Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Could you imagine the typical 17 or 18 year old going off to war today?
[/quote]

I've seen it too often over the past 12 years. The majority of them I'm sure would fit right in with the greatest generation. Truly outstanding, upstanding people that I'm proud to know. But then, with less than one percent of the population currently serving, they are anything but typical. And the average American rarely realizes it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Imagine the boys of the greatest generation marching off to war, but being told they can only shoot when shot at. That when they see scouts spying on their position in advance of an attack that they just have to watch them in binoculars, see them through the cross hairs of their scope and can do nothing, despite knowing that in a short period of time that hell was going to rain down on them, or an IED was going to blow up their next convoy just because some muslim asshat in Washington doesn't want to make a puppet-ruler, who is gorging himself on American cash, angry.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Dad was there. It was something he didn't talk about a whole lot. When he did, it was obvious that it was a nightmarish time for all those who served.

I love the WW II generation. I have a lot of respect for those who served and the sacrifice they made. To talk with them is to really step back in time. I enjoy their stories. My grandpa is still living at 94 years old, but he didn't serve in the war. I'm not sure why not, but it may be because he was a minister. It's sad that so few are left with us. We won't see another generation like theirs....not with how society is today. Could you imagine the typical 17 or 18 year old going off to war today?

Like others have stated, I too can imagine it. How many 18 year old men have you spent time with in the last 10 years, or your time in the military...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My parents sure knew about it. My father was flying blimps out of Tillamook, OR searching for Japanese subs. My FIL was a fighter pilot. He was on Okinawa training for the invasion of Japan. They were very happy when Germany went down and ecstatic when the Japs folded.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quite a number of women ferried bombers across the Atlantic to Europe and actually found their way. I became acquainted with one that later became a crop duster and charter pilot.

I was ten years young when the war with Germany ended.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Dad was there. It was something he didn't talk about a whole lot. When he did, it was obvious that it was a nightmarish time for all those who served.

I love the WW II generation. I have a lot of respect for those who served and the sacrifice they made. To talk with them is to really step back in time. I enjoy their stories. My grandpa is still living at 94 years old, but he didn't serve in the war. I'm not sure why not, but it may be because he was a minister. It's sad that so few are left with us. We won't see another generation like theirs....not with how society is today. Could you imagine the typical 17 or 18 year old going off to war today?

Like others have stated, I too can imagine it. How many 18 year old men have you spent time with in the last 10 years, or your time in the military...

A very good friend that passed away about five years ago was flying a Corsair when he was nineteen. A few years prior to his passing, he was concerned about his sixteen year old GS getting a license to drive a car.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Kind of ironic ain't it that the Greatest Generation raised the most [bleep] up generation of kids.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kind of ironic ain't it that the Greatest Generation raised the most [bleep] up generation of kids.

Hard to understand how that happened.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by Partsman
Yes, amazing, and remember if you can read this and still speak english, thank a Canadian. grin

ok that tears it, now if I get to buy you a beer on your trek west, it's pizz watered Budweiser

but hey the horses are cute! They don't really use them to deliver beer any longer, but they do provide the coloring for Bud beer grin

Watered down beer, OK, so that's where all that horse piss goes! wink

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by 12344mag
69 years, Wow! Thank you Men.
Don't forget the women...Rosie the Riveter was like a secret weapon for US Industry.

There were women who wore uniforms and served in or near combat areas in WWII. Some died, either as the direct result of enemy action or because of service-related accidents.

But if you're going to give Rosie the Riveter a special pat on the back, you might as well give one to the mailman and the druggist, too.

You have definitely got that right as I used to transport to VAMC Seattle on the DAV Van off the Olympic Peninsula an ex army nurse who had a ship shot out from under her during WWII.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by old70
Could you imagine the typical 17 or 18 year old going off to war today?

I've seen it too often over the past 12 years. The majority of them I'm sure would fit right in with the greatest generation. Truly outstanding, upstanding people that I'm proud to know. But then, with less than one percent of the population currently serving, they are anything but typical. And the average American rarely realizes it.[/quote]

Yes, and that was the only point I was making. It was a different day back then. Boys became men much sooner because they had to. The typical boy back then had to take on much more responsibility within his family by that age and it was expected he would serve his country. My comments were not a put down to the great men who are in our armed forces today.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yes I remember VE-DAY and VJ-DAY ,I was about 5 years old at the time.On VJ-DAY New York City went wild with celebration ,it was a fine time too be an American you could feel the PRIDE ,but not any longer at this time..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'm keeping in mind your post below:

[/quote] Parents need to active it on their own phone, most especially women.

If there is a single woman in the car I will say 90% of the time they are either talking or texting. I'm 48 and I can count on one hand how many times I've heard anything important come from a woman...

And my response to your statement/question in this thread:

The 17 and 18 year olds serving in our military are anything but "typical" today. I was referring to the majority of the 17 and 18 year old population. Have you had the opportunity or time to research statistics?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So you know the majority of 17 and 18 year old kids in the population today? Does Mark know?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by antlers
I love the WW II generation. I have a lot of respect for those who served and the sacrifice they made. We won't see another generation like theirs....not with how society is today.

Wholeheartedly agree.

My next door neighbors on either side are WW II vets, one 89 and one 93. Army in the Philipines, and AF mechanic in Europe. Has a doorknob that he literally ripped off Hitler's house in Berchtesgaden.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1936M71, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 64 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,493,989
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.