Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter

I bought a neat, great, stimulating, different, unique, cartridge/rifle that makes me happy and confident and successful. I felt great and almost high while having 8 6-point bulls raising hell around me and knowing that I could tip over any one at any time from any angle and that he wouldn't run into the next county before dying.

Good for you and congratulations on your success with it.

I'm gaining all kinda ground here cuz many newbies who want to whack big animals out west in their expensive, once-in-a-lifetime hunt don't want that trophy to get away if and when they get their long-awaited chance to get some lead into him.

The last thing most newbies need is a �brute� and �ass-kicker� rifle that generates such high levels of recoil that most will not be willing to put in the practice needed to achieve proficiency with it at any range, let alone the longer ranges where it shines.

Nor are newbies well served by your hyperbole suggesting otherwise. The fact is that a properly launched and constructed bullet from a hunter�s favorite �deer� rifle will serve quite well in the vast majority of situations. This is proven many times every year by many hunters.

Placement is the most important factor in bringing an animal down. If newbies don�t want �that trophy to get away� then their first focus should be on achieving a level of competency with their rifle that promotes good placement in the field. Very few hunters � newbie or experienced � will get there using a high-recoil cartridge/rifle combo and factory ammo that costs over $5 a shot as you do.

Again, congratulations on your success � but you are in a tiny minority. The tool you choose to use won�t work for and isn�t necessary for most hunters.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Placement is the most important factor in bringing an animal down. If newbies don�t want �that trophy to get away� then their first focus should be on achieving a level of competency with their rifle that promotes good placement in the field. Very few hunters � newbie or experienced � will get there using a high-recoil cartridge/rifle combo and factory ammo that costs over $5 a shot as you do.

Again, congratulations on your success � but you are in a tiny minority. The tool you choose to use won�t work for and isn�t necessary for most hunters.

Well, my 110-lb wife is a newbie. She just got a 375 Ruger on my recommendation and acquainted with a 270 and a 338.

We'll probably handload down to 338WM levels with 235-250grains, as long as they're accurate. Placement is primary.

It's just a little bigger hole. But the price was right for the 375 Ruger in left hand versions.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter

Two things.

How heavy was that critter that you are calling an 'elk'? Was it a 350 lb cow or spike or an 800lb old bull? And was it near private land or steep canyons or thick oakbrush or other hunters that might have put some lead into him on his way down and then tried to claim him as theirs?

That particular bull was a heavy older 5X5. No idea on the weight but it was mature.
It was already in steep canyons, but no road in the bottom. The nearest private land was miles away.
No other hunters were nearby that I knew of. Didn't change the fact that it folded up instantly at the shot.

I didn't allude to the fact that I NEED a big gun. I WANT one for the reasons I stated.
You're right. You didn't allude to it, you straight up said it in your OP. See the quote below from your OP.
This endeavor would need a REAL big bull cartridge and rifle. More than my terrific big muley killer 7mm Mag offered.

Consequently, I wanted a caliber that would knock an 800lb+ bull on his ass right then and there. I wanted a caliber that would let me shoot with confidence a bull from any angle, and would penetrate and slam him to keep me from losing him in thick brush or to topography or to another hunter (I'd heard and experienced the stories of lead packing bulls and fistfights).
By your own words a couple of those bulls made it at least some distance before dying. I've seen plenty of elk make it just a few feet before falling over when hit with rounds as small as a .25-06. Like I said, YMMV.

I WANT my big, sought-after, once-in-a-lifetime bull to drop and die right there without any unnecessary complications. And they have done that very thing..............very well............due to my .338 RUM.
I have no doubt they die very well from a 338 Ultra. I don't think anyone would say otherwise. Its a damn fine round if you can handle the recoil, and it sounds like you can.

Get off your high horse dude. You're not gaining any ground around here.

DH,

You are picking apart a few of my words instead of posting pics that support your very own position. Please post them up right now.

I bought a neat, great, stimulating, different, unique, cartridge/rifle that makes me happy and confident and successful. I felt great and almost high while having 8 6-point bulls raising hell around me and knowing that I could tip over any one at any time from any angle and that he wouldn't run into the next county before dying.

I'm gaining all kinda ground here cuz many newbies who want to whack big animals out west in their expensive, once-in-a-lifetime hunt don't want that trophy to get away if and when they get their long-awaited chance to get some lead into him.

I'm not quite sure how I was picking apart your words...I quoted a complete sentence from your OP.

I've killed plenty of elk and have no need to post pics. Nothing too huge anyhow as I am not much of a trophy hunter but I have guided a few to really good bulls.

I realize you're confident with that rifle and that is all fine and dandy. I am more than a little confidant with my .340 WBY as well. It hits HARD. Coyote_Hunter has summed up my thoughts on the newbie/hard kicker thing so I won't rehash it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Good for you and congratulations on your success with it.

The last thing most newbies need is a �brute� and �ass-kicker� rifle that generates such high levels of recoil that most will not be willing to put in the practice needed to achieve proficiency with it at any range, let alone the longer ranges where it shines.

Nor are newbies well served by your hyperbole suggesting otherwise. The fact is that a properly launched and constructed bullet from a hunter�s favorite �deer� rifle will serve quite well in the vast majority of situations. This is proven many times every year by many hunters.

C-H is right on the money. SBH you have an awesome weapon that you WANTED and YOU can handle, apparently very well I might add. However, you seem to be over the top in your preaching to the choir. You wanted a 338RUM. There are options. We all know it.
Newer hunters, male or female, in most cases, IMHO, should be encouraged to use modest calibers and cartridges that they can handle, mentally and physically. As we all know, recoil is 50% between the ears and 50% in the ears and on the shoulders. Practice makes adequate, not perfect, and new shooters will not enjoy being beat up in the name of FUN. They need manageable rifles not "ass-kickers". Some of us have already found that going 5 rounds with a Mike Tyson rifle is only tolerated when absolutely required.
Elk are harder to kill than many things on this planet but they are not ironclad nor carnivorous. My wife has dropped a nice 6 X 6 with her 7mm-08. Bang/flop no. DRT? Once he thought about it for 20 seconds he figured he should lie down and die rather than fall down.(She did drop a kudu as I watched in the binos... guess I blinked when the gun went off. I missed the flop on that one.) Bullet placement, as noted above, is what counts.
Yes, you CAN put a 338 RUM into the south end of a northbound elk but I would like to think I would be able to forego that temptation. I generally do but not always so a little edge helps at times.
That all said, I like and use a 338 WM usually pushing out 250 gr Grand Slams. At last count I have taken 17 different species (total #s might take some research)from Alaska to Africa and not found it wanting, multiple elk included. I generally take it if I suspect my game will exceed 500-600 pounds or might eat me given an opportunity. I also find it a little bit of a plus that obtaining 338 WM ammo, should airlines abuse me, is at least probable at my destination. Wildcats, I have a couple, and those less than "old stand-by" cartridges that may be problematic get to skip the trip unless I can drive.
I'm glad you cherish your 338 RUM but I have no need or desire for one and I believe I have at least 9 elk capable cartridges in my vault in addition to my 338 WM given my personal parameters of an ethical shot on an elk size game animal. But upon reflection: Why do I only have 10 such rifles??
Son, you need a nice soak in the hot tub, relax, find a wee dram of Scotland's finest and relax..... This is supposed to be FUN. jm2c

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love my 338 RUM but after seeing 22 of 23 elk killed in six years, I can't say it makes a noticeable difference in killing over my buddies 7RM. We are shooting cows and raghorns on highly pressured public in Colorado. I'm still going to grab my RUM but I don't think its necessary, but I still like killing stuff with it. I shoot 210 Scirrocos and he shoots 160 accubonds. Pretty much put it in the boiler and they die. Off the mark a bit requires follow up shots.

Salmonhead
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that's a real-world, no-nonsense post.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I'll just keep my Kimber 7WSM.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,642
Posts18,512,297
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.