Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Does anyone here have any S African neighbors or friends. I do, and I have met many of their friends. They are all great.

Hard work, responsibility, and self reliance seems to be the norm. They remind me of my grandparents, what Americans used to be like.

They seem to run the gamut of talents: engineers, artists, lawyers, and self employed business people.

Some of the older Afrikaners served in the army and fought the Cuban mercenary/terrorists the SWAPOs in the 70's & 80's.

Their kids are also not spoiled, a really refreshing change from Americans, and they also work hard.

Their BBQ's are great. Everyone eats about 2# of meat per person. No Afrikaners are fat. Some are well muscled and not lean.

Gotta Love these people!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Badger is my neighbor but he lives a few states away. Welcome in my home anytime

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76
Badger is my neighbor but he lives a few states away. Welcome in my home anytime

He's one of my closest friends as well. A great African American!
There's nothing I wouldn't do for Alan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got a good friend that lives there, talk to him every week..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First of all it's a braai and not a bbq. grin And I agree with your summary. South Africans and Zimbabweans are some of the nicest people I have met. They're also tough as nails!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Lots of good ones emigrated. I like those with whom I've been hunting. Wish I had an RSA expat neighbor so's I could practice Afrikaans...

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Most of the men have hunted. One just blew me away how well he shot. I took him hunting with me to the CA mountains, and he loved it. Too bad there is not more game in the mountains. Sometime mule deer hunting is just tough!

B
B
Neighbors on one side are South African. Salt of the earth folks, very family oriented, and know how to cook meat. Braais are wonderful with each man bringing a poitjie pot with him to share his family recipe for slow-cooked meat...all while putting away some beer and/or bourbon. He recently invited me over to make some biltong. Good folks...

Neighbors on the other side are a German and Armenian. He, the German, witnessed the liberation of Germany and later joined the US Army. She, the Armenian, lost her grandparents (before her time) in the Armenian genocide and fled Egypt with her parents as the country became less friendly toward Coptic Christians. I had a shadow box made for him with some of his Army memorabilia in it and he got all teary-eyed...so we drank until he felt better.

It's like living in an Olympic village here and I love it.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Badger Matt
Neighbors on one side are South African. Salt of the earth folks, very family oriented, and know how to cook meat. Braais are wonderful with each man bringing a poitjie pot with him to share his family recipe for slow-cooked meat...all while putting away some beer and/or bourbon. He recently invited me over to make some biltong. Good folks...

Neighbors on the other side are a German and Armenian. He, the German, witnessed the liberation of Germany and later joined the US Army. She, the Armenian, lost her grandparents (before her time) in the Armenian genocide and fled Egypt with her parents as the country became less friendly toward Coptic Christians. I had a shadow box made for him with some of his Army memorabilia in it and he got all teary-eyed...so we drank until he felt better.

It's like living in an Olympic village here and I love it.

Thanks for sharing. I really cherish my Afrikaan neighbors and friends. They are great people.

I also work with Armenians. They do not like Turks much though.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I got to know one years ago and she had become proud American. She stressed the need to protect America's sovereignty and independent nature. This will ruffle some feathers but she stressed to keep everything that is American and resist conforming to what the rest of the world wants. An example is the metric system. Her feelings are to resist it at all cost. She said that our "rebellion" (American Revolution) made us different and special and we should keep it that way. Crazy huh?

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We have a few here and they seem to be very decent people.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hopefully we will see more here. That country has gone to hell since '94 and going downhill fast.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
really good pard lives with a South Afrikker in Denver

guess Nina is a good girl, she puts up with Smoke

we used to have clients here Winnie was a lawyer and her hubby (dang have forgot his name, Juan, Jan something like that) was an engineer. Super nice folks

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MColeman

I agree that Badger is a great guy. I really enjoyed meeting him at the 700 Springs Ranch hunt a few years ago. The South African style sausage that he brought was amazing.
And he is the "Official" Campfire African American.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Originally Posted by MColeman

I agree that Badger is a great guy. I really enjoyed meeting him at the 700 Springs Ranch hunt a few years ago. The South African style sausage that he brought was amazing.
And he is the "Official" Campfire African American.

I find the use of another country before "American" odd, here an Australian that is from India, China, America, Britian, etc, is simply an Australian.

Anyone wishing to make a distinction will call them a "___" c_nt (or similar), but first and foremost they are not just referred to as " ___ Australian"...they are Australian.

And once they become Australian they belong to us, not another country.

It is the lot that don't become Australian that are the problem.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not just a great American? Was he born in Africa and then moved here or was he born in America? Aren't we all Americans?

Last edited by mtnsnake; 05/08/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's the token African American because he's white.
It's levity and I think Alan thinks it's funny too.
If you don't get it,well... I don't know what to tell you.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
A few years ago I met some of the gents, they where working for custom harvester and farmers. Nice guys and they had interesting stories to share about the good old days.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It is a funny thing. Everywhere I have been in the world ones nationality is defined by their passport, their citizenship. In the State's when you ask one their nationality they will often reply with where their family came from when they left for the US four generations ago. Quite common in the small town of "Italians" I grew up with.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A group of us used to gather at Port Eads at the mouth of the Mississippi each summer for a week of offshore fishing, beer drinking, and eating. A friend from S. Africa was usually there, always brought along a buddy from there. All were good people, and gave us much insight about their country and it's political climate. One year they brought what they said was the "National Drink" of South Africa - a Dark & Stormy, made I think with ginger beer and 151 proof rum. I remember having one (or so) at the top of the old Port Eads Lighthouse, built by the French in the 1800's, around dusk one evening. Even with decent weather, it made for a very dark and stormy night!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (1234, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,418
Posts18,528,245
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.