Page 17 of 36 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 35 36
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
But a 22" .270 will run 150s at 2900.... that's makes it equal to a 162 at 3k.

Of course according to some here, but in reality if you have the 270 combo you will be considered gay and people will have doubts about you. On the other hand the 7mm mag combo will allow you to do less with more and that gives the libs ammo to beat you with. Myself I'm just going to make sure I only shoot my 270 and 7 mm Remington Magnum where I can't be seen by the public. The OP needs to get off his butt buy both, use them, gain some personal experience and come to his OWN conclusions based on HIS own experience. Magnum Man

Hey azzclown, I've been hunting with the .270 for the last decade. Its all I used last year. I already said I owned a 7 mag model 70 but have never hunted it. I sold it to a relative. I get a kick out of guys like you who think internet forums aren't for questions. This has been a damn good thread so wise up.

Wise up?

I bought my first M700 ADL 7mm Rem Mag when I was 15 in the summer of 1970 LNIB with RCBS dies R-P and WW brass with 2 100 ct boxes of 175 gr WW RN's for $125. I replaced the barrel on it in Sept of 2012 3000+ rds in 42 years. 120 gr Hornadies & NBT's , 125 gr RP's ,139 gr Hornady SP's & BTSP's , 140 gr Nosler Solid bases & NPT's, 150 R-P Corelokts and 150 gr NPT's, 160 NPT's & Sierras,168 gr BTHP Sierras, 175 Gr RN WW's, 175 gr Hornady SP, NPTs and NOT 1 factory load thru the barrel while I shot the 1 st barrel off it. Antelope, Whitetail deer, Mule deer, 1 mountain goat and more than a few coyotes fell to it, as solid a experience base as one can come up with. In 1987 I picked up a M700 ADL in 270 Winchester. I haven't shot the barrel off it yet but I have used it to good execution for 26 yrs on Mule deer , whitetails, antelope, and coyotes. During this time frame their have been other 7 mm Remington Mags in my safe as well as 3 other 270's that all got some action in bloodletting.
Yet YOU with a whole decade of 270 use and NONE at all with the 7 mm Rem Mag of experience. You start this thread hoping you can find enough other posters to rubber stamp all your preconceived idea's as gospel as well as badmouth the 7 mm Remington Magnum which you have ZERO personal experience with. YOU ARE the one who asked for opinions as to why Petzal doesn't like the 7 mm Mag , not me, I stated he got old and can't handle the recoil anymore and wrote the article to piss on the 7 mm Mag as well as promote the 7-08. Before one makes intelligent decisions on what works and what doesn't you need to experience them yourself, not just rely on others to provide you with data to make a sound decision. Yet atleast once in this thread you tried to act as a moderator and come up with a conclusion that there is no difference in how the 2 cartridges perfom. Total bullsh*t from you as well as your thinking who is qualified to express an opinion on the subject as well.

Azzclown ,
next time you label someone an AZZCLOWN be very sure you look in the mirror first so you know what one looks like and read your posts out loud so you know what one sounds like. YOU have a nice day. Magnum Man

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 05/09/14.
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Don't Know where Ingwe is, but once he see's this thread I am sure he will run out and get a .270.
He's buying one right now. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by stringnut

That being said I don't think any one here would give up hunting if limited to either the 270 or 7mm.

If someone came crying that he didn't kill some worthy game animal because all he had was a 270, I'm not going to look at the cartridge as the problem.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You're a whole hell of alot older than me. Maybe when I'm an old man like you I'll know everything too and never have to ask questions?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who was it who said, '"bullets boolits matter more than head stamps'... smile

(And shot placement trumps all)

To Jordan's point, while I agree technology is awesome and we are living in the good 'ole days, my experience has shown the vast majority of people do NOT rise to the potential of their equipment. They just plain suck and seem content to stay that way. Obviously, most rifle shooting loonys are a different proposition...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Over time people improve as their equipment allows. It takes time, but it happens.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You must have better shooters up there or at least people who WANT to be better! smile

The people at our range make me shudder and weep for the game animals they'll be 'hunting'!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This thread is just 33 more pages of another cartridge compared to the 270 Winchester.....that should tell us something.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MojoHand

To Jordan's point, while I agree technology is awesome and we are living in the good 'ole days, my experience has shown the vast majority of people do NOT rise to the potential of their equipment. They just plain suck and seem content to stay that way. Obviously, most rifle shooting loonys are a different proposition...

Mojo that's what I was thinking about Jordan's comment.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
This thread is just 33 more pages of another cartridge compared to the 270 Winchester.....that should tell us something.

Maybe someday we'll have a society of equality where .270 shooters will be accepted for who they are--no matter what goes on in the privacy of their gun safe.

Just, hopefully, not while I'm alive! laugh

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by moosemike
You're a whole hell of alot older than me. Maybe when I'm an old man like you I'll know everything too and never have to ask questions?

I am only 59, I don't know everything, the forum is supposed to be a place to learn from others as well as add to your knowledge of their experience. Occasionally you have to discount some because of doubts to it's validity. Sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. I have no doubts about your success on whitetails in Penn. with a M760 in 270 and dead is dead. There is no deader or less deader, if you shoot your game and it falls fast enough that your tag ends up on it without a hassle good enuf. I traded for a 7600 in 30-06 this winter to experience it in the heavily wooded environs of the Black Hills of SD. I do my damndest to not ever hunt in a crowded area an option I'm sure you don't very likely have in Penn. I just wanted to experience the pump gun and it's inherent qualities. Most of my hunting has given me the luxury of using a long barreled bolt gun with whatever I wanted it chambered in, to my advantage. One size does not fit all. My posts usually contain a certain amount of levity and dry at best. We can still drink a beer together and shoot the sh*t sometime and both enjoy it. Magnum man

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by MojoHand

Mojo that's what I was thinking about Jordan's comment.

You guys must be surrounded by the laggards of society grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm still diggin' the 1.5" less wind drift at 400 yards with the 7RM for only 30% more recoil. And, some rifle manufacturers will give you 2-4" of extry barrel for free with a 7RM compared to a 270 Win with 22" barrel! I'll take the free barrel steel over a 22" handy-dandy rifle anyday, but my safe doesn't seem to like 26" barrels. Stupid rifle safe.

Something to think about...

Last month I helped a buddy with his T3 in 7RM. He wanted to shoot the 150gr NPT. We found a very accurate load at ~2950fps, but had to exceed published loads to get there. Since accuracy was outstanding, and we wanted to limit our adventures beyond book loads, we stopped there.

So he has a 7RM that's shooting at 270 Win velocities. That's not a big deal to him, and pretty reasonable for me. We could add more powder, but that's not where we want to go. He could also try another powder and/or bullet but he's done. He's going to shoot the crap outta that rifle with a stockpile of bullets, powder, and primers. And he's not interested in the AMAX, at all, and I can't convince him otherwise.

Now consider this...

I had a T3 in 270 Win shooting the 140gr NAB at ~2950fps. Never killed a critter with that rifle or load, but I can say for certain that it had noticeably less recoil than my bud's T3 in 7RM. Maybe because of 14gr less powder and 10gr less bullet? I'd say that my 270 could more than hang with that 7RM load... I know, I know... we could make an uber-7RM load... and that is what I would do but not everyone wants a match bullet for hunting (like my friend).

The recoil from the T3 in 7RM was not unbearable, but I did a bunch of shooting with the T3 in 270W at 500y and beyond and it was obnoxious after 10 rounds from prone, for me. I think its safe to say that the 7RM would be worse. The T3 is a nice rifle to carry, but excessive recoil from prone probably isn't good for those wanting to shoot a lot to maintain proficiency from field positions? If the solution for joe-average is to carry a heavier rifle, during a hunt that can last days or weeks to fire one or two rounds, that seems like a schitty trade-off unless he's needing a dedicated medium-to-longrange rig.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the 7RM isn't the better LR hunting cartridge, but for the average-joe at the average range, the 270W has always seemed like a baby-magnum. It'll give a flat enough trajectory to use with a duplex out to 400y in a 22" barrel rifle of reasonable weight.

Seems like we need a new thread entitled, "The 7RM spanks the 270W at longrange, can I get an AMEN!" Also seems that the only thing holding the 270 back is the lack of more high-BC bullets.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/09/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Great post 4th Point (of contact?)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're the first to catch that.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 4th_point
You're the first to catch that.

I've attended a pre-jump or two, and I've been told quite often that I had my head up my 4th point on numerous occasions as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was thinking sword or dagger point. Easy to spot the 4th then count from there to size up a 6x6, 6x7, etc. But... those with jump training think otherwise!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Also seems that the only thing holding the 270 back is the lack of more high-BC bullets.

Jason

The .270 Win is a great cartridge. But to say there is no difference between the performance of it and the 7RM is just plain not telling the whole story.

The only thing that differentiates any cartridge from another, is the bullets available, the twist to stabilize those bullets, and the ability to push them fast enough to be effective.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear the 7em em flies straight for about 800 yards. Of course it's still risin' the first 400 or so.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will definitely shoot flat. I sighted in my 7mm RM at 400 yards and IIRC it had an 8" mid range trajectory. That is definitely flat, and that was with a plain old 150 grain Nosler Partition. It would probably shoot a mite flatter with one of today's high BC wonder bullets.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 17 of 36 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,160
Posts18,523,489
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.