Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 36 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 35 36
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I see where you guys are coming from, I do. But for me, the 7mm Mag is past the point of comfortable shootability, when chambered in a rifle I want to carry and actually shoot enough to get good with. I have a lot more fun when recoil and blast is diminished, and that trumps any supposed advantage I may gain in the rarified air past 500 yards. If I don't practice with the rifle because it isn't fun to shoot, any advantage will be lost.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Understood and agreed on all counts...

Tanner

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I see where you guys are coming from, I do. But for me, the 7mm Mag is past the point of comfortable shootability, when chambered in a rifle I want to carry and actually shoot enough to get good with. I have a lot more fun when recoil and blast is diminished, and that trumps any supposed advantage I may gain in the rarified air past 500 yards. If I don't practice with the rifle because it isn't fun to shoot, any advantage will be lost.

Ditto. I get a fast seven light enough to carry comfortably I don't want to shoot it a bunch. I'm in the middle of putting together two 7mm SAUM's. One pretty much a Sendero weight Savage , the other a 700 magnum taper in an LVSF that needs bedding. We'll see.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. I've always considered from the standpoint of gains in yards, so to speak. I.E. what a 270 is doing at say 300 yards, a 7 is going to do at "X+125yards" or whatever. If drift is the biggest concern (and should be) then shoot no further than where your ability is to that regard. If 14" is manageable, then .625 BC is it at 500.

But, this thread will die and in six months start all over again with the same answers.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Practice with double hearing protection and a brake, and use a thread protector when hunting wink

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore

But, this thread will die and in six months start all over again with the same answers.

You bet it will! I'd rather have this discussion than one about a "honey-do" list, or something grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Practice with double hearing protection and a brake, and use a thread protector when hunting wink

That is a technique, and I will never hunt again without a Walker's Game Ear.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
.284 160 gr Accubonds for sale in the classifieds right now.

Not any more...... grin

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I can't believe how many times recently I've heard someone say "wind is blowing.... better grab the .270".

Rumor has it.... the last guy to shoot a .270 at the SRM.... shot a 4.... total.

Wind can be a bugaboo...no question about it. Especially at full value but it gets tricky under any circumstance.

Dog shooter I am curious about how this all plays out in the field when hunting. Of the BG animals you have killed from (say)300 to 875 yards,how often have you made a wind call in excess of one MOA?

I ask because some well known celebrity type LR hunters filmed an elk hunt on my friend's Wyoming ranch this past January(for a TV episode). The bull was at 700 yards; they made a one MOA wind call(according to my friend who was there to watch it all),and gut shot it.

They corrected for two MOA and the next two 168 Bergers went where they were supposed to. They finally got the elk down.

Does much of this go on?

I am also curious to know if any of your acquaintances have shot the new 150 ABLR from the 270 (.625 BC if Nosler is to be believed) to see how it compares to a(say) 260 or 7 Rem Mag on that course?

Bob,
If only we could edit our bad shots like the pop star experts?
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
If we're only worried about numbers, why not skip right over the 7/162 and go for a 30/208? Or a 338/300? Or a 50/750? Those bigger guns put up some impressive numbers, but they aren't very shootable in a rifle somebody wants to pack around the hills.

But the 7 RM is.... by a long ways. And puts up numbers that rival or beat the piss out of guns that recoil a whole lot more. That's the root of my love for the caliber and cartridge.

Tanner

^^^^^^^ This.

I've had 7.5 lbish fast 7 most of my life. They aren't a picnic from the bench but they aren't that bad either. Light 7mm's are a quick jab from the bench. Not so much with a 7.5 lb fast 30 cal. Its more like a punch in the shoulder from a prize fighter. I'll take the fast 7's all day. Not so much the fast 30's..........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I haven't read through all of this but I'd like to make sure of one thing in case I missed it. If a drill the shoulders of something furry with a good bullet, do they still die?

Yes, and headstamp doesn't mean anything either.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally I find anything much bigger than a 308 Win in a scoped 7lb rifle quite objectionable for more than about a dozen shots on a bench rest or prone. Couple the weight with the 22 inch or shorter barrel its likely to have and its not a pleasant experience. For me anyway.

I'd much sooner an 8.25lb to 8.5lb rifle in a fast 7 mag or even a 30-06 especially with 165g bullets and up. Most of my rifles are somewhere in this range - I only own about a half dozen I should add to qualify.

When I was a teenager I used to cart an 11lb Mauser 308 Win with a takeoff target barrel for 15km at a time. Now I wouldn't like to go back to that but I don't notice the weight of an 8+lb rifle in the hills much.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Wind can be a bugaboo...no question about it. Especially at full value but it gets tricky under any circumstance.

Dog shooter I am curious about how this all plays out in the field when hunting. Of the BG animals you have killed from (say)300 to 875 yards,how often have you made a wind call in excess of one MOA?

I ask because some well known celebrity type LR hunters filmed an elk hunt on my friend's Wyoming ranch this past January(for a TV episode). The bull was at 700 yards; they made a one MOA wind call(according to my friend who was there to watch it all),and gut shot it.

They corrected for two MOA and the next two 168 Bergers went where they were supposed to. They finally got the elk down.

Does much of this go on?

I would almost guarantee this type of thing goes on, very often. Seeing army rangers, SEALS, special forces, Israeli badassses, shooting steel and prarie dogs in the wind will prove that they may not hit the target at distance the first shot. In fact often times in the swirling winds they do not, and these guys are the best on the planet. You don't want them shooting at you twice though! Most hunters have zero business shooting at game at 300+ yards anyway, especially with wind. The LR hunting dudes on TV are a bunch of clowns IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
some well known celebrity type LR hunters filmed an elk hunt on my friend's Wyoming ranch this past January(for a TV episode). The bull was at 700 yards; they made a one MOA wind call(according to my friend who was there to watch it all),and gut shot it

Please Bob, I'm beggin' ya. Do tell who said a$$holes were. I told same story more than once, and also argued more than once with some of the so called "celebrity type LR hunters". A couple of them hate me. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Means I got my point across wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With regards to the wind conversation, I like the 180gr 7's simply because they provide a larger margin of error with regards to wind drift if shooting across canyons or the like. I personally don't shoot at animals at longer ranges if there's very much wind at all, but you can't always read the wind at 500 yards, so I'll take the 180gr "cushion".

YMMV

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought a 200 year Ruger 7mm Rem mag in 1976 and have shot 20 elk and many dozens of deer and antelope with it. And a mountain goat. I never knew till now that I didn't need it.
I have shot the last 10 elk, a bighorn ram, and a moose with a .300 Win Mag and I suppose I needed that even less.
I feel so stupid now.

But I ate quite well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My headstamp can beat up your headstamp.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Man am I glad I didn't read this thread before I ventured half way around the world to kill African game.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
some well known celebrity type LR hunters filmed an elk hunt on my friend's Wyoming ranch this past January(for a TV episode). The bull was at 700 yards; they made a one MOA wind call(according to my friend who was there to watch it all),and gut shot it

Please Bob, I'm beggin' ya. Do tell who said a$$holes were. I told same story more than once, and also argued more than once with some of the so called "celebrity type LR hunters". A couple of them hate me. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Means I got my point across wink

The long range rage will contribute to more failures than successes. When guys choke at 100 yard shots off the bench, the last thing they need is a dial...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I read an article by Terry Wieland where he said a lot of these long range hunting shows are smoke and mirrors and deceptionand they aren't on the level. Like when they shoot an elk at say 900 yards and it collapses in its tracks.

Page 21 of 36 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (160user, 12savage, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,171
Posts18,523,652
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.