Coca-Cola simply use their "unlimited ability to fund political issues/causes/and candidates" to simply outlaw Pepsi?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

There are individuals, and a lot of them, that could be king makers (Bloomberg, Gates, Koch, Buffett, etc.). If it's a money issue, you can't restrict based upon wealth. You can't restrict upon wealth within corporations, either.
Same issue, just a different side of the coin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Same issue, just a different side of the coin.

Exactly, and exactly why what you propose fails under the Constitution and the concepts of freedom.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you think it was that easy then why wouldn't, say, Coca-Cola simply use their "unlimited ability to fund political issues/causes/and candidates" to simply outlaw Pepsi?
You really aren't capable of doing the thought experiment are you. Seriously, think for a minute and I'll bet you can answer your own question. And then realize what a ridiculous question that was.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Regardless of the cost?

The greater cost is the loss of freedom by restricting Constitutionally-protected and guaranteed rights.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
You really aren't capable of doing the thought experiment are you. Seriously, think for a minute and I'll bet you can answer your own question. And then realize what a ridiculous question that was.

You're really into the insults, aren't you Kevin? I directly answered your question in the prior post...it was based on a false premise, remember, Mr. Speech-control?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The greater cost is the loss of freedom by restricting Constitutionally-protected and guaranteed rights.
Here's the thing though; those limitations have always been in effect. Here's a fed example: http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/contriblimits.shtml

Each state has their own charts; google up your own state and see what comes up.

Those limits have been put in place to try to keep the political process as level as possible. A widely un-balanced political process means ruin and will lead to massive loss of freedoms.

Constitutional free speech is not unlimited; never has been, never will be.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's the thing though; those limitations have always been in effect. Here's a fed example: http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/contriblimits.shtml

Each state has their own charts; google up your own state and see what comes up.

Those limits have been put in place to try to keep the political process as level as possible. A widely un-balanced political process means ruin and will lead to massive loss of freedoms.

That's because it scares the Hell out of the gov't. Freedom and Liberty always do.

Those state restrictions will fall under Incorporation, as they should.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You're really into the insults, aren't you Kevin? I directly answered your question in the prior post...it was based on a false premise, remember, Mr. Speech-control?
My apologies, I have a raging headache...probably shouldn't be debating a deep subject with an ice pick in my head. My apologies, and thank you for calling me on that.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That's because it scares the Hell out of the gov't. Freedom and Liberty always do.

Those state restrictions will fall under Incorporation, as they should.
But on the political side, it's about balance. You seem to only want to think in absolutes; we don't really have that in government and really never have. Absolutes are for the Anarchist guys.

When something as important as our political process becomes clearly imbalanced, I don't see how you just ignore it because of principle. You said yesterday, you'll always find a way around. That's what un-principled people do (not saying you're unprincipled; I KNOW you are...you were just making a point).

So if unprincipled people are willing to side step our principles, if we simply stand on principle we will lose every time. When they usurp the system, you have to counter or it all comes crashing down. You will never write anything that is airtight, so you have to make adjustments.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, how do you draw the lines on a financial basis, which is at base your problem, and NOT exclude individuals of incredible wealth, and how do you include them without violating the 1st and 14th Amendments?

How do you restrict corporations of "means" without restricting the smallest community, sportmen's, conservation, etc., groups?

Simply put: you can't. That's why the First Amendment is there in the first place.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
GunGeek, I got my shot in there as well. I'm going to try to back out of this. (No guarantee, though. grin)

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Because you have the loudest voice, doesn't mean you're right. That's the situation; corporations have the loudest voice and are in a position to monopolize the entire political process.

Look at the melt down of 2008. When it all came down, Wall Street went to congress and even said, we have to be regulated. As soon as they got their trillion, they fought all regulation. They allowed Dodd-Frank to pass as a diversion; but it didn't correct ANY of the core issues that brought about a collapse. This is a sector that can literally bankrupt America, but they have the power to make sure nothing hinders them in any way. That's not in the best interest of anyone but Wall Street. But the current situation is such that they can just contribute to politicians as much as needed to get their way, or contribute to their opponents to push anyone who doesn't do their bidding out of office. How is this good for America? These ARE the un-principled, and they're running rough shod over all of America.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
GunGeek, I got my shot in there as well. I'm going to try to back out of this. (No guarantee, though. grin)
That made me smile; no hard feelings at all my friend. I truly enjoy political debate.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.