Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by dhg
If you hunt exclusively in North America, there is probably little reason to go reason to go to a 50mm objective. But there are good reasons why the rest of the world hunts with larger objectives.

OK, I'll bite. What are the good reasons hunters outside North America use 50 mm objectives, while they're not necessary for North America?

Because nobody else hunts/shoots with curfews - it is a bit of a North American oddity. In much of the rest of the world, a lot of hunting actually occurs outside of legal hunting hours in the USA and Canada - even in the middle of the night. This results in very different optics in the rest of the world - not just with respect to larger objectives, but also lens coatings that favour low light performance. It is probably THE major reason why European optics are so different to American, but is frequently overlooked.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I never owned a 50mm objective scope until a couple of years ago (Zeiss Diavari and a Conquest). I always thought they were a little bulky and really did not add anything meaningful (exit pupil) as far as shooting light was concerned, but now I kinda like em. Don't know if it's my older eyes or what. I do a lot of hunting from treestands and tower stands, so toting a few extra ounces is not an issue.

How about you?

I have a 4-16x50mm that's been on a couple of rifles. It works just fine and I have no issues with it. The technical answers have all been given - stock configuration, hunting at night, medical issues. I don't see why people think that they are silly, useless or unnecessary. Whatever works, right? It's a personal choice.

Ths isn't directed at you Sakoluvr, but for some of the others: Why would you call someone down just because they use a 50mm scope? Especially when you don't know the circumstances? There are European hunters that would take issue with a fixed 4 or a small 32/40mm lense. If it feels good, do it.

De gustibus non disputandum.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dhg
Originally Posted by dhg
If you hunt exclusively in North America, there is probably little reason to go reason to go to a 50mm objective. But there are good reasons why the rest of the world hunts with larger objectives.

OK, I'll bite. What are the good reasons hunters outside North America use 50 mm objectives, while they're not necessary for North America?

Because nobody else hunts/shoots with curfews - it is a bit of a North American oddity. In much of the rest of the world, a lot of hunting actually occurs outside of legal hunting hours in the USA and Canada - even in the middle of the night. This results in very different optics in the rest of the world - not just with respect to larger objectives, but also lens coatings that favour low light performance. It is probably THE major reason why European optics are so different to American, but is frequently overlooked.

So a 50 mm "gathers more light" than say, a 42 mm?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm familiar with exit pupil. When it's greater than the size of the pupil, then it's of no further benefit. And a 42 mm objective at 6X gives the same as a 50 mm at 7X.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. Hence my original statement, but I am now starting to like them just the same.

I never owned a 50mm objective scope until a couple of years ago (Zeiss Diavari and a Conquest). I always thought they were a little bulky and really did not add anything meaningful (exit pupil) as far as shooting light was concerned, but now I kinda like em. Don't know if it's my older eyes or what. I do a lot of hunting from treestands and tower stands, so toting a few extra ounces is not an issue.

How about you?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

There are just too many such doofusses in the woods around here. I wish resident hunting licences cost $300. It would thin out some of the doofusses.

BR:

I don't disagree about slob hunters. But I'm not sure increasing the cost of entry is the right solution. (There are a lot of wealthy duffesses grin)

And as a rule, I don't think taking actions that would decrease the number of hunters would be a good thing.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'll shut up now.

Yeah, there's a LOT of frustration and a couple IPAs mixed into my statement. I just wish there were not as many hunters in my neck of the woods. It seems like EVERYBODY hunts, and all their relatives. In the past, it was not a big deal if I wandered across a property line a little bit during a hunt, and permission was easy to obtain. Today you better watch your back if you wander across a line, and have a good lawyer. And when I ask a landowner for permission to hunt, they either laugh at me or get angry and insist I leave. State land open to public hunting is a friggin' war zone! I hate a lot of what hunting has become in my neighborhood.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Yep. Hence my original statement, but I am now starting to like them just the same.

I don't have anything against them, it just seems that exit pupil would not be a real reason to buy one vs. a 42 or 40.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I don't care for the 50 mm lens, it's bigger than needed and seems worse about banging the scope into other objects. It is more surface to worry about keeping dry and clean.

Also, I have seen wildlife specials on the public channel and critters seem very curious about the camera lens, I think close up critters are more likely to notice a large scope lens.

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dhg
Originally Posted by dhg

So a 50 mm "gathers more light" than say, a 42 mm?

I think the correct answer to why larger objectives provide superior low light performance is that they allow you to use magnification to increase twilight factor to improve low light performance whilst maintaining optimal exit pupil.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Twilight factor is not something I'm familiar with, does it really make a difference?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by OceanBlue
I don't care for the 50 mm lens, it's bigger than needed and seems worse about banging the scope into other objects. It is more surface to worry about keeping dry and clean.

Also, I have seen wildlife specials on the public channel and critters seem very curious about the camera lens, I think close up critters are more likely to notice a large scope lens.

Actually, that sounds more like it's bigger than what you like. You are worried that it might bang into things. You are concerned about it remaining clean and dry. Many hunters in the rest of the world don't see big scopes the same way that you do.

That would go for many of the others who have posted as well.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have all 40mm and 42mm scopes except for a special purpose 56mm NF that isn't paired with a rifle I'd be likely to tote anywhere but from the truck to the bench... It is kinda nice when you wanna reach out there though. wink

I don't care for the 50's. There's just no real world need for one on a hunting rifle that I know of. Lens coatings are far more important for getting light delivered to the retina.

That huge lens is a dead giveaway to a wary buck as well... Just too many negatives and no positives... Two thumbs down to the 50mm on a hunting rifle.

Bob

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a custom Sako .35 Whelen that used to wear a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. The scope gad really long eye relief and could not be fitted in Sako rings far enough forward for proper full field use. I liked everything else about the scope, and then noticed that their 3-9x50 model had a 1" shorter eye relief. Tried one and it fit perfectly.
Most of my elk are killed within a few minutes of legal shooting light and I don't need to lug my rifle very far on my hunts. The 50MM objective seems just slightly brighter than the 40MM to my eyes. I'm really happy with it!

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

298 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.