Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tim Cox fan here as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a fan of Frank Frazetta from the time I got my first Molly Hatchet album. Of course he painted many more fantasy/scifi based pictures, but the MH album covers is probably what he's most widely known for.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like Van Gogh's "Wheatfield with crows" (1890).

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EricM

Boy Howdy!. Vincent is the man.

[Linked Image]
The Execution of Lady Jane Grey, 1833 . . (Paul Delaroche)

[Linked Image]
Self-Portrait with Death Playing the Fiddle, 1872 . . (Arnold Bocklin)

[Linked Image]
Villa by the Sea, 1865 . . (Arnold Bocklin)

[Linked Image]
Isle of the Dead, 1886 . . (Arnold Bocklin)

[Linked Image]
War, 1896 . . (Arnold Bocklin)

[Linked Image]
The Plague, 1898 . . (Arnold Bocklin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Walker

[Linked Image]
The Execution of Lady Jane Grey, 1833 . . (Paul Delaroche)

Poor Lady Jane

One of my fav English Monarchs (almost?)

Still what a raw deal for her

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Moosedog
Bret Smith "The Mallard Hole" hanging in our dining room.
[Linked Image]
Wow, the color is fantastic on that one.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Walker

[Linked Image]
I've seen many paintings from that era. When you're standing in fron of the actual painting, the silver color on the dress is just brilliant and seems to come to life. The thing that gets me is that is still bursts off the canvas and it's well over 100 years old. There's a painting with that same silver in a dress hanging at Crystal Bridges and it was painted in the 1760's; still brilliant in color. The talent is just amazing to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom Thompson or most anything from the Group of Seven.

This print hangs in our home.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that this thread is good witness to the fact that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has personal tastes. Contrary old phart that I am, I very often do not fall to pieces over works of art that everyone else sees as stunning.

For my part, I really can't point to a favorite. I like many different things when I see them, but I do have to say that I appreciate things that look as real as possible.

I can't point to a single artist all of whose work I think is great, but I do like much of Winslow Homer's paintings.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RogueHunter: I have a favorite work of art - I often think of it and its initial impression on me.
About 14 years ago I was hired by a private security company to provide armed body guard services for the top two executives of the Washington Mutual Bank.
We worked in teams and had run of the Washington Mutual Tower building there in Seattle, Washington.
Back then Washington Mutual Bank was one of THE strongest and most profitable banks in America.
They had lots of money and had had it for a long time.
They decorated the two executive floors of their building with exceptional and rare works of art - everything from paintings to etchings to bronze statues to blown glass and on and on.
My first day at that assignment I was doing a tour of the premise and admiring the views from the top of that skyscraper with awesome views of Mt. Ranier, Puget Sound, the Cascade Range, the Olympic Range and the city below.
Around a corner and down a hall I turn when I view a stunning black on white image of Abraham Lincoln!
The "painting" was life size being about 2 1/2'x7'!
There stood Abraham Lincoln in humble clothing holding a Bible in one hand and a double bladed axe in the other.
His sad but perfectly depicted face with forlorn eyes was staring directly at me!
I was amazed by the charcoal painting and slowed as I approached to read the artists name on the gold nameplate - Norman Rockwell, it read.
I only worked that assignment maybe fourty days a year for many years but always looked forward to re-admiring that STUNNING and mesmerizing depiction of Abraham Lincoln by Norman Rockwell.
I am such an ignoramus when it comes to art work that I had NO idea that Norman Rockwell even did charcoal paintings (charcoals?) but I often think of that amazing piece of art and who owns it now that Washington Mutual has gone tits up?
I guess Chase/Manhattan owns it now as they bought Washington Mutual out.
Your dogs with cigars is amusing and worth a second look but it can't even hold a candle to that masterful depiction of Abraham Lincoln by Norman Rockwell!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
The Banjo Lesson, 1893 . . (Henry O. Tanner)

[Linked Image]
Marat Assassinated, 1793 . . (Jacques-Louis David)

[Linked Image]
The Church at Auvers-sur-Oise, 1890 . . (Van Gogh)

[Linked Image]
Young Woman with a Water Jug, 1660-62 . . (Vermeer)

[Linked Image]
Breaking Home Ties, 1954 . . (N. Rockwell)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If we're talking classical Masters, then to me Velasquez has no equal. His Las Meninas, encompasses all the attributes, color, depth of field etc. For a more realistic and crap I can afford, John Seery Lester's "Shadows In The Grass" is among my favorites:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image] I'm not a huge collector, but I have the number 4 (of 25) artist proof (remarqued) of this.

It's a painting of the earliest documented whitetail kill in the Boone & Crockett record book, taken by Arthur Young (17 years old) in 1830 in McKean County, PA. It's not only the earliest documented whitetail kill; it's the earliest record of ANY trophy animal in ANY record book anywhere in the world. The buck is a clean 6 x 6 and scored 175 4/8. Though records weren't officially kept until well after the Boone & Crockett Club was formed, this could be called (retrospectively) the first world record whitetail for 40 years. It wasn't until 1870 that a bigger one was killed.

The painting appeared on the cover of the Pennsylvania Game News in December, 2013. It's a fascinating story of the most historic buck of all time, and I happened to write it. A shorter version of the story also appeared in Deer & Deer Hunting magazine this spring.

One interesting aspect of the story is that not only do the antlers still exist, but so does the rifle Arthur shot it with, and the powderhorn he carried on the hunt.

For you whitetail enthusiasts, prints are available at Ernest Durphy.com.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
Boston Common at Twilight, 1886 . . (Childe Hassam)

[Linked Image]
The Flower Market, 1880 . . Victor Gabriel Gilbert

[Linked Image]
Casting the Fly, No. 2 . . (W.Homer)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Posted and taken by Bobcape here on the 'Fire:

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
RogueHunter: I have a favorite work of art - I often think of it and its initial impression on me.
About 14 years ago I was hired by a private security company to provide armed body guard services for the top two executives of the Washington Mutual Bank.
We worked in teams and had run of the Washington Mutual Tower building there in Seattle, Washington.
Back then Washington Mutual Bank was one of THE strongest and most profitable banks in America.
They had lots of money and had had it for a long time.
They decorated the two executive floors of their building with exceptional and rare works of art - everything from paintings to etchings to bronze statues to blown glass and on and on.
My first day at that assignment I was doing a tour of the premise and admiring the views from the top of that skyscraper with awesome views of Mt. Ranier, Puget Sound, the Cascade Range, the Olympic Range and the city below.
Around a corner and down a hall I turn when I view a stunning black on white image of Abraham Lincoln!
The "painting" was life size being about 2 1/2'x7'!
There stood Abraham Lincoln in humble clothing holding a Bible in one hand and a double bladed axe in the other.
His sad but perfectly depicted face with forlorn eyes was staring directly at me!
I was amazed by the charcoal painting and slowed as I approached to read the artists name on the gold nameplate - Norman Rockwell, it read.
I only worked that assignment maybe fourty days a year for many years but always looked forward to re-admiring that STUNNING and mesmerizing depiction of Abraham Lincoln by Norman Rockwell.
I am such an ignoramus when it comes to art work that I had NO idea that Norman Rockwell even did charcoal paintings (charcoals?) but I often think of that amazing piece of art and who owns it now that Washington Mutual has gone tits up?
I guess Chase/Manhattan owns it now as they bought Washington Mutual out.
Your dogs with cigars is amusing and worth a second look but it can't even hold a candle to that masterful depiction of Abraham Lincoln by Norman Rockwell!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Hey VG,

The painting of dogs with cigars playing cards was tongue in cheek. (still a fun painting though)

I can relate to your story. I tried quickly researching your description of Lincoln, and found this. I am guessing maybe someone was commissioned to copy it in black and white?
I can't find a black and white by NW fitting this description, although admittedly I didn't spend alot of time looking.
Quite the painting! My guess it the etching was pilfered by an executive.

[Linked Image]

- Rogue
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I think that this thread is good witness to the fact that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has personal tastes. Contrary old phart that I am, I very often do not fall to pieces over works of art that everyone else sees as stunning.

For my part, I really can't point to a favorite. I like many different things when I see them, but I do have to say that I appreciate things that look as real as possible.

I can't point to a single artist all of whose work I think is great, but I do like much of Winslow Homer's paintings.

I agree that tastes run the gamut. I lean toward realistic "snapshots" of everyday life, as opposed to grand landscapes with sunsets.

- Rogue
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by viking
I don't what it's called or who painted it, but it is picture of a lone black wolf, over looking an old farmstead. It looked a cold winters night.

Can't remember the name either but have been trying to find a copy of it.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,924
Posts18,479,785
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.