Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by jarhead88
I'm between the Remmington 700 and the Savage (probably 116 trophy hunter XP)

folks seem to forget that you said this.

i own both salvages and remingtons. if i was down to one, like what you're describing, i'd pick the 700. if i was you, id compare a CDL and SPS in person and see which you prefer.

p.s. i havent had any issues with the "new" remington 700's, although you should definitely consider a used one in good shape.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
HR IC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
I'm between the Remmington 700 and the Savage (probably 116 trophy hunter XP)

folks seem to forget that you said this.

i own both salvages and remingtons. if i was down to one, like what you're describing, i'd pick the 700. if i was you, id compare a CDL and SPS in person and see which you prefer.

p.s. i havent had any issues with the "new" remington 700's, although you should definitely consider a used one in good shape.

And some probably think that anyone choosing between those two need all the help they can get. (twisted-smiley-winky-thingy)

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
nothing against remington just seams to me that rem. always have a recall on something or other. i went though this some years ago but wanted .25 cal. did a lot of looking and ended up with a used custom 03A3 in 30-06 that fits like a glove. i would say do some looking around, then go with what you like best without regard to brand.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm set on getting a bolt action, chambering 30 06. I have read a lot and have talked with friends and I'm between the Remmington 700 and the Savage (probably 116 trophy hunter XP)

I'm thinking stainless steel barrel..... and 30 06 because of round choices/variety.

Not sure synthetic or wood stock.. (like the wood look/feel but not set on either)

please give me some feedback on both. what is the pros/cons of both..

thanks for the help

I'd get the Remington. And a synthetic stock and float the barrel and glass bed it.

I'd also put it into a McMillan, but I don't know if that's in your price range or not.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Pick up a good used Remington. Plain vanilla 30-06's are in every pawn shop this time of year, and with deer season months away, you can snag one for around $400-450 easily.

You can always re-stock it, ceracoat, and upgrade the crap out of it as time and money allows. They are just so much more asthetically pleasing than a Savage, and 9 times out of 10, they shoot well.

Good luck!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still...think about a Tikka. I kept reading about Tikka this and Tikka that and how smooth and accurate they were. So finally I got one. Wow! Did I mention how smooth the action is and how accurate they are? Maybe I did.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for all the advice.. It looks like most like the Remmington and a lot have advised on the Tikka too..

Question: a lot mentioned going used (which I have/am looking at) is it because I can pick up something good for less or is it that the older models are more solid?
How is that new X mark pro trigger?

I am going to another gun store soon, keep you posted

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Both.

Lots of guys prefer the older Remington actions, and of course used is typically a money saver when looking for a donor action.

However; I haven't seen a newer Remington that won't shoot. But apparently many have.

There is no [bleep] way on this earth I would give $6-700 for a Tikka.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka's have a loyal following, but they feel like a damn kids toy to me. The action, bolt and everything else feels like it is going to break off just playing with it. They don't look like a rifle should to me either, but that stuff is all cosmetic and subjective.

The Savage's are butt ass ugly and bulky. Both savages and tikkas are supposed to be very accurate and reliable though, and that's what matters.

I've never had a bad Rem 700, but that's just me.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jarhead,
Going used is usually cheaper and especially in M700 30-06 there are tons of them around. The older ones are well made (don't have experience with anything recent). The downside is you may get somebody's lemon but that is pretty unlikely as most of them shoot well and they are easy to accurize if they need any tweaking at all.
I have one that has been "breathed on" that has been my right arm (pun intended) for 25 years.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hate to muddy the waters for you but I'd consider a Ruger MKII or Hawkeye in stainless/synthetic. I'd not go tang though.

I've had a few Salvages and none were the best feeders. Others have commented on the same. Ugly as sin, but pretty dang tough to beat for gas venting.

I've had 5 of the Finnish T3 Tikklers too. Great rifle if they suit your style/tastes but I don't plan on owning another.

Jason

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Alex38
I'd also add the Weatherby Vanguard S2 Stainless to the mix. They're a darn nice rifle for the money.

I would agree with that. I have one in stainless .30-06 that I am looking forward to shooting this spring

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave

There is no [bleep] way on this earth I would give $6-700 for a Tikka.

Travis

Exactly!! When they were at entry level prices I wouldn't give it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Tikka's have a loyal following, but they feel like a damn kids toy to me. The action, bolt and everything else feels like it is going to break off just playing with it. They don't look like a rifle should to me either, but that stuff is all cosmetic and subjective.

The Savage's are butt ass ugly and bulky. Both savages and tikkas are supposed to be very accurate and reliable though, and that's what matters.

My Tikka looks OK. I bedded it into a B&C Medalist. Never touched anything else. It shoots as well as any box stock rifle I've ever owned.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter

My butt ass ugly Savage 10 shot this group today (I have to agree-- these plastic-stocked Savages are seriously ugly).

[Linked Image]

Figured this this will be my hunting load:
[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm set on getting a bolt action, chambering 30 06. I have read a lot and have talked with friends and I'm between the Remmington 700 and the Savage (probably 116 trophy hunter XP)

I'm thinking stainless steel barrel..... and 30 06 because of round choices/variety.

Not sure synthetic or wood stock.. (like the wood look/feel but not set on either)

please give me some feedback on both. what is the pros/cons of both..

thanks for the help

I'd get the Remington. And a synthetic stock and float the barrel and glass bed it.

I'd also put it into a McMillan, but I don't know if that's in your price range or not.

Travis

Or you could do what Travis said. I'm not much on new Remmys but I have owned a bunch of older ones. I had an old wood ADL in 270 that shot the best of any box stock rifle I've ever owned. This one is a 700SS in 30-06. Exactly as Travis suggest, only in an HSP stock.
[Linked Image]
It shoots purdy good.
[Linked Image]

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have moved away from 700s but some folks like Fords and others drive Chevys. I'd pick the Savage out of your two but for a shooter out of the box with zero mods I'd look at a Tikka.

My personal likes drift to M70 Winchesters and M77 Rugers but the Weatherby Vanguard S2 is a good value as are the Ruger American model and Marlin XL7.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[Linked Image]
Have you considered a Winchester?
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would MUCH rather buy a Tikka than a Remington. Too much variability in Remington bolt guns. I have had too many Remington bolt guns that would not feed at all. Not in the market for another. Better odds at Kimber roulette than Remington roulette.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gregintenn,

Nice Featherweight. Chambering?

I have a 2008 Limited Edition in 270 Win.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 34 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,614
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.