Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
http://www.kltv.com/story/25476446/...rce=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

RAINS COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - The former Rains County deputy who shot a dog after responding to a burglary call on April 18 has now been indicted on animal cruelty charges.

According to the Rains County District Clerk's Office, 32-year-old Jerrod Dooley has been charged with a state jail felony, punishable by up to two years behind bars. Dooley was fired on April 24 after threats were made against him and the sheriff's office following the controversial incident.

Dooley's attorney Peter Schulte said he would have had his client testify before the grand jury regarding the case and he's disappointed that did not happen.

"This is clearly a political knee jerk reaction by the DA in Rains County and there�s no chance that this case will stand up in court," said Schulte. "It�s a legal impossibility because he was acting within the scope of his employment as a public servant. We look forward to our day in court.�

Schulte added that neither he nor his client have been contacted by Rains County.

Dooley has not been arrested and it is unclear if an arrest warrant has been issued for him at this time. Schulte said if a warrant is issued, his client will make arrangements to comply.

Rains County homeowner Cole Middleton arrived home around 11 a.m. on Friday, April 18 and discovered his home had been burglarized. Middleton said his guns, iPad and his wife's jewelry had been taken.

Middleton called 911 at 12:46 p.m. At 2:41 p.m., Dooley arrived at the home. Middleton said when Dooley arrived to investigate, he claimed the dog was about to bite him and shot the dog to defend himself.The Middleton family says the necropsy report by a veterinarian proves that Candy was shot in the back of the head.

During a tearful interview in April, Dooley tried to explain why he shot the dog.

"I tried, but I didn't think I could get away from her," he said haltingly. �I told her to 'get back,' she wouldn't get back ... and I fired two shots."

The dog's owner said he thinks the indictment is a stepping stone in getting justice for Candy.

"Obviously the grand jury felt there was enough evidence there to bring an indictment against Mr. Dooley," Middleton said. "I really hope this helps further the call and the need for Candy's Law and getting officers trained to deal with non-aggressive and aggressive dogs as well."

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was only interesting when this young guy wasn't a new hire and wasn't going to be prosecuted.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Lock them dog shooters up.

There's an old mama coon in my backyard right now.

My cat is yowellin' at it through the glass door.

I won't even shoot her.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rite up there with the dude who shot the 91yo.....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Next thing you it will be "animal cruelty" shooting prairie dogs.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Big difference between shooting pests and a working farm dog, I don't see a slippery slope here.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A New Jersey man was having problems with squirrels entering his Linden home through a hole. In order to stop them, he killed a few with his BB gun and hung them on his fence, like a warning to pirates entering a port.
Now Richard Baird is facing $250 to $1,000 in fines and up to six months in jail under animal cruelty charges.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...oting-squirrels-in-backyard-with-bb-gun/

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Texas is to be commended for having (some states still do not) and Rains County for prosecuting this as felony animal cruelty. Even the full two years is, though, far to light of a sentence for this heinous crime, especially since it was committed under the color of law. A serious sentence enhancement for crimes committed by LEOs is desperately needed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We're you born a complete azz or has it taken lots of practice?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good point. It's okay to be an idiot unless you just got hired as a LE.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking he might have told the dog to "get back" in spanish or something and the dog simply didn't understand.

Bad Dooley!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've got a real problem with the charge. Shooting an animal is not animal "cruelty". If I decide to put down my own dog (for whatever reason) and I shoot it, have I now committed animal cruelty? Looks like it in Texas. The shoot was bad. No question, but the charge looks wrong. Let 'em fight it out in civil court.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

Dogs have a special place in Western Civilization, and how individuals and cultures treat them is an excellent winnower.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Dooley was fired on April 24 after threats were made against him and the sheriff's office following the controversial incident.

Dooley's attorney Peter Schulte said he would have had his client testify before the grand jury regarding the case and he's disappointed that did not happen.

Schulte added that neither he nor his client have been contacted by Rains County.

This is clearly the case of a cop getting special treatment that an ordinary citizen wouldn't.

Not the good kind of special treatment like free donuts and coffee, but it's certainly special.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My heelers (I have two) are the best companions a man can have. But they do get in trouble now and agin. wink

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you come into my yard and tell my dogs to get back they will just eat ya.LEO should have honked his horn.I dont by the "couldnt get to the car".

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RobJordan
I've got a real problem with the charge. Shooting an animal is not animal "cruelty". If I decide to put down my own dog (for whatever reason) and I shoot it, have I now committed animal cruelty? Looks like it in Texas. The shoot was bad. No question, but the charge looks wrong. Let 'em fight it out in civil court.

So you going for first degree murder? wink

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have mixed feelings on this. I know that every dog owner out there will insist that their dog won't bite you while rover is chomping on your leg. If I was carrying I'd shoot the damn dog and of course would face charges for animal cruelty. So I can understand any LEO being nervous about dogs. But there does seem to be a lot of LEOs shooting dogs. I hope it all comes out in court one way or the other and justice prevails.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By golly, I don't have a dog in this fight, if the tables were turned and that would have been a police working dog the resident shot, he would be charged with murder as if the dog "officer" were a human.

Double dang standard, ain't it?

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 05/10/14.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Heelers are very protective and possessive. However, regardless of breed, a smart person knows better then to just charge, un-invited, into the domain of any dog. I dearly love my heeler, as well as my yellow lab, my black lab, my lil' pug terrier cross , my---- Yaaaa, I'm married to a dog nut!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (270cowboy, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1badf350, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 47 invisible), 3,371 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,729
Posts18,535,049
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.