-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I won't shoot something unless I'm going to use it and come November I'll be in the Adirondacks, about 15 miles from the nearest civilization so bears feeding on garbage should not be a problem. Just want some opinions, is the stuff as good or bad as I've heard?
<br>
<br>
<br>Thanks, Rob

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It really depends on what they've been eating. Garbage is bad, berries are good!
<br>
<br>When they've been eating alot of fish it's maybe not so good.
<br>
<br>But generally bear meat is prety good, and there are alot of ways to prepare it to make it more palatable if you get a "gamey" one.
<br>
<br>You can process it into sausage and pepperoni.
<br>
<br>Marinating it with lots of garlic and some chilies will cover ant wild taste. Grinding it up and using it for bolognese sauce with lots of seasonings.
<br>
<br>Trimming is probably the most important thing. Bear sinew, silver skin, and gristle is NOT good. The fat is okay if rendered into lard, but it's not something you want to eat attached to your steak, so trim that off, too.
<br>
<br>Obviously, the young small ones are going to be tender and mild compared to the old boars, but who wants a bear skin rug the size of a german shepard?
<br>
<br>Bottom line? It's usually quite good if you prepare it properly, but you can't tell what it tastes like until AFTER you're finished shooting! [Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had 4 and only the last one was questionable. You'll know as soon as you lay the skinning knife to it. Odor says all. Even my last bear, which had a distinct fishy odor (but not over"bear"ing) was fine. The smell disappeared with the grease when you cooked up the bear burgers and the sausage will disguise just about anything. I've cut up the steaks for stew and chili and it's fantastic.
<br>
<br>The "good" bears are tough to beat. My wife is MUCH pickier than I am and fresh bear backstrap is her favorite meat. I've noticed from my limited experience though that you want to consume as much as possible in the first 6 months. After that it starts going down hill.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I will echo what Gatehouse and Muley said, mine have all been good.
<br>Even guys at work that never hunted liked it.
<br>

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Recoilrob, you ask "IS BLACK BEAR EDIBLE?" Does a bear s%@t in the woods man. Darn tooten black bear is mighty fine eats, just don't shoot one that is eating fish or garbage. Bear especially young bear is mighty fine. The bruin is a lot like pig in taste and should be treated the same. As already posted precausions must be taken and you will enjoy the fruits of your labors. I like my bears to come from the high blueberry fields up in the foot hills of the Olympic Mountains. These are a little lean but very tasty, when they get down to the lowlands they are into skunk cabbage then salmon. I leave them be then. The finest sausage is made from bear.
<br>yeah they are edible...why do you ask?[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You bet black bear is edible! I�ve eaten a bunch of it, but I�m real picky about where I kill a bear for the table. Best I�ve had are apple fed bear, raiding an orchard. If I can�t find one there, I�ll head for the oak groves or berry patches. Bear like acorns in the fall to put on fat, and an acorn fed bear is good. Trim off all fat before cooking, but save it and render it out for the lard. Great for making pie crusts and other pastries.
<br>
<br>As already said, stay away from garbage dumps and salmon streams; especially where the bear are eating dead and decomposing fish.
<br>
<br>In my opinion, steak is about the worst way to prepare bear meat. Roasts and stews are the ticket. I�ve had sausage both plain and mixed with pork. Both were good. One of the best taste treats I�ve had was commercially prepared salami. I have no idea what proportions of bear meat and pork went into the mix, but it was sure nuff good!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just be sure you cook it completely as trichinosis can be a problem especially, it seems, with sausage but the sausage can be great.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bear frozen at 0 for 2 weeks is 100% effective at killing Trichanella spiralis, colder temps kill them quicker, and -40 only requires 48hours.
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 222ND, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,799
Posts18,516,200
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.