Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 36 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 35 36
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
You get right down to it, this is all just a bunch of "mine is better than yours". I've killed deer (and an occasional pig) with muzzleloaders, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 270 WSM, 7mm SAUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Weatherby, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, and probably a few others that I don't remember, with ranges from 10 yards all the way up to about 550 yards (with a 7mm Rem Mag, coincidentally). Thing is, they were all just as dead, and they couldn't have told you what caliber I used. A 7mm Remington Magnum is just as good as, or as bad as, the person shooting it.

Last edited by HilhamHawk; 05/05/14.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend and me were chrono-ing loads from my 270 Win and his 7mm RM. Both shooting 150g bullets. He'd been bragging for years how much harder the Big 7 hit than the 270.

The chrony read:
270 Win - 2960fps ave
7mm RM - 2675 fps ave

So chalk one up to me. But......

Since then he's worked up some proper handloads and now has that Big 7 shooting closer to potential. And now it craps all over the 270.

My rule of thumb is the 7RM will shoot the same weight bullets about 200 to 250fps faster, or for the same speeds the 7 will shoot bullets about 20g heavier.

The 7 is noticeably more gun, even though the 270 Win is my favourite.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Isn't the same for everybody, but he got old and it has physically caught up with him in his ability to tolerate the recoil. Some handle that with grace and some don't. He has chosen the path via his writing to bad mouth a superior performing cartridge for one of a lower velocity level that does work well too. Fact is, he must see controversity as a method to insure his readership, works for some here but not all. Never really cared one way or another what he thinks as I have my own experience to rely on. Most guys with 30+ years of hunting ,shooting and many different rifles chambered for cartridges thruout the spectrum agree with what gunwriters write when it intersects with their own experience. When it don't we quit reading them. When it does we think they are pretty smart for a guy who lives where they do. Some of them live where they can do all the hunts by themselves and shoot when they want to. They are the ones who tend to make us pay attn. to their writing unless it's BS. Magnum Man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobnob17
A friend and me were chrono-ing loads from my 270 Win and his 7mm RM. Both shooting 150g bullets. He'd been bragging for years how much harder the Big 7 hit than the 270.

The chrony read:
270 Win - 2960fps ave
7mm RM - 2675 fps ave

So chalk one up to me. But......

Since then he's worked up some proper handloads and now has that Big 7 shooting closer to potential. And now it craps all over the 270.

My rule of thumb is the 7RM will shoot the same weight bullets about 200 to 250fps faster, or for the same speeds the 7 will shoot bullets about 20g heavier.

The 7 is noticeably more gun, even though the 270 Win is my favourite.

You're right, using good handloads. For the average guy, using factory ammo in factory rifles, there's little if any actual difference, except the 7RM is generally going to be somewhat heavier and longer in most cases. Custom guns and loads let the 7 show its stuff, but the real question is whether you really need the extra power for the hunting you do. I'd be more likely to go to a big .30 for long range and a .338, .35, or 9.3 for heavier game. Since I'll likely never do either, I'll stick with what I got. These days, I'm more concerned about what rifle I use than what it eats.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Somebody after him coined a catchier phrase along the same lines: "There is no replacement for displacement" grin

I think that was Hugh Hefner.....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The 7mm Rem Mag/ 180gr VLD @ 2975fps is simply a whole different animal. I would expect good bullet performance at 1100yds (in thin air) on elk sized game.

And don't forget about the 120 out of a 7 RM at 3,500+ fps.
A fav Coues deer load for me.

The 270/130 sucks eggs trying to keep up with that.

On the other hand, I sure like carrying my 700 Ti in 270 Win.
It sees more field time than the 7.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I was trying some loads in my 7mm Weatherby a couple weeks ago, and with published Reloder 25 data got over 3700 fps with the 120 Ballistic Tip, and accuracy was pretty darn good.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Anyway didn't mean to get any ones shorts in a knot!

Sorry, I didn't see the smiley there.. grins.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I actually really am starting to like the 7 rem mag case.

Necked to .25 (in a wtby die....)

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
'Then there's the endless parade of "perfect" 6.5mm cartridges that would supposedly end all hunting cartridge development over the past decade or two: .260 Remington, 6.5/.284, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5SAUM, etc. etc. etc. "

Then there's the 605X55mm Swede, 120 years old and still the equal of virtually any other 6.5 (except the barrel-burning, big over-bore magnums).

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Isn't the same for everybody, but he got old and it has physically caught up with him in his ability to tolerate the recoil. Some handle that with grace and some don't. He has chosen the path via his writing to bad mouth a superior performing cartridge for one of a lower velocity level that does work well too. Fact is, he must see controversity as a method to insure his readership, works for some here but not all. Never really cared one way or another what he thinks as I have my own experience to rely on. Most guys with 30+ years of hunting ,shooting and many different rifles chambered for cartridges thruout the spectrum agree with what gunwriters write when it intersects with their own experience. When it don't we quit reading them. When it does we think they are pretty smart for a guy who lives where they do. Some of them live where they can do all the hunts by themselves and shoot when they want to. They are the ones who tend to make us pay attn. to their writing unless it's BS. Magnum Man

Controversy sells articles and magazines. Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith proved that

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
20 years ago Petzal was one of the biggest magnum pushers. Now he's against them. Kind of like the guy who always buys a new Ford and thinks everybody else should too. But heaven forbid if one year he happens to buy a Chevy then he thinks all the Ford drivers have eggs for brains.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Petzal isn't the only "post magnum" gunwriter. Ross Seyfried did the same thing. In their defense, today's bullets make plain vanilla rifles like a 270 or a 308 a LOT more effective on game than they were decades ago, though both have always been more than adequate for whitetails.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by moosemike
20 years ago Petzal was one of the biggest magnum pushers. Now he's against them. Kind of like the guy who always buys a new Ford and thinks everybody else should too. But heaven forbid if one year he happens to buy a Chevy then he thinks all the Ford drivers have eggs for brains.

When did Petzal go anti magnum? He's only comparing the performance on game between just two cartridges. The 270 Winchester and the 7mm Remington Magnum. Nor is he advising 7mmRM owner to switch to the 270W. Me thinks that people are reading too much into his opinion...

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Petzal isn't the only "post magnum" gunwriter. Ross Seyfried did the same thing. In their defense, today's bullets make plain vanilla rifles like a 270 or a 308 a LOT more effective on game than they were decades ago, though both have always been more than adequate for whitetails.

This is true... I wish he'd write articles more often. Good writer!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Originally Posted by moosemike

When did Petzal go anti magnum? He's only comparing the performance on game between just two cartridges. The 270 Winchester and the 7mm Remington Magnum. Nor is he advising 7mmRM owner to switch to the 270W. Me thinks that people are reading too much into his opinion...

He's come out against magnums in general over the past few years. He's started pushing the .280 a lot more even though Carmichael already tried that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Maybe he realized that having the living schit kicked out of him wasn't much fun, and the magnums don't kill any better than standard rounds.

Most of us realize those things at some point; the controversy comes in because at any given time we are all at different points on the path.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think Petzal has always been a 270 shooter,but I seem to recall he was also something of a 340 Weatherby and 7mm Weatherby shooter as well.I guess he liked mediums for elk.

Boddington is another gun writer who used the various magnums a lot,although he seems to have softened his stance quite a bit in recent years.

But then who among us has not played with stuff from the 7 Rem Mag on up at one time or another? You go through phases,and your opinion changes.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Maybe he realized that having the living schit kicked out of him wasn't much fun, and the magnums don't kill any better than standard rounds.

Most of us realize those things at some point; the controversy comes in because at any given time we are all at different points on the path.

I've never felt the 7 was all that bad in a standard weight rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I think Petzal has always been a 270 shooter,but I seem to recall he was also something of a 340 Weatherby and 7mm Weatherby shooter as well.I guess he liked mediums for elk.

Boddington is another gun writer who used the various magnums a lot,although he seems to have softened his stance quite a bit in recent years.

But then who among us has not played with stuff from the 7 Rem Mag on up at one time or another? You go through phases,and your opinion changes.

Petzal still does push the .338 WM for elk. Towsley pushes bigger thumpers than that for Elk though.

Last edited by moosemike; 05/06/14.
Page 6 of 36 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 12savage, 60 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,179
Posts18,523,766
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.