Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So have we heard back from UPHunter on what he has done?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by AMRA
American Rifleman has a Write up on a ASCENT in the latest issue.

Yes, how 'bout that stellar accuracy report. Only 2K for a SOLID 2 MOA rifle. PT Barnum was right....

You surely read the potential reasons behind that 2 MOA accuracy, right?!?!? I know they don't support your crusade against Kimber, but telling half the story isn't really the right way to go about making your point.

Kimber groupies always have a "reason".....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've posted this pic here before, But I wonder how a budget-minded guy can rationalize spending anything more in a superlight RH rifle--and aside from a lw TG, Ti bolt knob, and brake (it's wife's gun) it's a turn key Montana .308.
A $1K bugholer as it sits.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No, it is a 3-24 FFP scope with illuminated reticle. Has a 42mm O.L. though. Not sure the exact model number

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
He fell in love with the dorky camo...

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I can't think of another reason than that either....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by broomd
I've posted this pic here before, But I wonder how a budget-minded guy can rationalize spending anything more in a superlight RH rifle--and aside from a lw TG, Ti bolt knob, and brake (it's wife's gun) it's a turn key Montana .308.
A $1K bugholer as it sits.

[Linked Image]

Since the brake, and possibly shortening of the barrel is in the equation, can you tell me exactly how much weight the TG and Ti bolt handle saved? I would also like to know who did the brake and if it was a production unit please?

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 04/25/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought this gun here a couple of years ago from smalljawbasser, I never did ask him if the brake was from Kimber or not. It looks like a factory setup.

Also appears that the barrel wasn't shortened at all, rather just the crown was threaded.
Gun weighed 5lbs 1.5 ounces before t/g and Ti bolt handle...so about 3oz were saved.
Balance is quite good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by AMRA
American Rifleman has a Write up on a ASCENT in the latest issue.

Yes, how 'bout that stellar accuracy report. Only 2K for a SOLID 2 MOA rifle. PT Barnum was right....

You surely read the potential reasons behind that 2 MOA accuracy, right?!?!? I know they don't support your crusade against Kimber, but telling half the story isn't really the right way to go about making your point.

Kimber groupies always have a "reason".....

You must love just making things up. Show me at any time when I have been in the Kimber fan club. I don't own a single Montana/Mountain Ascent and have no reason to pull for them. Just tired of seeing you whine constantly and tell half-truths to "support" your crusade.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Dip job would have kept a few Franklins in his wallet. laugh

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I've no dog in this hunt, but after seeing the comments here I re-read the article about the Kimber Ascent in the Rifleman

The first time I read it, I skipped over the accuracy column and simply read the GLOWING report. And, of course, the Ascent was on the cover of the mag with another glowing comment.

How the author could make such comments after the horrible accuracy showing is beyond me. I've done a tad of scribbling and can honestly say I've never done anything like that.

The one poster was on-target; why would anyone pay two thousand dollars for a 2MOA rifle?

kd

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Keep in mind that American Rifleman's accuracy test is much more stringent than the cherry picking of a single 3 shot group that so often goes on in Internet Land.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UPhunter

I already own a Browning TI in 300wsm. 5lbs 8oz. I have taken elk and mule deer with this gun. Great gun, but overkill.

I just skimmed thru the 14 pages... but it seems like you've already got the "lightweight rifle" thing covered.

I'm with Brad on the regular Montana in 308/7-08 being on the ragged edge for carry weight-vs-recoil. I shoot 120gr bullets in my 7-08 Montana and the recoil is fine but I honestly don't want more. I've debated going to a heavier bullet, but for ~500y shooting there isn't a whole lot to be gained for what I'm looking for... except more recoil. The 84M isn't impossible to shoot, but I think one needs to spend time with it to stay proficient. And not from a concrete bench or off the hood of the truck grin

The next closest rifle I had to the 7-08 was a T3 Lite in 270 Win. Compared to the Montana, it got obnoxious after less than 10 rounds from prone. And I consider myself a reformed recoil junky.

My 7-08 has a 6x42 on it, and I've considered a slightly heavier scope for a few reasons and wouldn't mind the extra weight for the reasons Brad stated earlier.

Jason

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Keep in mind that American Rifleman's accuracy test is much more stringent than the cherry picking of a single 3 shot group that so often goes on in Internet Land.

Prairie Goat,

Several years ago, I was given the task of shooting a (Famous Brand) .416 Rigby rifle for 100-rounds. The idea was to see if everything was just fine and dandy before they sent it off to the American Rifleman.

By the end of the 100-rounds, the three-blade standing rib rear sight was off (it was attached by ONE 6X48 screw), the floorplace would no longer hold closed, the front sight ramp was also off (again, one 6X48 screw) and there was a crack behind the tang.

I wrote up my findings and gave the rifle back to the manufacturer.

They told me that they'd patch it up and send it to the NRA ... No problem, they like pretty rifles and never shoot the rifles.

I thought it was funnier than Hell when Finn Aagaard found that the standing rib rear sight went flying off of the rifle upon firing ... and the front sight flew off, as well ... and the hinged floorplate was dangling.

The Darwin Hensley stock was really pretty in the photos. Too bad the metal part wasn't worth a $hit.

It just might have been a smart thing for them to have used a couple of screws on both the front and rear sights, maybe even BIG ones grin

I love an honest test and I believe that most serious hunters do, as well.

kd

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am going to mount a scope on one in a few minutes and hopefully we can take it out and break it!

Carried a Tikka T3 past two days in some nasty rough country. Only thing that doesn't hold up are the Butler Creek scope covers. I have NEVER made it back to the truck with both covers still intact, NEVER.

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I will say this, once I mounted the Talley lightweight rings with the rifle clamped in the vice, I found that both rings were exactly level at the same time, something I haven't seen in a long time! The machining on this action was well executed. Normally, I can level one ring half (for leveling the reticle) but not both so some type of compromise is necessary.

NRA Benefactor Member

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am going to mount a scope on one in a few minutes and hopefully we can take it out and break it!

Carried a Tikka T3 past two days in some nasty rough country. Only thing that doesn't hold up are the Butler Creek scope covers. I have NEVER made it back to the truck with both covers still intact, NEVER.

What is happening to the BC covers that continue to fail you? I have had great success with all mine.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
They get ripped off by the brush, never to be seen again. I won't own them.

Going through this stuff

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dennisinaz; 04/29/14. Reason: photo added

NRA Benefactor Member

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I wish they'd offer "no muzzle brake" as an option.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I wish they'd offer "no muzzle brake" as an option.

How would that be a lot different than just replacing the MB with the thread protector?

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 117LBS, 12344mag, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,971
Posts18,499,323
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.