Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had some 300 WSM rounds that were too high in pressure. I was pulling the bullets to redo them, using an RCBS kinetic puller. I was happily tapping away on a brick when a primer fired. It blew out of the primer pocket and flew across the room. The bullet was about 3/4 of the way out so there wasn't any powder near the primer so it didn't ignite. It scares me to think what would have happened if this had happened on the 1st blow when the powder was back against the primer.

I think I'll go shopping for a collet type puller. I've pulled a lot of bullets over the years with this thing without incident but I'll admit that banging on a live round has always made me nervous.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
easiest way- put the cartridge in the press, run it up through the press and grab the bullet with side cutter pliers. pull down on the handle and the pliers will stop against the press. gently pull down and the bullet comes right out. no damage to the bullet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes , we ALL wear our glasses when reloading, don't we? wink

Glad you are ok.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
no damage to the bullet.

Not sure about that!

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RCBS Collet puller is the only way to roll....

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hornady collet-type bullet puller is the best I've used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
RCBS Collet puller is the only way to roll....

Yup, I have all the collets. The inertia puller has its place especially with lead pistol bullets but the collet type gets the most use.

Denny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
glad you are safe Rock.
I was annealing some brass and one case in a hundred had a primer. I was heating it in the flame of our cook stove and wifey walkes by just as the primer went off. went 2.75 inches into her left arm. expensive round that one turned out to be.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by deerstalker
glad you are safe Rock.
I was annealing some brass and one case in a hundred had a primer. I was heating it in the flame of our cook stove and wifey walkes by just as the primer went off. went 2.75 inches into her left arm. expensive round that one turned out to be.

Dang man! was it the doctor or the divorce lawyer that was the most expensive? smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me about 10 years ago. I was lucky, in that I had my head turned slightly. The primer shot out of there at an extremely high rate of speed and just missed my right eye by a quarter inch. I still carry a 3" long scar from the corner of my eye to past my right temple.

It was estimated that, at a minimum, it would have taken that eye out, possibly going into my brain, if I had not turned my head slightly.

Scary times. Thanks to my Lord for posting a guardian angel beside me when I needed it.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one go off too. In this day and age I'm surprised the makers haven't been forced to enclose the cap end through litigation. I'll never use one again.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yipes! I have never had a 'failure' with a kinetic puller, but this sure gives one pause.

Sam......

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I've broken two -- lots of use there. Sidecutters for me now and RCBS collet for .416 Rigby. So glad you escaped!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I had some 300 WSM rounds that were too high in pressure. I was pulling the bullets to redo them, using an RCBS kinetic puller. I was happily tapping away on a brick when a primer fired. It blew out of the primer pocket and flew across the room. The bullet was about 3/4 of the way out so there wasn't any powder near the primer so it didn't ignite. It scares me to think what would have happened if this had happened on the 1st blow when the powder was back against the primer.

I think I'll go shopping for a collet type puller. I've pulled a lot of bullets over the years with this thing without incident but I'll admit that banging on a live round has always made me nervous.
Many times, over the past several years, I have been WARNING people to quit using those things. They're by far the most dangerous tool available for reloaders.

So, I'll say it again - DO NOT, I REPEAT, NOT USE ANY KINETIC PULLER TO REMOVE BULLETS FROM LOADED CASES!!! Spend a couple extra bux to obtain a bullet-pulling die for your reloader.. It's simply NOT WORTH IT to risk severe injury from using those damned kinetic pullers..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Mine that went off was a 300 win mag. Primer put a nice hole in the sheetrock lid..

Bought a collet puller immediately after.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CaneSlinger
Hornady collet-type bullet puller is the best I've used.

This one.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grab the bullet with side cutter pliers.

I do this but use a pair of electrical crimping pliers, with the little half circles of different size to grip the bullet. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Okay, mine is going in the trash.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
"Kinetic" and live ammo has never sat well with me.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Funny thing, I have blown up more guns than kinetic pullers...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,672
Posts18,493,799
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.