Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Having had spray in training, hell no. But first I'd seek to gain control. Then we can decontaminate.

But no-one will ever know the real story because half of the participants are no longer with us and the current media is being written by the troopers. Best to wait until the trial so the two still with us can give their side of the story, if their attorneys allow them too. I think this is another one of those terrible situations where "the whole story", will never be clear and that will be the most difficult for the families involved.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Seems pretty clear to me. Troopers went in to arrest scumbag, scumbag junior murdered them like a coward. What part of the "whole story" is missing?

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's interesting that 'only' seven shots were fired with a semi-auto and that the VPSO - who was the one who called down the thunder- was left unscathed. Why? It has been mentioned that the gun may have jammed. So at what point did cooler heads prevail and disarm and restrain the father/son duo? (It was the VPSO who did so along with resident citizens by news reports.)

I would not suggest that the kid is less culpable. I would suggest, however, that the father should be more culpable.

A Fairbanks grand jury brought more charges against a man accused of killing two Alaska State Troopers in Tanana May 1. Nathanial "Sach" Kangas was charged with two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of second-degree murder, one count of third-degree assault and one count of tampering with evidence. The jury also indicted his father, 58-year-old Arvin Kangas, for one count of tampering with evidence and one count of hindering prosecution.

The jury also handed down a special finding that the troopers killed -- Sgt. Patrick "Scott" Johnson and Gabriel "Gabe" Rich -- were in uniform and engaged in the performance of official duties.

If convicted, Nathanial Kangas faces up to 208 years in prison. Arvin Kangas could serve up to five years. The two will be arraigned in Fairbanks next week.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2014/05/08/3461785/new-charges-filed-in-tanana-trooper.html#storylink=cpy

Sounds like there's no mistaking the fact that they were Troopers. Any suggestion that the AST are somehow trying to confound the facts by controlling the story is ludicrous in the extreme. I am certain that they would like to get a smooth conviction from the information available. Any suggestion of tampering could easily throw a wrench in it.

It's fine to pick nits with particular members of law enforcement where it is due. For the most part and with few exceptions our Alaska State Troopers do a credible job under less than ideal circumstances. Suggestive comments to the contrary are not helpful either. Of course, as usual, hindsight is much clearer than the moment, so 'guessing' at the past is useless as well.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/11/14.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
At the arraignment of the Kangas' in Fairbanks, last week, the wife of Arvin/mother of Nathaniel gave a brave and moving apology to the court, troopers' families and the greater Alaskan community for the crimes of the son and father. She had no apparent doubt where the guilt lies for this needless tragedy.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
Having had spray in training, hell no. But first I'd seek to gain control. Then we can decontaminate.

But no-one will ever know the real story because half of the participants are no longer with us and the current media is being written by the troopers.(Seems to me that there have been several pieces that have explained the intelligence and the great potential of "Sach". Many young people in the village do a "Gap" year or so it is uncertain if he would have worked his way to be a pilot) Best to wait until the trial so the two still with us can give their side of the story, if their attorneys allow them too. I think this is another one of those terrible situations where "the whole story", will never be clear and that will be the most difficult for the families involved.
Brandy and her girls are doing good. However, Gabe Rich's fiance gets nothing. No survivor benefits, no support for their son(Other than Social Security) which won't be much. Sure it was nice to have 4000 people at their funeral; but the way that I see it the Kangas outfit made out much better than the Rich and Johnson families.

Scott was a National Champion Wrestler. He did something that is the reason that the rural villages of Alaska could never do. Scott had to arrest and testify against his brother. His whole family and the entire community knew it was the right thing to do. Still it was one of the hardest things that he had to do.

There is a call for the villages to police their own. However, Kusko, while I am not Alaska Native, I am part Sioux. The tribal police on the reservations in South Dakota have their own form of justice that gives preferential treatment to those people related to the aforementioned tribal officers. I have several cousins who have been murdered without much for investigations.

I have taught in many different villages and there are always political lines drawn in the village. Local law enforcement control would create many more problems than it would solve. The other thing that comes is this. Local organization and services are going to require property and sales tax. This might make it interesting especially in NWASB where only the Nuilaimiut have to pay property taxes as Native Land gets an exemption.

I guess I am a bit bitter. We will see what goes.
I would like to give a shout out to Doyon, Fairbanks Native Association and the Village of Tanana which sought to provide more help and assistance to the families of the Troopers than the Borough or the local Chamber of Commerce.
Tanana in particular has 8-6ed the trouble makers with blue tickets which is their prerogative. I am pretty proud of those folks. I know that the Johnson family was happy about that. Its a small thing but a very important thing. The people of Tanana appreciate and follow the law. Troopers in Alaska at least work to help people rather than support their own agendas.

Sincerely,
Thomas

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's nice to read your good words, Thomas. I was pleased to see how Tanana reacted and not surprised based on the contact I've had with people there when I've come through on the river a few times. I know there are people who argue that eight-sixing is unconstitutional and all that. Well, I guess I don't see the first amendment/free speech being any different than some of the other 'rights'. Responsibility and freedom are joined and inseparable. Spouting off crazy stuff like what the dad and one other fellow like to do has certain responsibilities, especially when it comes down to this. If it was really like the old days those two guys would likely freeze, starve, get eaten, or get killed by another group. Some might call it barbaric but it sustained the social order and kept peoples intact. People still had choices.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well stated, Thomas.

VPSOs generally have a real hard row to hoe, as they are related to about half the village. You can see how that goes. Plus village politics are often rather vicious no-holds barred. Rumor/gossip mill/back-biting set on "full". In a larger setting this gets diffused. In a village of a few hundred/thousand, it's up close and personal, 24-7.

One of the "warts" of village life. But if it was all good, everyone with any sense would live out here.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,166
Posts18,484,458
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.