Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have added some ditches on the hills since I've owned the place and it's made a difference. Although they seem to be cutting deeper and deeper every year. Might wanna look into ways of slowing the water down in them. Hard to find a happy medium because I don't want debris hanging up in them either. I try keeping them cleaned out best I can. Not extremely concerned about washout on hills because they only happen on the occasional hard hard heavy rains and can't hardly be avoided. More concerned about the potholes and washboarding that exist throughout the entire length. I just can't make up my mind for the life of me if I should keep a crown in it or not. Always second guessing myself I guess.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just can't make up my mind for the life of me if I should keep a crown in it or not.

Crowns only work if there is somewhere for that water to go when channeled off to the sides.
Sometimes a level road is better, and sometimes an angle in only one direction is best

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A 3-pt mounted blade, either a scraper or box blade, in front or behind the tractor will be very difficult to remove dips. When wheels go over a bump or into a dip, the blade goes up or down even more. Graders have the blade between the wheels because it's much easier to keep level. For a 3-pt type, you need one with skids on the sides that will slide over dips and not be affected by the tractor wheels going up and down.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This grader has worked well for us. You 'll need an ATV or small tractor to pull it. The company shows small garden tractors doing the work. They are not heavy enough. I put an 80 lb pag of cement in the weight tray. The tool works well. For a long driveway such as you have, you'll prolly need the bigger model.

http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/power-graders/

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I stand corrected. After viewing the company web page, the Road Boss comes in sizes 4 foot to 16 foot.

Check out the page,
http://www.roadboss.org/road-boss-action

and watch the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eBWwiHaLeg4

It shows the implement working on some good side hills. Mine works exactly as well as the one in the video. I used it at work a couple years ago on our company loading dock area. It is a half acre of packed road mix which sees an average of ten semi trucks a day turning around and backing over it. I used the eight foot road boss, mounted on a John Deere 3010, on the lot early in the spring, soon after the frost went out of the ground. It left the lot looking like a large motor grader had worked it.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
great thread guys

learning some stuff, appreciated

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Given that you are maintaining a variable grade, I would suggest a TR3. Google ABI TR3. A little pricey, but you cant beat it for your use.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on the land plane, road boss, bionic blade, many names....

but it works for roads, plain and simple.

I've tried using box blade to fix roads, seems I just make it worse though.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is just over a 1/3 of a mile long. Box blade it at least once a year, usually right after a decent shower. Drop a load or two of rocks on it every other year or as needed. Rinse and repeat.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RUMlover
Given that you are maintaining a variable grade, I would suggest a TR3. Google ABI TR3. A little pricey, but you cant beat it for your use.

Looks nice but I'm not seeing any prices on their website ... that scares me

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a length of chain length fence drug behind a tractor or ATV. I've used this method with good results. It's cheap as you can build it yourself, take a length of chain link fence (6' to 10' long) attach either a 2x6 board or a piece of steel to the leading edge with the option for adding more weight to the leading edge. Another option along the same line is if you can find one is drag a chain link gate.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've used stuff like chain link to level land before planting grass. It works ok as long as the ground is soft. On a hard driveway, though, it just bounces over the top, not digging in at all. It'll dump a little loose dirt in washboards, but it won't knock off the tops of the bumps.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just curious how you fellas size your implements? My tractor tires are 6ft wide from outside edge to outside edge, so I assume I might want an implement at least 7ft wide so that it is wider than my tracks. Or should I go with the biggest width that fits down my rock driveway. I'm thinking I might give one of those land leveler/road grader implements a try.

Thanks for all the info fellas!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
imO, weight is more important than size. Heavier cuts better.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by gitem_12
imO, weight is more important than size. Heavier cuts better.

Agreed ... I noticed some brands are rated heavy duty and their levelers weigh almost twice as much as a competitors comparable sized model

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by W7ACT
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a length of chain length fence drug behind a tractor or ATV. I've used this method with good results. It's cheap as you can build it yourself, take a length of chain link fence (6' to 10' long) attach either a 2x6 board or a piece of steel to the leading edge with the option for adding more weight to the leading edge. Another option along the same line is if you can find one is drag a chain link gate.
I also use a chain harrow no comparsion verses the land plane.Night and day difference.

Last edited by coobie; 05/11/14.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A 7' blade will be minimal - as the functional width shrinks when you angle the blade. I would go with an 8' blade for your tractor.
The slickest rig (3 point) I ever used had a hydraulic center link. When the blade was angled, you could basically vary the tilt with the center link.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson

We have one of these that has a set of rippers in front of the blades. Works great for fixing potholes and washouts. Ive even used it out in the pastures and hay meadow to fix hog rootin, though a good disc is far better in the field. As far as Im concerned this is the tool for maintaining your roads.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Just curious how you fellas size your implements? My tractor tires are 6ft wide from outside edge to outside edge, so I assume I might want an implement at least 7ft wide so that it is wider than my tracks. Or should I go with the biggest width that fits down my rock driveway. I'm thinking I might give one of those land leveler/road grader implements a try.

Thanks for all the info fellas!

I have been busy working with the grand daughters and their two new colts each evening this week and so have not had time to check back at the "Fire.

The size of your tractor (weight and horsepower) will dictate the size of the tool you will be able to choose. I could probably hitch the 8 foot Road Boss to the back of my 25 HP Ford 8N, and it would pull it over hard packed earth. But the first time it dug in and loaded up with a yard of material, we would be done. And the Ford would not be able to lift it on the three point.

A heavy, high quality seven foot blade (like a Rhino) will work the snot out of a thirty horse tractor, if it can get a bite and fill with soil. An eight foot blade is appropriate for a forty five to fifty HP class tractor.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1234, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,255
Posts18,486,342
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.