Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Mount Bierstadt is a beautiful hike that's not too difficult and it's right there too.

huntsonora:

What a misleading statement. Yes, Mt Bierdstadt is beautiful, it is close to Guanella Pass and it's an easy day-hike to the summit. But you have to go through the infamous willows on the way. I've climbed it three times when I was younger. I must have been out of my mind. BTW that's also a good place to hunt ptarmigan.

I'll meet you in the parking lot at the Pass at 09:00AM on the 17th.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to try to work out so I can go on this day as well. I'm interested in seeing the area. I'm a little concerned about recreational use in the area - there seem to be a lot of parking areas and the sat photos show a lot of cars in parking lots. I'd love to get into a more alpine setting than last year and have the opportunity to do a little fishing as well.

huntsonora - Where exactly is the area you are targeting?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I'm going to try to work out so I can go on this day as well. I'm interested in seeing the area. I'm a little concerned about recreational use in the area - there seem to be a lot of parking areas and the sat photos show a lot of cars in parking lots. I'd love to get into a more alpine setting than last year and have the opportunity to do a little fishing as well.

huntsonora - Where exactly is the area you are targeting?

Its on the backside of Guanella Pass down on Geneva Creek and its a beautiful campsite in an alpine setting. You'll like it. Guanella is a 20 minute drive or so from there

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC
Mount Bierstadt is a beautiful hike that's not too difficult and it's right there too.

huntsonora:

What a misleading statement. Yes, Mt Bierdstadt is beautiful, it is close to Guanella Pass and it's an easy day-hike to the summit. But you have to go through the infamous willows on the way. I've climbed it three times when I was younger. I must have been out of my mind. BTW that's also a good place to hunt ptarmigan.

I'll meet you in the parking lot at the Pass at 09:00AM on the 17th.

KC

Sounds good! I'll PM you my cell number

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not gonna make it this weekend. A buddy just gifted me two tickets behind the dugout for Saturday's Rockies game. I look forward to hearing what you guys find.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 05/12/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sounds good. Keep us posted.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not gonna make it this weekend. A buddy just gifted me two tickets behind the dugout for Saturday's Rockies game. I look forward to hearing what you guys find.

Yeah, I would jump on those tickets too. Sorry you can't make it. Huntsonora and I will take some photos and post them for everyone to see.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Today I drove up to Geneva Creek. That's the area that huntsonora suggested. The pass was closed so huntsonora couldn't make it from the north. I drove up from the south. BTW I haven't bothered to set the calendar on my camera so don't let the dates confuse you.

Saw some buffalo along the way.
[Linked Image]

The mountains were glorious.
[Linked Image]

This is the first view that you see of the area.
[Linked Image]

There's a forest service corral open to the public. So it's convenient to bring horses or mules.
[Linked Image]

There are a couple dozen good camping spots that generally resemble this one.
[Linked Image]

Another representative example of the camping spots.
[Linked Image]

This a beautiful area just like huntsonora said. It would be great to hold the gathering there. However, it has advantages and disadvantages. It's pretty accessible. Drive I-70 to Georgetown and then south up over Guanella Pass. Then continue south about four miles to Geneva Creek. Pretty good roads all the way. There's a nice creek there and a 4x4 road that goes way up into the valley to an old mine.

The disadvantage of this spot is that we won't have it to ourselves. There were already three camps setup for the weekend. We could definitely count on there being others campers competing for spots and they might also get upset if we setup a range and started shooting.

I still want to check out the spot that WyColoCowboy suggested.

KC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am hoping/looking forward to coming up this summer - have never been to one of your CO gatherings and do not want to barge in with presumptuous "info". Should posit, however, that the several Campfire meets we have enjoyed big time had zero neighbors to be concerned about (no neighbors to be concerned about us!) and so the shooting, cameraderie, etc. went down easily and enjoyably.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
KC -- Thanks for going up, and after the Rockies piss-poor performance yesterday, I chose poorly... lol

That does look like a beautiful area, but I share your concern about traffic and activity in the area. When you look at Satellite photos all the parking areas are full of cars.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm going backpacking for a week. I'll get in touch when I get back.

KC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KC -- Thanks for going up, and after the Rockies piss-poor performance yesterday, I chose poorly... lol

That does look like a beautiful area, but I share your concern about traffic and activity in the area. When you look at Satellite photos all the parking areas are full of cars.

That parking areas on the pass are 20+ minute drive from the camping area but there will be others camping in those campgrounds I'm sure.

Glad you made it up KC! Sorry I couldn't meet you there and looking forward to what else y'all find

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

That parking areas on the pass are 20+ minute drive from the camping area but there will be others camping in those campgrounds I'm sure.

Glad you made it up KC! Sorry I couldn't meet you there and looking forward to what else y'all find

Gotta admit -- I'm a lot jealous about KC going backpacking for a week... I need some of that...

[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F

"KC" and "huntsonora"......"Thank you" for your time, gas, and etc.......all used during your scouting trip to Guanella Pass area.

It's much appreciated by a bunch of people!

Good show!!!

FjLee Denver CO

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm back, but only for a short while. I'm going to hike the Rainbow Trail from Poncha Pass to the Medano Pass Road, 83 miles, 14 nights. I'm breaking it up into three trips. You think that might take some of the weight off of my belly????

We still need to settle on an area for the gathering. I think Geneva Creek, even though it's a real pretty place, is out because there will be too many other people.

We could go to the same spot as last year. There was nothing wrong with that spot, just not as pretty as some. Might be prettier this year with all the snow and rain. Man everything is green wherever I go.

Or we could go to the spot that WyColoCowboy suggested. Can we get some current photos of the area? Maybe GPS coordinates so we can look on Google Earth?

I'll be leaving tomorrow afternoon and won't be back for about three weeks.

KC

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think that KSalonek has pics of the area from our elk hunt last fall. I'll see if he can post some.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lat 40� 8'14.22"N

Long 106�36'18.64"W

This exact spot doesn't have to be it. Lots of areas around it where there is space.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How can I transfer those coordinates to google earth?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Copy and paste this into the Google Earth Search bar:

40� 8'14.22"N
106�36'18.64"W

[Linked Image]
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the looks of that spot. Not too far to go for the Denver people or guys north of there. A little farther than last year for us guys in Colorado Springs. But it looks like prettier country. So it's worth the travel time. The USGS map shows a Rock Creek and some beaver ponds.

Is all that light green stuff willows or grass?

What's your guess regarding other campers?

KC

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,114
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.