Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am looking to buy a new set of binos. I have been doing tons of reading online and picking peoples brains for good recommendations. What I have come up with is the Zeiss Victory HT's in the 10x42's. Does anyone have any personal experience with these and what can you tell me? I am going to buy a binocular once so I want it to be the best I can afford. I have looked into the Swaro EL's, Swaro SLC HD's, and the Zeiss HT's. There is no place close for me to go to compare them and even then it would just be mid day outside the store. I want to hear what you all have to say. The issues I have heard about Leica's CS has scared me away from their line. Anyway, any input is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hello Reno,

I have one bought here to Ebby, great person and a pleasure to deal with him by the way!
Previously I had a Zeiss FL also in 10x42. Also have now a Swarovski Habicht (Porro classic) of the last versions 10x40 and a Meopta Meostar 8x32. With these I am done about binoculars. Period.
But if should be forced to chose one, it would be the Zeiss HT 10x42!
Is a GREAT BINOCULAR with all a hunter/naturalist/birdwatcher need. The design is a clear improvement of the FL mostly in the body and ergonomics with a slight, but real, improvement in the optics.
Between this and the two other you mention, because I have tried both, I like a little more the HT. But, really, I would be happy with any of them!!!!
Good Luck!

PH

Last edited by PatagoniaHunter; 05/09/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reno,

There will be lots of good input here. All I can tell you is that you owe it to yourself to try all the samples on your list - they're all great. Your eyes/ergo requirements are unique and your findings/preference may go against what many recommend.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Agree with SKane! I think the three mentioned by Reno are probably the three top binoculars right now.

PH

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've seen a demo pair of 10x42HT's at Gunbroker.com for under $1700

If they are any improvement over the T FL's then WOW! I love my FL's in 8x42.

Last edited by rj112275; 05/09/14.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Reno - I am in the same boat as you as it's hard to physically handle these high-end bino's (i.e. try-before-u-buy). I ended up getting a pair of used Victory B 10x40s and used Leica UltraVids. While the glass on the Ultravids is marginally better, it's the eyecup/eyeball fit that really determined which worked for me. If you have to fiddlefart around to maintain proper eye relief or eye centering, it's a deal breaker. You want them to come up to your eyes and fit like a glove, so to speak. I will likely sell off the Ultravids.

General question to Leica owners - can you get different eyecups? I need ones with a larger o.d.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RenoH414,
I have the 10x42 HT's and I really like them. I was like you and had no place to go and compare them. I spoke to many people and read lots of reviews. Everyone will have an opinion about which is better and why. I spoke to someone very knowledgeable about this industry and they told me at this level of alpha glass you are really just splitting hairs. My advice would be to go with the one you can get the best price. I bought mine from Camera Land (one of the sponsors) as a demo unit and saved several hundred dollars. Good luck.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info you can give me. It is a PIA to not be able to lay my meat hooks on them before I buy, but that is what you all are for. I talked to a friend some more today and he was saying the 8x42 HTs are even better than the 10x42's. I wish I could find some local but I agree with you guys I don't think there is a bad choice in the bunch. I just want to make the best choice I can for me.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I compared all 3 last fall. Not a bad bino in the bunch. HTs are a bit brighter, SV has better edges, SLC less $$. Ergonomics will vary depending on your preferences.

For such an expensive investment that is based to a large extent on personal preference, I think it would be well worth your time to travel somewhere to check them all out side by side. Or if you can swing the $$, order all 3 from a reputable online dealer that will let you return the ones you don't like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I settled on the Zeiss Victory HTs. Great binos. Glass is spectacular. I still have my Zeiss FLs too. Not a fan of the Swaro binos. I've gone thru 2 pair of SLCs that fogged up. Best buy right now in 10x42 binoculars is Meopta IMO.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reno, can't say much about brand but from what I saw when I was up your way I would want the 10x for sure with all the open ground.
Maybe not zeiss or Swarovski but I'm sure happy with my meopta meostar.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Luke I had also considered the meostar 10x42 HDs. I can get the Zeiss on demo at the time for $1800. It sounds like I need to find a retailer somewhere that had them all in stock and take a road trip. It would be nice to be able to put hands on all of them first but not really an option here.

Thanks guys!!

Reno

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How close are you to cabelas in KC? They should have several for you to look through.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RenoH414
Luke I had also considered the meostar 10x42 HDs. I can get the Zeiss on demo at the time for $1800. It sounds like I need to find a retailer somewhere that had them all in stock and take a road trip. It would be nice to be able to put hands on all of them first but not really an option here.

Thanks guys!!

Reno

Take a look at this

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Reno,

I haven't verified but have heard it said here before you could order several pair from Cameraland and return those you don't like.

Just a thought.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I finally put my hands on a pair of 8x42 HT's. I must say that ergonomically, I continue to like the Zeiss feel and the Zeiss focusing mechanism. A lot less play than my Swaro's. I'll have to spend a little more time with them before making a decision, but they seem to be a keeper... not sure if they are that much more improved optically over the FL's. The new design feels good and fits well. If the Swaro focusing was better, I wouldn't even be thinking something different.

So, the FL's might be going... or the Swaro's might be going... I think the HT's will be around a little longer... TBD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RenoH414

Thanks guys!!

Reno

Before you do that, $1800.00 isn't that far from a pair of Swarovision binoculars a friend of mine has that wants to sell them. He has had them for about 1 year and he doesn't even get out of the house. They are mint and he wants to sell them.

Consider these before you look farther, you won't be disappointed...

Shrapnel

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel
He has had them for about 1 year and he doesn't even get out of the house.

TAK?

Whoops sorry, wrong thread.

Seriously though Shrap, what model?

SV's?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I ended up getting a new set of 10x42 HT's. I found a deal I couldn't pass on. They just came today and the initial impression is very good. I will have to get more time with them to make a final determination but the glass is very impressive.

Reno

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (29aholic, 204guy, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 43 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,223
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.