Print Thread
Hop To
M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Boy did it ever cool down around here. The boys were busting doves last week in 100deg heat. Today it was in the 70s, nice and pleasant! I was up target shooting in the foothills today and could not help noticing the cottonwood trees were starting to turn yellow = Fall! I just checked the CDEC weather stations online and found out it was 27degF for a couple hours this morning at 9200ft elevation. This is good news for us Sierra hunters! I'm sure it was cold up at JimF's place in Truckee, that place is always on the list for the nation's coldest area! How are the temps in your area? MtnHtr

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
90-100 last 3 days...
<br>
<br>i've heard the popular rumor that we're supposed to get a wicked winter this year...hard to believe when it is september and 100 degrees...
<br>
<br>

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mid Willamette Valley in Oregon has been in the low 70s the last few days,cloudy and a few showers.Timberland has been locked down for a month due to the dry.hope this keeps up,maybe there'll be a hunting season after all.I'v heard its gonna be a wet fall and cold winter.
<br>Jeff

Jeff

I'm NOT the JScottRupp of Wolfe Publishing.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
It rained pretty good where I hunt, around 7000 ft. on Friday.
<br> Leaves of many plants start to turn in the middle of August.
<br> My weather info is it is going to be 90 again here by Monday or Tuesday.
<br> Cooler, wet weather is always welcome this time of year.
<br> I haven't seen any long range forecasts. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 09/08/02.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No! No! NO!
<br>
<br>I've still got a couple bushels of big GREEN tomatoes on the vine. We always lose some, but, due to early watering restrictions this summer, this year's crop is late by at least a couple weeks.
<br>
<br>We almost always get a snap freeze and occasional snow right around the first week of October. I'm just hoping for it to come later this year.
<br>
<br>OTOH, it's been a good zucchini year already. We grew one 11 pounder that yielded 36 cups of bread mixin's.
<br>
<br>2D

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know about early winter but this has been the first year ever the grass in Texas has not turned brown. It is Sep 8th and everything is still green and I am still cutting grass here in East Texas. The pecans are very large this year, the trees have many limbs weighted to where they are pointing down. The cantelope are sweet and juicy same for watermellon. -- no
<br>
<br>We also have a bumper crop of mosquiteos which I am feeding well.

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It hit freezing 5800 ft. last night. The flowers are croaked for sure now. It also hit freezing for a couple of nights in Aug. this is pretty rare. I depend on snow for my business (alpine skiing) so I watch the weather prognosticators closely. From what I hear, wet winter is comin' lots of snow. In fact I'll deliver a fearless forcast for 12" of snow @ 7000' by Oct 15 th.
<br>
<br>Course with a prediction like that and a buck, you can get a cuppa coffe.
<br>
<br>JimF

M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jim,
<br> Here's a few temps from the Sierras just south of you. These came off the CDEC Real-Time weather data stations:
<br>Sept 8, 2002
<br>
<br>Hagan's Meadow EL 8000ft 6:00AM 24deg F
<br>(Tahoe Basin)
<br>
<br>Monitor Pass Hwy 89 EL 8350ft 7:00AM 31deg F
<br>
<br>Ebbetts Pass Hwy 4 EL 8700ft 6:00AM 35degF
<br>
<br>Slide Canyon EL 9200ft 5:00AM 34degF
<br>(Yosemite Park)
<br>
<br>
<br>These are way below average temps for early Sept. I have seen it snow a foot in the high country in mid-Sept but its rare. It will warm back up in a few days I'm sure but these temps are encouraging for us hunters who hunt the mid-elevation. I can obtain the latest temps from these weather stations just before I leave for my trip, helps knowing the current temps. Mtn Htr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Need One:
<br>
<br>You must be in a localized area of rainfall down there, it is drier than a popcorn fart up here, at least until we got some showers yesterday and today, but probably too little too late. Brown? My grass passed brown a month ago, we haven't had a lick of rain in 2 months. My pasture look like a dead putting green with less grass and more weeds.
<br>
<br>FWIW, which I think is zero, a lot of the old timey signs around here are pointing to an early winter, I say hurry up, might as well cool off if the grass isn't going to grow.
<br>
<br>

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It has been unseasonably dry this summer for western Washington, temps in the 70's 80's and 90's up until the past week now in the 60's rain squalls and now the usual drizzle. Rivers are low and forest roads shut down. Weather quessers say weather to clear up and warm up later in the week... These are the same folks who forecast snow that never happens and when it does it is a complete shock to them.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
IC B3

Lin Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's amazing how frequently weather forecasters can be wrong... and still keep their jobs.
<br>
<br>I live in South Florida - what is "winter"???

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's when half of Michigan heads for Florida.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm way north of you, near the Oregon border. 39 degrees here this morning, and sure feels like fall in the air. Deer season opens here next Saturday, and that is normally hot. We'll see.

Lin Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well shoot, Clint... early winter???... it's already started.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CAT, Sonnie waters his yard, of course the durn grass is green. My grass is dry on the hills, still got some green in the bottoms but it is dry and tough. Got some over an inch of blessing dumped on us this morining and pretty general too. Will perk the pastures up for a while anyway.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boggy, just because Sonnie lives in the middle don't mean you guys get to jump on me all the time. Feel like a stepchild everytime I say something I get it from both sides. --- Having breakfast with Travelingman in the morning wish you guys could come up. He is the real,"fly by night", guy. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well from my traveling days, Montana only has two seasons. Winter and August.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (204guy, 12344mag, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 49 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,767
Posts18,515,428
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.