-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hello, all. I wanted to pick the collective brain here about the ethics and advisability of altering a pre-64 Winchester Model 70.

What I have is a complete and unaltered barreled action (no stock) that dates to 1962 in caliber .30-06. The finish is good with a bit of wear in the usual places. However, the rifle is heavier and longer than I'd like. Along with fitting a stock, I am considering cutting the barrel to a shorter length. Sensible or sacrilege? Share your opinions, please.

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I say cut it. Its a piece of steel, not the holy grail, make it the way you want.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
S.D., I agree with noknees on this one. If you are going to a lightweight stock, it is going to balance some better with the shorter tube, but more importantly, it will be the way YOU want it. A couple of times I've tried to just live with a longer than I wanted bbl., and wasn't happy until a cut and crown made it what I really wanted to start with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much do you want for the barreled action? You could sell it to someone that cares then find a Remington model 7 or 660 and not cut up an original gun, or chop something else a bit less desirable...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look for an original Winchester stock.

Even one with a pad would look good and be fun to shoot.

Then if it's still too heavy and long you can sell it with an 'original' stock!

Maybe it's your first "pre-64". I was there when they made them and I never liked the Standard Grade in the regular chamberings. Thus I never bought one! I did buy a heavy bbl. Varmint model and magnums and have the 264, 300 HH, 375! because.

So get a real Win. stock. Shoot it and use it near the car and then sell it as a pre-64.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
How much are you really going to lighten it by lopping off a couple inches? What are you going to do about the front sight?

You will ruin pretty much all the collector value but if it makes it a rifle you will hunt with more what's losing a couple hundred bucks? Plus everytime someone does this it just makes my M70's worth more!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Leave it alone....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Troll....6 posts in almost three years....get lost...

WTF do you think Winchester enthusiasts would tell you do?

Last edited by balltownbob; 05/05/14.

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
S
OP Offline
S
To balltownbob,

If you're being sincere and not sarcastic, your reply is off the mark. And considering that the replies I've received so far are NOT unanimous, I suspect there isn't the unanimity of thought among Winchester enthusiasts your post implies.

Steve

PS - thanks for the invite to get lost. However, since you neither moderate nor own this site, I shall politely decline.

S
OP Offline
S
And to everyone else,

Thank you so far for your replies. Despite allegations to the contrary, I am not trolling. I am learning.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I agree that you shouldn't cut it.

Sell it, and find the short barrel you desire.

Plenty would want the unaltered barrel. Its not that its the holy grail, but it does represent something considered of better quality.

Why ruin it.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't see it as being a troll at all. To many M70's are just another rifle. This is a late production (not that collectable) and it does not have the stock with it. Not really a big deal if he cuts it. But I have to agree with others if you want a light weight gun sell this and buy one already light.

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks. That answer helps. Mine is such a common chambering (30-06) and it's a late-production (1962), standard grade rifle. As such, I wasn't sure if the usual concerns about altering collectible rifles would apply.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
In as much as you will not lighten the rifle a significant amount, my suggestion would be to look for a Featherweight barrel and stock rather than shorten the standard weight barrel. You could sell the standard weight barrel to recover some of your expense. The Featherweight barrel is 22" long and a slimmer profile than the standard weight, replacing the steel trigger guard and floorplate with aluminum Featherweight parts will complete the transition to a Featherweight. Might want to check around you may be able to find a reasonably priced Featherweight, just last week a .30-06 Featherweight barreled action sold in the classified ads on this site for $650.00. Be patient and consider all your options before altering your rifle, there is truth in the opinion you've been offered that yours is a late model in the most common caliber. At the end of the day, it is your rifle to do with as you wish. Hope whichever way you go that you wind up with a rifle you are pleased with.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why would you ask a question you already "know" the answer to? You haven't posted schitt since joining almost three years ago....and now feel compelled to get the opinions of others?

As someone said it's your gun. Do what you want to it...Who cares..No one....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by reelman
I don't see it as being a troll at all. To many M70's are just another rifle. This is a late production (not that collectable) and it does not have the stock with it. Not really a big deal if he cuts it. But I have to agree with others if you want a light weight gun sell this and buy one already light.

Call me crazy, but I cringe when someone wants to cut an original barrel. I'd unscrew the original and save it. I have a stainless fwt 30-06 or 270 fwt barrel (both like new) I'd give up (fairly cheap) to the op if he is interested in doing this. He can buy a McMillan edge, bansner, brown pounder or something similar and go all out for light on this rifle and have a great handling and shooting hunter. If he wanted to screw the original barrel back on later down the road, he always has that option. Just a thunk..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Kinda have to agree with the line of thought in the "keep the original barrel" and get the lightweight profile you want.

Unless you plan on shopping for a while, buying the parts new to change the stock, the barrel, and the smith work for the barrel, you'll probably be spending more than just buying what you wanted at the end of the project. JMO

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good advice from AH64:

Buy an aftermarket good barrel with a FWT contour and have a knowledgeable smith put it on. You end up with an almost guaranteed great shooter.

IMO standard weight pre64s never were a joy to carry much anyway. However, not bad with irons.

Find an original FWT stock or a good LW synthetic. Done.

Lugging around a rifle you don't enjoy carrying is a rifle soon to be gone.

Last edited by battue; 05/06/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
OP Offline
S
BSA and AH64, among others, have thrown out some great ways to build the rifle I want without trashing a classic. Thank you for the constructive advice.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck with it Steve.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 52 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,874
Posts18,497,622
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.