-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just picked up a can to try on one of my rifles that seems to pick up a little too much copper on the lands. What has been your experience with this product and any suggestions for using it for the first time?

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Seems to work OK for me, but next time buy a can of wipe out...an even better product.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Considerably less effective than Wipeout.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Considerably less effective than Wipeout.

That has been my experience, too.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input, I used it last night on one of my rifles, and yes it worked but I was not too impressed.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Try some JB compound.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ain't tried wipeout, but have used the foaming bore cleaner. It works well, but you have to put a fired case in the chamber and work the hose in from the muzzle, else it can and will squirt out the chamber end and it will remove some finishes, so be careful.

OTOH, I seem to recall Jim Scouten really loves it, so there is that.......

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What was not impressive?

I've been using it for a while and LOVE it, but I came from using Hoppe's copper solvent so I admit to the possibility that I'm easy to impress.

Based upon the experienced people here saying Wipe Out is significantly better I'm gonna try that.

Thinking I'll go the short route around the barn next winter & run UBC down my foulers. Wipe Out will likely come in handy when preppin bores for that, too.

Thanks all,

Efw

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Messy, although folks have figured out various doo-dads to compensate. Last resort for me. Once I've "Wipe'd Out" a barrel or done the JB thing, KB products work well for maintenance. Shooter's Choice after the KB / KROIL routine if copper is stubborn works for me. Gunslick was my first experience, then actual Wipe Out. For me, Patch Out would be next (but doubt I'll ever need it.) Enthusiasts are likely to have gotten down to clean before regular/maintenance use...

2 cents

Last edited by agazain; 05/08/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by iambrb
ain't tried wipeout, but have used the foaming bore cleaner. It works well, but you have to put a fired case in the chamber and work the hose in from the muzzle, else it can and will squirt out the chamber end and it will remove some finishes, so be careful.

Works cleaner for me if you insert the hose into the chamber, seems to seal around case neck area pretty good with little foam going into the chamber. Stand the gun on the muzzle for time period, then run a bare rod down to the chamber & add patch to pull foam out the muzzle on guns you can't run the rod in from the bolt.

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by senior
Originally Posted by iambrb

Works cleaner for me if you insert the hose into the chamber, seems to seal around case neck area pretty good with little foam going into the chamber. Stand the gun on the muzzle for time period, then run a bare rod down to the chamber & add patch to pull foam out the muzzle on guns you can't run the rod in from the bolt.

^ Precisely what I do; haven't had issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same. It works extremely well, IME. The new stuff is about as effective as WO, from what I've seen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Same. It works extremely well, IME. The new stuff is about as effective as WO, from what I've seen.

I used Wipe Out first then tried the Gunslick

The Gunslick works just as good if not better IMO

Has a better applicator, works faster

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pain in the neck to use on 22's - frigging hose won't seal at all. But on my centerfires I use it and it works quite well on my rifles. Haven't tried WipeOut, so can't compare.

I always insert the nozzle in the chamber, but also do the not so complicated expedient of putting a Kleenex behind the nozzle to catch any spillage. Found it will discolor the brass rotors in Savage 99's if it gets on it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I use it and like it, I haven't tried WO, just because none of the local places carry it, but the gunslick has been my go to for a couple of years.

I use a MTM bore guide and spray it in the bore guide until it comes out the muzzle.

It seems to work well on copper but I often use some hoppies first to get powder fouling out.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bud and I used it on a mil-surp kar98. It cleaned all the way down to bare metal.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi to all, I deceided to do a second application using the suggestions from those that responded. Got the bore squeaky clean with all traces of copper streaking on the lands GONE! I was looking for more blue on the patches that got pushed through. Also got out some powder fouling the in the grooves which really suprised me since I also clean with Hoppes which I have found to be a good powder solvent. Anyway, anxious to go on and shoot this Savage 110 in 250-3000 it had always been a tight .5 MOA shooter before the copper robbed its accuracy. Thanks to All,

300 Savage

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It doesn't work as well as Wipeout for me. Outers makes a foaming cleaner that is almost as good as Wipeout.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like wipeout better.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 204guy, 222Sako, 160user, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,527
Posts18,491,115
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.