Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What is the opinion around here on this pack. I just got a fair deal on one and I like how it feels but have not used it yet.
I switched from a Badlands 4500.
The weight is a bit heavy but it is built like a tank.
I did the search function and came up with nothing.
I am also looking for a sub 3 lb. sleeping bag rated at 10-15 degrees
Thanks

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
GB1

C
C
No experience with the crew cab, although it is on my list for the future. Picked up the longbow a short while back and think the world of it. I worried about the usual complaints with Mystery Ranch at first, heavy and no load lifters. I suppose compared to other day packs 6.5 lbs is heavy, but considering I can sandwich an elk shoulder or more between the pack and frame I'd say the extra weight is a very small matter. As for the load lifters, I picked up a set of the MR add on lifters that I just keep between the frame and bag. If I ever need them I can just attach them properly. This is all my plan of course. Just got the setup a few months ago so I haven't really been able to put it to use. I'm interested to hear how you like the crew cab.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The NICE suspension is still my favorite after using Kifaru, MR, and Stone Glacier. No lightweight but still a great hunting pack.

The Valandre Mirage will get you under 15* for less than two pounds. Western Mountaineering has more options in that temp range and is also fantastic.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Crew Cab is a jack of all trades master of none. It is heavy for a day pack and it would be nearly impossible to go 10 days out of it. But it fills the middle niche very nicely, as long as you keep that in mind, it is a dandy.

Always use you head when you load it up and it will be comfy. Close to your body and up is you friend, don�t let it go low and out away from your back like it wants to do with some loads.

It will certainly outlast about every other pack out there. It will be like day and night compared to the Badlands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Crewcab is a cool pack. Maybe look into their new load lifter kit that attaches to the yolk- it looks like a really worthwhile upgrade.

Tanner

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
Close to your body and up is you friend, don�t let it go low and out away from your back like it wants to do with some loads.

Absolutely true. It will drag your hips down big time if you let it with truly heavy loads.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am thinking about the load lifter add on for mine. However since you are going to Alaska you could get some for yours and do a nice write up when you get back smile

Lefty

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Snowy knows, as does Dink.

My girlfriend is buying a Mirage this week. I'm also a fan of the NICE. I used the CC hard for 4 years, great utility pack. I use the longbow now on dayhunts - the Metcalf for longer trips, and own a 6500 if I were to be going on a REALLY long one.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Marmot Helium is another option for a light bag. REI has sales about once/year where they knock $100 or so off the price.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The Marmot Helium was on sale for $259 last week at Sierra Trading post without the need for a coupon. Might still be. I tried adding one of their usual 30% off coupons, but they don't apply to the Marmot bags. It's a good bag and at that price point a great value.

Last edited by strawman; 04/24/14.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by strawman
The Marmot Helium was on sale for $259 last week at Sierra Trading post without the need for a coupon. Might still be. I tried adding one of their usual 30% off coupons, but they don't apply to the Marmot bags. It's a good bag and at that price point a great value.

I tried the same thing. I'm still hoping a workable coupon will be issued soon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
I am thinking about the load lifter add on for mine. However since you are going to Alaska you could get some for yours and do a nice write up when you get back smile

Lefty

Lefty, I'll be using a Stone Glacier and Barney's Pinnacle up there.

After Greenhorn learned me how to pack the Crewcab without expanding the big pocket, it proved to be a sweet daypack. This is 3/4 of a bone in muley. Greehorn and Dinkshooter have had wayyy more in theirs...

[Linked Image]

Tanner

S
sjr Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Just put the Oneiros Valley load lifter unit on my Crew Cab Best $40.00 I ever spent turns a good pack into a great pack .
Still trying to find a great sleeping bag under 3lbs for a 0 rated bag under 2 1/2 lbs

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the responses. Mine came with the load lifter and load cells. I took the lift kit off and packed it in the water bladder pocket. pretty quick to install if I am coming out heavy. It just looked weird in daypack mode. The weight of the pack is about the same as the badlands but it seems this is so much better designed.
I will look into the Marmot Helium. I currently have a Big Agnes encampment it is OK but always trying to upgrade.
thanks again for your opinions
Tanner Nice Buck! I would appreciate it if you could pm the details of packing without opening up the big pocket. Not sure if I understand that.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sjr
Just put the Oneiros Valley load lifter unit on my Crew Cab Best $40.00 I ever spent turns a good pack into a great pack .
Still trying to find a great sleeping bag under 3lbs for a 0 rated bag under 2 1/2 lbs

Valandre Shocking Blue will get you well under 0* for 3 lbs. The FF Snow Bunting is a 0* for 2.8 lbs. I don't know if they do it anymore, but FF used to use a different outer fabric if requested. You could get under 2.5 lbs. easily if you replaced their pertex shield ex (which is pretty heavy) with Microlight, Quantum, or even Epic.

The PHD Hispar (and a few others of his) gets you under 0* for 2.2 lbs, but they don't come cheap. Hispar 600

Last edited by SnowyMountaineer; 04/25/14. Reason: Forgot about PHD
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I to have ordered a stone glacier..but I am keeping the crew cab.I like the way it can be configured for different task. Sort of a super day pack. Have packjed out al,l kinds off odd shaped stuff fdrom sheds to wood for making crafts.

It does want to slide down with weight and the load lifters might help that.

Lefty

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well I sprung for a Marmot helium from Sierra Trading post $259 was a good price for that bag. I will let you guys know how it goes.
I am going to be doing some training with weight so I am going to install the lift kit and put some weight on.

Last edited by cowkiller; 04/29/14.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Marmot Helium arrived and It is just too tight of a fit for me. Sending it back. I will stick with the Big Agnes if I have to.
I am kinda of looking at the western mountaineering "badger"

Keeping the Crew Cab but picked up a MR 6500 as well. with a load sling and these 2 set ups I should be good to go.

C
C
Cowkiller, have you had a chance to put the crew cab through its paces yet? I am looking at picking one up soon and would like to know what you think. Like I said I have the longbow and really like it, but I see a use for the CC too. I just want a little extra info before I make that jump and spend the money. My wife won't be angry with me but she has a mean eye roll.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I had it loaded with 60 lbs and did seven miles. I slid two 25 lb. Dumbbells into the area between the side pockets when it is folded up. Tied them together and up high. I think keep the weight up high is a good idea with this pack. I knew I had some weight but the pack performed great. The whole concept of use with load cells fits my needs perfectly. My sleeping bag and mattress fit in one load cell. Food in another and clothing in the large one. plenty of pockets for hunting gear in the pack it self. Pull the load cells at camp,cinch it down and go hunt. I can see this set up as the perfect pack for up to 5 days out. I would think a resupply would be needed after that.
I Have not used the "lift Kit"yet I have read some reports about the MR packs being too heavy and I agree they are heavier than some...BUT they are built strong and durable and that is very important to me.
I have a goal of Hauling 100 lbs. to the top of my local training Mt. on my 60th birthday this is the pack I am going to do it with. So far I have found it quite comfortable and this pack is very versatile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 222ND, 160user, 21, 260madman, 47 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,357
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.