Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#8846574 05/08/14
Winnie Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's still Archery season for turkey here, I still have my upland and hunting license so I thought I would go out tomorrow morning.

Can not find my range finder and it's been six months since I even looked at a bow so I wouldn't feel good going out with it. It's just a $200 Nikon but I still have to find a decent vehicle to purchase.

Which is another thing... Impossible to get a loan since I am just starting out in life and I don't make enough to have saved up for a decent truck..

I'm more stressed here than I was at Lackland...

Dang.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chill pard. Patience will be your friend through this.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing I've slowly learned (and still struggle with), it is much easier to get into debt than to get out of debt. It is by far best to be patient and save up for what you want.

Winnie Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
One thing I've slowly learned (and still struggle with), it is much easier to get into debt than to get out of debt. It is by far best to be patient and save up for what you want.

I am due to drive out to Cheyenne in 21 days.

Dang.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Take a bus if you need too...be patient Winnie.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i didn't own a vehicle for the first year i was in the AF. i saved my money and bought a bike and then a car. they probably still have the Lemon Lot on most bases where guys go to sell cars. because a lot of guys PCS overseas where they can't take a car, you can get some deals. be patient. get acclimated to your first permanent duty station and barracks life. you don't need a car on base.

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Congratulations on your graduation. Don't sweat the stuff that seems like not so small stuff.

Like one of the other posters said, don't be afraid to hook yourself up with grayhound or a rail service.

Patience will really pay off right now.

CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r
i didn't own a vehicle for the first year i was in the AF. i saved my money and bought a bike and then a car. they probably still have the Lemon Lot on most bases where guys go to sell cars. because a lot of guys PCS overseas where they can't take a car, you can get some deals. be patient. get acclimated to your first permanent duty station and barracks life. you don't need a car on base.

Don't know when you were last on a Post or Base but in Alaska Elmendorf/Richardson the BX/PX was a good 8 miles from the Army Barracks and the same for the Airforce barracks so a car is defiantly needed you can rely on the post shuttle as well. I have been to Petersen AFB here in Colorado the BX is [bleep] a good 10 miles from the Barracks. Here on Ft Carson the PX is more centrally located. But avoid the car lots outside the front gates with 20% interest rates. Get to Wyoming save some cash you will be okay. I will also add most posts/bases have shuttles to get you to the BX/PX.

Last edited by 79S; 05/08/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S #8846892 05/08/14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are getting some GOOD advice here. As in save up and STAY OUT OF DEBT! One paycheck can buy you a car that runs OK.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Winnie

I am due to drive out to Cheyenne in 21 days.

Dang.

Man your base pay as a E3 is$1800 a month laugh when I joined back in 98 my base pay as E1 was $900 a month.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B3

79S #8847092 05/08/14
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
in 68 I got $49 every two weeks and the wife got a hundred bucks the end of the month.

I was married with one kid before I bought a car.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
79S #8847105 05/08/14
C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I would definitely second staying away from any car lot near post. They will finance anyone for interest rates that would make the mob look good. Once had a soldier that went that route and signed a note with 27% interest. Managed to talk em into voiding it after I found out the day after, but it took everything from appealing to their non-existent decency to threats of bodily harm.
Not sure how Air Force bases work but every post I've ever been on had a lemon lot. Also there will be lots of joes with cars in the barracks already. Never had any problems way back when I was a young'un getting a ride.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My pay as an E-3 in 1960 was less than 100 bucks a month, and I had been in the AF for over 3 years before I got any kind of car, so no sympathy here. grin

Go Greyhound, get settled, get a feel of what's going on in Cheyenne, don't jump in and get a junker. Try to save up some bucks for a good down payment on a decent rig.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bought my first car at 15-16 with a job at a bowling ally at I think .60 to .70 cents per hour.

listen to these guys when you get there buy a pedel bike keep in shape in 6-8 months buy a small car outright year or so after that buy something more desirable ,paycash.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Don't forget the cost of insurance. No insurance, no decal to get on base.

Last edited by kend; 05/08/14.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Bingo. Listen to the man on this. Sage, excellent advice that will serve you well throughout life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll pile on with everyone else.

Living by two large bases, I can't tell you how many young guys I see completely screwing up their finances, credit, and lives.

Seems every damn one buys a new car and gets married. 5 years later, their credit is toast, getting divorced and are saddled with child support and alimony.

Lots of predatory bullchit surrounding military bases. Businesses and bitches both.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you get to where you are going pay attention to who the knuckle heads are and avoid them like the plague! Don't go flashing cash in front of other joes up in AK a airman killed another airman over 10grand beat him to death with a hammer. Be careful first few months don't trust to many folks. Stay AWAY from the local girls most are looking for a one way ticket out of the trailer park! They will tell you anything you want to hear. I used to give joes that speech in huachuca all the time. Not saying anything wrong with having fun but don't go falling in love. I been in16yrs I seen everything I mean everything!

79S #8847174 05/08/14
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I Forgot I don't care how broke you are avoid those advance pay places like omni I tell you those places need to be outlawed. When I was a private single we lived in the chow hall very rarely did we eat out. Air Force has nice chow halls and pretty good chow.

79S #8847501 05/09/14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can't swing a loan at this time, buy a beater. There's nothing wrong with swallowing your pride and driving an old well worn vehicle for a while till you get on your feet. I was into my 20's before I took a loan out on a car. My first beater was a 68 Catalina. You could have square danced in the trunk on that monster, and what I wouldn't give to have that big 400 in something today.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.