Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I am looking at a couple of used 10x42 SLC Neu's, but I have never seen this bino before. I talked with Swarovski about it today and they tell me the new HD version is definitely an upgrade, but this one is nice too.

Unfortunately, I have never seen this bino, and at least one of them is from an individual, so sending it back is not an option. So I have to rely on you guys experience.

The Neu's are around 1k, is this a decent price?

How much difference does the HD upgrade really make?

What is the opinion of this bino, especially vis a vis other 1k'ish binos? Vs the more expensive ones (new SLC HD's, El's, Ultravids, etc.).

Thanks!

Last edited by catorres1; 05/09/14.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For $1000 I would recommend you look for a deal on a Zeiss Victory FL, its the previous top Zeiss binocular and a definite
step up over the SLC NEU. The FL is the best binocular optically to be had under $1500 and still in the top 5 binoculars available IMO.

You should also consider a new Zeiss Conquest HD or Meopta/Cabelas meostar HD as they are in your budget
and similar optical quality as the SLC NEU. The meopta HD
is a heavy glass like the NEU.

One knock against the SLC NEU is its weight at 30oz.
The Zeiss FL and Conquest HD are much lighter as well
as all the other alpha 10x42 glass these days.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree 100% with Timber, for what that's worth!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Guys, thanks so much for that advice. I saw a pair of FL's somewhere last night, maybe I'll try and find that again.

How is Zeiss warranty? I know Swaro has a reputation for it being stellar.

I spent some time at Cabelas looking through EL's, SLC HD's and Meostars (and Viper HD's to ascertain the difference). They were all great, if I had to rank them (view and ergos) liked the EL's best, SLC's next and the Meo's last, but all were super. I did not get to try the Razors, as they were out and they tell me they can't keep them in stock, they get bought so fast.

But I don't know how the NEU fits in there, it being older and all.

Sounds like both of you guys think the FL would be a better bino regardless...

So would you guys put the Conquest HD over the NEU? Where vs the Meostars and how do they both compete with the Razor....shoulda checked the HD today, but I have to go back next week to get a gift for my son and pickup an order, so maybe I can make that comparison then. They had a rebate on the conquest that just ended...that'll sting if I go that way!

If only I could find a place where they had them all together at once...comparing in one place and time to another does not really seem to work for me, I need them all together at once.

But overall, would you both agree that the FL would be superior to all the rest I have mentioned (not the SLC HD or EL, but the others)?

Thanks!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I ran a pair of 10x42 SLC Neu for a number of years. Paid $1100 for them new in 2005, sold them for $1000 last fall to upgrade to the newer 8.5x42 EL SV. While the SV's are definitely better in almost every regard, they are certainly not 2x better. If pressed, I would put their overall performance somewhere around 10% better.

The SLC's are a sturdy bino and felt very good in my hands and were great to my eyes. I sent mine in a couple of years ago and for $150 Swarovski replaced all exterior glass with new pieces with the latest coatings, replaced all the armor, re-lubed the focus wheel, re-purged and re-collimated. So essentially I had a new binocular. I think most on here will agree, Swarovski has the best customer service of the high end optic manufacturer's (Zeiss, Leica, Nikon). Something to consider if these are going to be a long term purchase.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Wow, that's pretty impressive service! That's something I really respect and like, it's what makes me think about Vortex so often.

If the current EL's are only 10% better, then that probably puts the SLC Neus somewhere around, or slightly less, than the Meostars, because I thought they were very close to the EL's, but that's all subjective, I guess.

So how is Zeiss warranty vs Swaro? I ask because I found a very used set of 10x42's online for a very cheap price. I am nervious though, because I can't see just how bad they are.

If anyone knows of a good set for 1k or slightly less, let me know.

Also, are all FL's "T" coated (whatever that means) or are some FL's, and other's T* FL's?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have no first hand experience, but I don't believe Zeiss has the best warranty over X amount of years and if you're not the original owner.

Swaro's couldn't come with a better warranty.

The SLC's are HEAVY though, some people it bothers and others not so much.

There's a difference with the HD, but not enough to justify the added cost for those of us on a budget.

Life is just one damned thing after another
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Zeiss has a lifetime transferable warranty-does not get much better than that. New zeiss binoculars also come with a no fault warranty for the first five years. Swarovski's warranty technically is only for the original owner although they tend to fix things on their dime also if you are not the original owner-but there are no guarantees they will.

All Zeiss FL's are T FL'S, T is the name of their best lens multicoating's. The earlier FL's did not have the lotutec hydrophobic coatings on the exterior lenses. The Lotutec makes it really easy to keep the lenses clean so I would look for that.

I would put the SLC NEU,Conquest HD and Meostar HD in the same league optically overall. The advantage goes to the Conquest HD however as it is lighter and trimmer. I would invest in a Vortex Razor HD also but only if the price was right (800-850) for a lightly used one. The resale is just not there in the Vortex for me to buy any of their premium offerings at full retail.

Last edited by Timberbuck; 05/10/14.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for that information. I am planning to call Zeiss to see on Monday to see how they would react if I bought a pair that needed refurbrishing somewhat. Not new glass or anything, but if the cost is not exhorbatant in case something is wrong, I might jump on a deal I found for these 10x42's. It's sight unseen is the problem, just photos. He shows that it is missing the little end caps on the ends of the hinges, and a picture of the glass, which looks good, but it's hard to be confident without seeing in person. But most other places are 1100ish so far, and these are WAY less. But if I can find a decent pair for under 1k from a store that is trustworthy, that might be the one, it sounds like.

Though others are telling me look for an 8x instead..we'll see.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The price point you are talking about will get you close to Swarovski EL binoculars. Since the Swarovision came out, the previous model has become less desirable and yet the glass is still fantastic. The ergonomics of the EL are second to none and many companies have copied the double bridge that makes the Swarovski nice to handle.

Zeiss makes great optics too, I find that as you try things out by owning them and not looking through them at a store, you will find that hands down, the Swarovski will sell faster than any other brand. When I buy things, I consider that aspect of owning these objects, as I want to have the best I can and as they change, it is good to have something that you can trade or sell and not lose big money.

Some might say that is an odd attribute to place on a purchase, but over the years I have owned dozens of high end optics and Swarovski seems to move sometimes 5X faster than any other brand...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used Swarovski SLC is never the wrong choice.

I could not be happier with my 7x42s.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Shrapnel,

That is a good way of looking at things, I think. It's nice to know you can always get out of something at little or no loss if necessary. It's just smart thinking.

Here is what I am working on right now, and I have to move fast...I have to give a decision today, sight unseen. I was hoping to talk to Zeiss first to see how they would react to any needed repairs in case the internet seller is less than truthful.

But it's a set of Zeiss FL's 10x42 with the Lotutek or whatever it is, for $500.

The guys says the glass is perfect and sent big pix, but I still can't tell. He admits they are 'well used', and the little caps on the ends of the hinges with Zeiss symbols are missing...why, don't know yet, supposed to call him this afternoon and get more info. He says he has another buyer (maybe true, maybe not, don't know), but since I was here first, I get first dibs.

Other than that, he says there is no damage etc. It's risky, but I have read of both Zeiss and Swaro taking binos in and fixing them to near new for very little or no cash. So this could be a great deal. But I have never dealt with Zeiss tech/CS, except to get info before I bought my scope (where they were very helpful).

Thoughts?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would also tell you to never bargain for a deal that you can't take 100% loss and survive. $500.00 may be a good deal for the binoculars, or you may get junk out of columnatiton with other problems. If something is that hard used, I would pass. Tanner has a pair of Zeiss 10X40 Classic T*P* glasses, that I believe he will sell for $600.00.

I also wouldn't get all twitterpated about Lotutec coatings on Zeiss glass. Lotutec may be innovative to some extent, but it sure wouldn't make or break a deal on optics.

Don't ever buy something with the thought of factory warranty bailing you out either. It could and I have done that with Zeiss even. I bought a used rifle scope that had leaked and there was a film on the inside of the lenses. I called Zeiss, they said send it back and I did. The scope came back with a list of things they did to the scope at no charge. Great customer service, but I didn't buy it counting on free service to a poorly mounted scope that had all sorts of ring marks. They didn't do anything for the ring marks and I expected that.

The beauty of living in America is that I can own any optic I want, any gun I want and I make my choices according to what I have used and all the circumstances discussed here and my first choice would almost always be Swarovski...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,184
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.