Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Anybody here used the S&k smooth ring system? Rings are the V1 series.

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have S&K rings & bases on 4 rifles, and I like them for the most part. They have a very clean look, and they seem solid when properly installed. They are one of the best-looking mount systems I've seen. I personally wouldn't recommend them if you think you'll be changing scopes semi-frequently, as the rings are thin straps that you bend around the scope tube, and I wouldn't feel comfortable constantly bending the rings open and closed multiple times.

Ted
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Clean and solid is why they interest me. How aggravating is it to get the scope centered with the coned screws system in the base?

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The S&K are very nice and the people at S&K were really nice too.

Here are 30MM S&K rings and mounts on a BLR:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not a very good picture of the rings, but these are S&K on my 30-06

[Linked Image]

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by shootem
Clean and solid is why they interest me. How aggravating is it to get the scope centered with the coned screws system in the base?

It can be kinda aggrivating. The key is to move the cone screws an even number of turns each side and verify rough center using a bore sighter or while looking down the bore at a distant object.

Once properly setup, they seem to be sturdy. I haven't had any of them fail.

...Actually, that's not true. They used to make rings for Ruger, and I have a set. The "wrap around" design doesn't lend itself to including the little locking "tabs" that fit in the half-moon slots on the Ruger mount system. So, mine would slide forward on the receiver during recoil. I fixed that by drilling small holes on the bottom of one of the base halves and press-fitting a pin to act as a recoil shoulder, and they haven't moved since.

I think they are a good mount system for a permanent setup. No doubt to my eyes they're maybe the best-looking scope mounts available, along with Conetrol. Maybe they'd be o.k. for frequent scope changes too, but I just wouldn't trust thin, mild steel straps being repeatedly bent back and forth to maintain their clamping power over time.

Ted
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Have used them with no problems on Remingtons. They do look nice. Moved on though to other systems.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ordered some for my FN mauser in 300 H&H mag. When I called to order them I asked if the rear base would hang over the port, that I found it visually awkward. The machinist offered to machine some additional metal to accommodate me. Great CS.
Mine are currently being cerakoted along with the barreled action. And yes the rings are a thin band of metal.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have them on several guns ; including a 300H&H. Clean looking, easy to mount, no problems. Have remounted some 2-3 times; no issues.
Stainless
[Linked Image]
Cerakoted
[Linked Image]
Polished
[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Interesting. I ordered these from Brownell's and they came without hanging over the port. They are good stuff and about as as light as Talley's LW.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Double check mine when they come back from Charlie Santoni. Had explained my issues with Leupolds QR bases.

Last edited by sidepass; 05/06/14.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Your Weatherby/Swarovski set-up is nice. Edge I presume?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish they made a more low profile/sleeker base for the Kimber 84's

Life is just one damned thing after another
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
[quote=shootem]Your Weatherby/Swarovski set-up is nice. Edge I presume? [/quote

No, standard fill McMillan MK V. Its my shooting house/tripod stand rig; .270 Wby mag with 26" barrel. Not a lightweight at 9lbs plus; but I don't carry it far and recoil is no big deal at that weight. Started out as a bead blasted black/synthetic steal; cerakoted Blue titanium. The matte S&K's coat nicely.
The gun brings the heat;it must be the rings:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 05/07/14.
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mine's a .270 WM Euromark 24". Have a 2.5-10x42 Monarch on it but have not shot it since it was mounted. Dual Dovetail mounts with Burris Signature rings. Afraid to weigh it. Probably hurt me retroactively if I did.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shootem

Like them a lot for reasons you stated. Centering them is easy as pie, don't let that discourage you one bit. Approach it the way you would an adjustable windage leupold base, it's just that now you've two of them, front and rear, to set. No biggie.

Some one concern about the rings, and repeatedly removing/replacing them. I dunno, I've done it quite a few times swapping scopes around. The rings behave like spring steel, and haven't had any issue with re-mounting them.

CS was very good to me. Had a little overhang issue at rear of base, interfering with bolt on a mauser. Probably just how the mauser was drilled. Anyway, S&K just asked for a measurement of how much to mill off; they reblued the pair so matched and had them back in a week or two. Can't beat that.

Using on cz 452, 550, and small ring mauser, and pending for a m70.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had them on my custom mauser for 18yrs and I chose them because they were clean profiled with a custom look to them

[Linked Image]

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by cal74

Hmmm... not sure how you'd get any more low profile/sleeker than this. Here's my Kimber 84 Classic Select with S&Ks and a Kahles 2-7X36. The rear base does not extend over the ejection port...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RifleDude; 05/07/14.

Ted
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RifleDude
Originally Posted by cal74

Hmmm... not sure how you'd get any more low profile/sleeker than this. Here's my Kimber 84 Classic Select with S&Ks and a Kahles 2-7X36. The rear base does not extend over the ejection port...

[Linked Image]

Do they make a lower base for the Kimber, to get the scope down closer to the barrel?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't think so, but keep in mind, that scope only has a 36mm objective, and there's only about .15" space between the objective bell and the barrel as-is. The rings shown are "lows."

Ted
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (Amos63, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,377 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,502
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.