Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Im considering a set from EAR or ESP, anyone have any experience with them or something similar? Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have not used EAR or ESP, but many years of shooting have rendered me very deficient in the ranges above 2,000 cps. I have been wearing "in-the-canal" hearing aids by NU-EAR. They do help in conversation and they do shut down above about 76 dbs. I wear them hunting and gun shots from either shotguns or rifles in the field are not objectionable. I am careful to use real ear protection when it is needed (on the range or in the duck blind with others), but rely on the cut-off circuits in the aids when hunting upland birds or big game. I like to be able to hear bird songs in the country and the whistle of wings overhead when birds go by.

Being a creature of habit, I don't put them in until I have showered in the morning. On those occasions when I have to use the whistle to call in one of my bird dogs that I have let out early in the morning, I am always startled at how loud and shrill it is without the aids and the cut-out circuit. That is reassuring, as I know that the circuits are working as they are supposed to. They are expensive, but IMO, worth it.

I have used several of the amplified muffs on the range, but cannot imagine wearing them hunting...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rocky Raab explains the different types, and uses on his website, and more than likely will answer any questions.
www.reloadingroom.com will give links.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a pair of standard hearing aids with the compression circuits and would not be without them sharp noises like gunshots, backfires etc shut them down and I barely hear them. They are free, the V.A. buys them for me.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not yet but I have to go in on the 16th of this month for surgery on my right ear. Due to complications from a ruptured ear drum that happened nearly two years ago. Surgeon said my hearing woudn't be any better than it is now and may be a little worse. It all depends on how much they have to do when they get in there.If worse is the case I'll be in a world of hurt on my right side and will almost certainly wind up with a hearing aid in my right ear at the minimum.
I'm not looking forward to this operation at all.

DT

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have the ESP system. It is great. I use it mostly for sporting clays shooting, and duck and goose hunting in pits or blinds when there are other shooters present.

They fit comfortably, are volume adjustable, and allow normal conversation to be heard.

I haven't had occasion to use them with a centerfire rifle on a hunt, or really needed to, but don't see any reason why they wouldn't work well.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
M70 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have several sets of the molded in EAR ear plugs. Also a set of their hearing aid, sound supressor molded in (analog / old) protectors. Mine are several years old and have worked very well. I use the standard molded in ear plug in my left ear and the hearing aid / protector in my right ear while shooting at the range. The majority of my rifles are muzzle braked. Depending on the hunting situation & rifle used, I will wear one hearing aid (right ear) and a plug, or both hearing aids. These hearing aid / protectors are expensive, but well worth the money. Will be buying a set of the EAR digital protectors/hearing aids at the SCI International convention next year.

I have worn them day in & day out from Australia to Africa. It's great being able to hear the snap of a twig or the swish of the grass once again. Note, they do take time to get used to them. I'm wearing them right now while at work, so that I can listen to my (CNC) machines run and employees doing their jobs.

Good Hunting,
M70
aka, Dale

life. . . . used up, worn out, nothing left but the memories, an' ah yellin' "WOW !! What a ride!!"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have a pair of standard hearing aids with the compression circuits and would not be without them...

That's what I use, but I have mine set so they turn off at the frequency of a female voice..............

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
(Boy, how many times have I been asked about that "wife" circuit, HA!)

I was introduced above, and I do invite you to my web page to read more. I'm a dealer for E.A.R. to set the record straight. Their products are superb and the warranty is the best in the industry. I wear the older analog units myself, but wouldn't even think analog these days because that technology is going the way of the eight-track player. Of the three or four brands on the market for shooters EAR and ESP are far and awy the best. (I can't speak about hearing aids tuned to give a shooting benefit because I'm not qualified to do so..) Walker Game Ear produces a lower price product that is a good "training wheels" unit but isn't nearly as good, effective or comfortable as in-ear units. The unit to avoid is Sport Ear. I can't go into why I say that without getting sued by their %$&#@^ lawyers, but trust me. Please.

Expect to spend $800 per ear and up for entry-level digitals. The decision point on brand should be warranty, not price. The quality of the circuits are all very good to excellent. If you already have a hearing loss (and who among us does not, huh?) you won't be able to detect subtle differences in the circuit anyway. The money will be well spent.

Guys and gals, you can replace your guns. You can buy a new truck. You cannot repair, replace or do without your ears. Protect what you have left.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rocky- They can sue Me! SPORT EARS ARE JUNK, IF YOU WANT TO SPEND $20. $50, OR $80 to find out if hearing enhancement will work for you, then this IS AS CHEAP as you can GO TO SEE IF HELPS, providing - the batteries do not drain out before you get them installed, the d*|&m switch will work, and listen quick and fast, before they go completely out of order. Also - the crows and turkeys you hear in the distance will be just as "hearable" or "louder" with the things in your pocket, instead of in your ear.

I bought cheap because I was not sure I could get adjusted to wind noise, as those who use ear aids, say this is the biggest problem to get used too. Did not bother me and quickly got used to it, but I forgot how those little chipmunks and ground squirrels can drive you nuts rustling around in the forest duff. I also heard birds and instects that had been "extinct" for five years or so.

I have the Walker Muffs, and they are not waterproof, so have to carry plastic bag in case of storm. Unhandy because I like to still hunt, and you can imagine the problem with silencing plastic completely. However they have been reliable, but I do plan on going with Rocky's brand "state of the art" in the ear kind. This as soon as get cured of the gun buying (sorry Rocky), he, he, he! Good warranty on them, and that is what the extra pennies are for. Worth it in the long run!

No offense to anyone who has and likes the Sport Ears, just my experience with them.

Edited to add this: Don't remember if Rocky's site mentioned or not, but I've been told if veteran, you can get help for purchase of hearing aids through the VA, but have not checked into it personally as of yet.

Last edited by remseven; 06/07/06.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
VA assistance is available - but only for pure hearing aids, not "shooting aids" or "assisted listening devices" as our products are categorized. Also, the VA plugs are truly lowest bidder products. You get no say in the brand or model. You get what they give you and like it (hmmm...sounds just when you were active duty, doesn't it, LOL!)

Thanks for the truthful portrayal of "that other company" and their stuff. They also use VERY high pressure sales technique.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a set of Siemens Hearing aides wirh the noise canceling ciruitry in them courtesy of VAMC Seattle.

I'm guilty of of not using them as much as I should as I kind of like to filter out some of the distractions arround the house, the wife knows what it means when I reach up to my aer and act like I'm turning them off even when they're not in.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 2ndwind, 1beaver_shooter, 30incher, 35 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,322
Posts18,526,423
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.