Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dingmo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Ok fellow lefties - thinking I need a good all around shotgun for birds (doves, pheasant, turkey) that might also be able to shoot some slugs for deer. Have an 870 slug gun now, but no screw-in chokes (needed for birds).

I'd consider 12 or 20GA. What would you recommend and why?

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you have the funds, then I would go with a lefty Benelli SBE II and be done with it. You can buy an aftermarket rifled choke for slugs for deer season. If you want something a little cheaper, then buy the Benelli M2, you give up the ability to shoot 3 1/2" shells with the M2 and that may or may not be important to you. Gunbroker always has a few listed or I've found that Gander Mountain will usually have some lefty Benelli's on the shelf.

If you took the deer slug gun issue off the table and wanted an O/U, then Browning makes a few models in the Citori line with the stock "Cast On" and the palm swell correct for those of us in our right minds.

The Browning BPS is a bottom eject that is great for a lefty as well.

Everyone will have different opinions and you have to find what works for you. As a lefty that went down this same path a couple of years ago, these are the conclusioons I came to in my search for a lefty shotgun.

Send... bill... to... Big... Enos... Burdette. Burdette.. B... B-U-R... B-E-R... B... Hell, I got to go.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I shouldered a Citori 725 (not a left handed model) recently and it fit me perfect. Closed my eyes and brought it up, opened the eyes and the beads were lined up perfectly. The 725 is near the top of the list for when (if) I finally buy my first shotgun.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by SOUTHPAWARMORY
If you have the funds, then I would go with a lefty Benelli SBE II and be done with it.

If you have the funds, this ^^^^^^^ And if funds are tight, then you could do what I did, keep your eyes open for a clean used LH SBE I at a reasonable price...

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I have the LH Benelli M2(12 ga), the BPS(16 ga) and the 725(not LH but adjustable comb) as well as a standard Citori(12ga).

The Benelli is fine for hunting birds and sporting clays with lighter 1 oz or 7/8 oz loads, but is a real - itch with turkey loads(not a big fan of "manly" recoiling loads). Light weight and easy to carry means more recoil.

Browning advertises that their stocks are "neutral" for both left and right handed shooters- some are, some are not! If you can try the gun before purchase, the you can make sure the stock fits you, and stock fit is critical for a shotgun since your eye is the rear sight. If your rear sight is not in the right place, you will not shoot that gun well. My BPS, 725, and standard Citori fit me well, but I have tried others that did not fit well.

You can get a slug barrel for both the BPS and the Benelli, but they are not cheap, especially the Benelli!

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was not aware of the Browning BPS. How is the quality? I need a shotgun for hunting turkeys on our property in Tennessee.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have the BPS with a rifled barrel. I think the quality is great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a shotgun, fit is everything. (okay, it's 99% but all the other factors are crammed into that last 1%).

The main thing for a leftie to watch out for is that many shotguns will have a small amount of cast off which is the exact opposite of what a southpaw needs. That's particularly true in older doubles which were actually made the way they should be, if you're right handed. wink

The Remington 870 and 1100 are neutral in that regard and both fit me perfectly. The Benellis I've shouldered also seem to fit perfectly - i.e., they line up exactly where they should be when mounted quickly. Brownings on the other hand, whether Citoris or the BPS will have me looking down the right side of the barrel but that's just for me. Others will find that a Browning fits them as it should.

To answer your question, any decent shotgun is going to work - Remington (I'd look for an older one), Browning, Benelli, Ithaca, whatever. But you will need to try a lot of them personally to see which one fits you - that will be the best shotgun for your needs.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The best pump gun for a Lefty is the Browning BPS in 16 ga or 20 ga.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I plan on looking at the BPS Stalker in 12 ga as it accepts 3.5 inch shells as well which could come in handy for geese and turkeys.

How is the feeding on these? Do they really handle anything from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 without any issues?

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bea175
The best pump gun for a Lefty is the Browning BPS in 16 ga or 20 ga.

BPS's are just wonderful - excellent quality for the price (better than an 870 Express IMHO).

I had an early trap gun in the late 80's but sold it when I gave up the game. The 16 is almost as light as a 20 and is in my future.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look for an older 870 Wingmaster. I got one that I bought new back in the early 70's-----best pump action shotgun there is IMO. It's the Model 12 for the "baby boomer" era.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Are the Brownings drilled and tapped to accept a mount to put a "red dot" on them?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Browning BPS as stated by earlier posters. LH Remington 1100's are also good if you can find one.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I recommend a Benelli if you like them and your budget allows. I have two, a M1 and a montefeltro, and have never had a problem with either one. I use the m1 for doves primarily and occasional turkey hunts.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I love the LH Benelli Montefeltro 12 Guage for fit and feel. Need to put a season on it to see if it is good as it feels. The BPS is a pain to load and unload. Grew up with the Win model 12 easy to work for me, unloading for fence crossings and I shoot them well. With a shotgun its how it fits for you.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kurt,
Why is the BPS a pain to load and unload?

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have been shooting a BPS since about 1988; never noticed any difficulty loading it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Look for an older 870 Wingmaster. I got one that I bought new back in the early 70's-----best pump action shotgun there is IMO. It's the Model 12 for the "baby boomer" era.

+1, I'm going with you on this one. I would never get rid of my lefty 870 wingmaster:
[Linked Image]

Second choice would be an 1187:
[Linked Image]

However, The browning citori would actually tie the 1187 for second place. 3rd would go to the cheaper model 870 express:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The left hand Remington 1100's/870's are out there is the used market in 12 and 20 gauge. The 20 gauge 870's can be bought for
$800.00+ and the 1100 lefty 20 gauge for $1,800.00+. Recently there was a lefty 20 ga 1100 on Trap shooters in the box for $1,800 that did not sell....actually quite surprisingly. If I didn't already have a lefty 1100 in 20 gauge I would have bought it....as a spare.

None of the lefty barrels have have tubes in 20 gauge but Mike Orlen can install the tubes cheaply as compared to the cost of Briley tubes.

I have two lefty 1100 trap guns, one with a "light contour" 11/87
28" inch barrel I use for 5-stand that swings just beautifully. I picked the barrel up on Ebay for $75.00 and had it reblued.

Doc

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 47 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,234
Posts18,504,419
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.