Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We all want to be "real" Winchester Collectors, right?

Soooo....henceforth:

1) threads can ONLY relate to unaltered pre64 M70's
2) there will be no discussions, questions, or even mentions of any M70's, altered in any way (sorry, JOC)
3) threads regarding M94's, M12's, or M21's, will NOT be tolerated
4) any attempt at a thread concerning any other (less equal) Winchester models will result in immediate suspension of posting privileges.
5) and you don't even want to know what will become of any poster who might attempt to discuss ANY iteration of those wretched post 64's, push feeds, XTRs, Classics, FNs, etc.

Oh, and

6). Please keep your post count at the optimal level, to avoid the shame of being labeled a troll. While we don't know what the optimal post count is (we only know that 6 posts in 4 years is clearly inadequate!), we are sure that if your post count gets out of the optimal range, you will hear about it!

BTW, we retain the right to tighten our specs at any time. In the future, threads may be limited to rifles NIB, with box and hanging tags (and PULEESE don't stick the bolt in the receiver!!!)

Thank you for your commitment to maintaining the purity of Winchester Collectors

Sincerely,

southtexas (aka Ihaterecoilpads)

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well I guess that leaves me out, Ive only bought one Winchester that was unfired since the WP stamp, the very first thing I did was find 4 boxes of ammo, bolt on NOS Redfield bases, ring it up ,scope it up with a proven Leupold an zero that bad boy ( .264 win mag) .Two days later I neck shot a freezer buck at 212 yards. It took me 50 years to get the darn thing and I plan on using it till they push me off in a hole under a live oak in the cow pasture! very best WinPoor

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We do get all kinds of stupid BS on the Savage board too,I myself have gone off on the "this is Savage Collectors" not Savage tinkerers...

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
You're joking, right? Perhaps you should have the moderator create a category for narrowminded intolerant purists, maybe you could name it "Purist snob collectors of ONLY unaltered pre'64 M/70's". You could be the self-appointed overseer of the site enforcing the rules you suggest and maintaining the "purity" of the category. I am a Winchester Collector and for the last 40 yrs. have enjoyed many of the company's fine products. My focus has been on pre'64 M/70's, I have owned NIB, hunter/shooter grade rifles and have one that is my favorite hunting rifle that I have modified to suit my needs. Up till now those visiting the category have been open minded and tolerant of everyone's interests, I see no reason to change. Just pass by the posts that are not of interest to you.

Last edited by gunswizard; 05/07/14.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think that was sarcasm, but ya know, some Winchester guys don't even think model 70's are worth messing with.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love it, only wish I could write like that, I think these purists might be cut from the same cloth that the people who think that low post counters aren't worth the time of day

Last edited by randylindquist; 05/07/14.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm really glad to see this post, especially after the last one. My only thought is, most of you keep using the term "purist". I thought the last letter came off as extremely "elitist" with the late-production rifles being classed as lower status than early guns. Soon, to post here, you'll have to be discussing pre-war unaltered guns in other than that common 30-06 caliber.
Just the $.02 of a Forum newbie who's been collecting lever Winchesters for over 60 years and finally got a M70. Shooter grade by the way.
yooper

S
S
southtexas,

Thanks for posting this. You provided me with a good chuckle.

I came to this sub-forum a few days ago with an admittedly rookie question because, well, who better to ask than a bunch of Winchester aficionados? In general, I got excellent advice and for that I'm grateful.

In the future, I'll try to observe The Six Rules as I learn the Orthodoxy of Collectible Winchesters.

Steve
(who is busily trying to boost his post count into the double digits!) grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I find safe-queen rifles often provide limited enjoyment. It's common for such rifles to go very long stretches without seeing the light of day. Maybe get out a couple times a year to get wiped off.

The best example I know of was a collector I talked to years ago. We were talking about a certain rifle he owned and he mentioned he hadn't seen that rifle in about 20 years. In the course of our conversation he mentioned it would be quite the task for him to get his hands on the rifle and he explained his safe situation. He had several and they were lined up in a corridor, front to back. He could a access the front safe fine, but for the safe behind that, he had to empty the front safe, move it out of the way and then he could open the safe behind it. And of course he had to go through the same procedure for the safe behind that one. Not surprisingly, he didn't do this - he just let them sit.

When I expressed my reaction - that it seemed a shame he went so long without seeing most of his rifles, he responded, "why does that matter - I know what's in each safe and I know what each rifle looks like!"

crazy

Last edited by boltman; 05/07/14. Reason: front to back

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Of course, we all remember the days, when a safe was at the bank, and there were no gun safes. Before the damn things became worth so much that 95% of normal people just got priced out of the game.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TheOldTree
Of course, we all remember the days, when a safe was at the bank, and there were no gun safes. Before the damn things became worth so much that 95% of normal people just got priced out of the game.

I hadn't thought about that... but growing up I can't recall of knowing of anyone who had a safe, much less a safe just for guns. Can't say this is a sign of a positive change.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It happened right at the same time the gun shows became less of a place to buy, sell and trade. And more of a gun "show" with much less selling going on.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I started buying pre'64 M/70's when a nice prewar example could be bought for $200-$225. Those were the days.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When I started maybe 76 or so 94 carbines were 100, for the absolute best ones, all day long. Of course when someone pulled out a 100 bill back then it was something that was worth way more than it is now. I think gas then was around 75 cents.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But, but but how am I to ask about my all original 1890 vintage 1886 in 40-82 that I have only shot the one true and holy black powder thru? Oh, wait since the powder is of a mfg lot dated 2014 I may be disqualified from asking. May I please have a ruling?

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't think so, not here, that's not a model 70. Maybe if you want to sell it for $500 it would be acceptable. or better yet send me a private message. (The equivalent of meeting in the parking lot at the gun show.) smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been a riflemans rifle fan for many years.
To me a rifleman indicates shooting. All mine get used

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steve_Durham
southtexas,

Thanks for posting this. You provided me with a good chuckle.

I came to this sub-forum a few days ago with an admittedly rookie question because, well, who better to ask than a bunch of Winchester aficionados? In general, I got excellent advice and for that I'm grateful.

In the future, I'll try to observe The Six Rules as I learn the Orthodoxy of Collectible Winchesters.

Steve
(who is busily trying to boost his post count into the double digits!) grin

You're only at 11 posts. You better start typing faster... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
S
Blatantly padding my record...

PS - check your inbox, bsa.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I'm sorry, but you Model 70 people have too little, too late. Everyone knows that REAL Winchesters were built long before the Model 70 was anything but a pipe dream! They are all just toys, where REAL Winchesters were manufactured before 1900.

Boys and their toys...

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 2500HD, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,922
Posts18,498,484
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.